Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Best Movies in Blu-Ray? 
Post Best Movies in Blu-Ray?
For Christmas, I bought my host brother Wall-E in blu-ray, and it was better than in the theatre! I'm hearing good thing about Speed Racer in blu-ray (regardless of the story, which seemed to split people's opinion right and left) so I'm getting that on Netflix too.

What other movies that will look amazing in Blu-Ray that you recommend? Will doubly appreciate if it's avaible on Netflix.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 am
Post Re: Best Movies in Blu-Ray?
The Dark Knight...right now, it's my "show off" flick. WALL-E is something else, as well.

Also, personally, I absolutely LOVE The Shining on Blu-Ray...yes, it's an older film, so you're not going to get that digital quality look you'd get with others, but it's easily the best print of the film I've seen.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:59 am
Speed Racer is probably the best looking one I've seen yet... I was blown away when I got that from netflix. The second best looking I've seen was Zodiac, not a flaw to be found - the texture is absolutely stunning. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a doozy as well!

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 am
2001: A Space Odyssey looks pretty good. Ditto for Pixar films. I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Godfather trilogy would look very tasty.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 pm
Ultimately my experience with Blu Ray is that the films are as good as their source prints.

CE3K is a good example. It's a great movie and it's never looked better on home video. However, it is not going to be a demo disc as their is grain and speckles that is consistent with film of 30 years ago that have not been fully restored.

There is a reason that retail chains demo with Dark Knight and Pixar

Rob

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 pm
Wall-E nearly convinced me to get a plasma screen + Blu-Ray. It looked too incredible to be believed -- far, far superior to the version I caught on the big screen.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 am
I am fortunate to have a 120" screen and a 1080p projector and Wall-E is sensational

However, they are not all like that :-(

Rob

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
I am fortunate to have a 120" screen and a 1080p projector and Wall-E is sensational

Rob

Rob,

If you're ever looking to give away some money I know a certain midwestern Jew starting a career with a young family in tow. (*majoraphasia points to own self and motions toward family)

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:11 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Rob,

If you're ever looking to give away some money I know a certain midwestern Jew starting a career with a young family in tow. (*majoraphasia points to own self and motions toward family)

I'm always amazed at people who buy big plasma screens when for less they could have a setup that would blow their mind
A screen 10 feet across in bright (perfect black) 1080P is a thing to behold

It's just more cinematic :-)
Rob

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:50 am
2001 looks pretty great especially when you consider how old it is. No Country for Old Men is a fantastic looking BD and you get a great film with it as well, the current Pixar discs all look nice as well but I suggest Ratatouille and Wall-E since Cars is not a very good film at all.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 pm
Nick wrote:
2001 looks pretty great especially when you consider how old it is. No Country for Old Men is a fantastic looking BD and you get a great film with it as well, the current Pixar discs all look nice as well but I suggest Ratatouille and Wall-E since Cars is not a very good film at all.

I have the HD DVD of 2001 and you're right it's gorgeous for the period. But not one you'd use to demo the system
I actually like Cars. saw it at the Pixar in house theater in a digital exhibition - breathtaking!

Rob

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:41 pm
Nick wrote:
Cars is not a very good film at all.

You have made an enemy today...cause I rank Cars in the Top 3 of Pixar movies behind Toy Story and Wall-E.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm
Patrick wrote:
Nick wrote:
Cars is not a very good film at all.

You have made an enemy today...cause I rank Cars in the Top 3 of Pixar movies behind Toy Story and Wall-E.

The consensus is that Cars sits in the bottom of the three great groups of Pixar movies

even within their campus there seems to be agremment on that

BTW - I've repeatedly heard that Toy Story 2 was their considered best pre Ratatouille and Wall-E

Rob

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:57 pm
Best 3 Pixar:
Finding Nemo
Wall E
Toy Story 2

Worst Pixar:
Cars (dead last)
A Bug's Life

I still think Brad Bird's work for Pixar is emotionally detached, aside from slightly more than a few scenes of emotional vitality. The Incredible and Ratatouille are both very good entertainment, but they will never rival Staunton's films for emotional impact or for the seamless arc of the storylines.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:23 pm