Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 am

It's about to snow down south way 
Second Unit Director

Post It's about to snow down south way
School is cancelled for the next couple of days....bout to go on a snow day binder. Hell, I might even watch snow day.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
This is probably a better Tweet than a topic, homeboy. We get it that you like to get bent and that you place nothing higher in your priorities. Really, we get it. No one's offended, but no one cares.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:31 pm
Cinematographer

My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:20 pm
Auteur

CasualDad wrote:
My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.

It sounds like you're the lucky one, I hate winter and snow with a passion, and we got way too much of it here in Illinois for my liking, so i'd gladly trade places with you. It's times like this where I wish I lived in someplace where there's almost never snow like California.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:57 pm
Cinematographer

I don't actually like snow either, but we only get an accumulating snowfall about once every five years so it is a fun diversion when it happens around here. I did go to Chicago once in January and learned what winter is all about. Other than the cold I absolutely love my infrequent visits to Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
This is probably a better Tweet than a topic, homeboy. We get it that you like to get bent and that you place nothing higher in your priorities. Really, we get it. No one's offended, but no one cares.

Nothing wrong with a little weather thread.

Here in Maryland, we get all four seasons, but it's more like 4 months each of winter and summer, 2 months each of spring and fall.

But when people start going "oooooh, I'm taking a picture of my car thermometer! Aren't I clever?" then I have to offer my rebuttal....

Attachments:
bm.jpg
bm.jpg [ 31.27 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:19 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

It sounds like you're the lucky one, I hate winter and snow with a passion, and we got way too much of it here in Illinois for my liking, so i'd gladly trade places with you. It's times like this where I wish I lived in someplace where there's almost never snow like California.

Illinois...damn, I feel for you. I live in New Hampshire, and it's been cold, but not like it has been out in the Midwest.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm
Producer

Where I'm from, snow is cute.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

Illinois...damn, I feel for you. I live in New Hampshire, and it's been cold, but not like it has been out in the Midwest.

No kidding, it was especially cold today and yesterday, wind chills at 0 degrees and below are something fierce. It got so bad that my local community college had to close down yesterday and today. Thankfully it won't be nearly as bad for the rest of the month.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm
Producer

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Cinematographer

You'd get a real good laugh down here. No one knows how to drive in it and when the weatherman even hints that there's a possibility of snow the stores are emptied out immediately. Guess everyone thinks they might get cabin bound for a few weeks. The local news stations will milk it for all it's worth to the point where snow is jokingly referred to as the "white death" even though it rarely accumulates and almost never remains longer than three days. We did have an ice storm almost exactly 20 years ago that kept the city shut down for about a week - I guess everyone believes each weather event will be the next coming of the great ice in.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 pm
Director

Everyone's reaction to snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:56 pm
Second Unit Director

It hasn't been bad for me. I live downtown and can walk a block to any store or restaurant. It seems it is the Day after Tomorrow in Atlanta and Birmingham however. Several of my friends had to abandon their cars on the sides of the road after 5-7 hours of not moving. Everything is shut down...a cop even had to deliver a baby in the backseat yesterday.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm
Second Unit Director

On days when the temp won't go above zero, I've ridden the bus. Lived on the bus route for 12 years and this is the first year I've ridden it. This winter has been especially harsh in my area with almost 2/3 of the last 2 months having a below zero temp every day. Hell, during our winter parade back in December it was -4. My group was riding bikes.

This morning was -12. Yesterday a quick storm dropped about 6" of snow on us. We'd already had 25" in January on top of the 20" in December. The ski trails are in good shape, but so far 2 of the past 4 XC skiing lessons for the kids have been cancelled due to cold. My club is hosting a snowshoe/snowbike race in about a week and pre-reg is WAY down. Everyone is looking to the forecast to help them decide. If last winter (12-13) was the winter that hung on for a long time (still had snow the week before Mother's Day) this winter is the one that bites hard and deep.

It seems like I should have plenty of time to watch movies, but I have been doing trip planning with my 8yr old for a multi-day bike trip we're taking next summer.

I expect to be paying off this winter's heating bill well into July.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

When i was young in either kindergarten or first grade, school was closed for two weeks because of the snow. Majority of the first week it snowed. Then it didn't get above freezing. Now they cancel on the threat of snow and if it does snow they still hold school. We live in a lawsuit culture. Where we can easily be sued for anything.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:24 pm