Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
It's about to snow down south way 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post It's about to snow down south way
School is cancelled for the next couple of days....bout to go on a snow day binder. Hell, I might even watch snow day.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 418
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
This is probably a better Tweet than a topic, homeboy. We get it that you like to get bent and that you place nothing higher in your priorities. Really, we get it. No one's offended, but no one cares.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:31 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:20 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
CasualDad wrote:
My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.

It sounds like you're the lucky one, I hate winter and snow with a passion, and we got way too much of it here in Illinois for my liking, so i'd gladly trade places with you. It's times like this where I wish I lived in someplace where there's almost never snow like California.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:57 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
I don't actually like snow either, but we only get an accumulating snowfall about once every five years so it is a fun diversion when it happens around here. I did go to Chicago once in January and learned what winter is all about. Other than the cold I absolutely love my infrequent visits to Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1054
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Shade2 wrote:
This is probably a better Tweet than a topic, homeboy. We get it that you like to get bent and that you place nothing higher in your priorities. Really, we get it. No one's offended, but no one cares.


Nothing wrong with a little weather thread.

Here in Maryland, we get all four seasons, but it's more like 4 months each of winter and summer, 2 months each of spring and fall.

But when people start going "oooooh, I'm taking a picture of my car thermometer! Aren't I clever?" then I have to offer my rebuttal....


Attachments:
bm.jpg
bm.jpg [ 31.27 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5
Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:19 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:
My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.

It sounds like you're the lucky one, I hate winter and snow with a passion, and we got way too much of it here in Illinois for my liking, so i'd gladly trade places with you. It's times like this where I wish I lived in someplace where there's almost never snow like California.


Illinois...damn, I feel for you. I live in New Hampshire, and it's been cold, but not like it has been out in the Midwest.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Where I'm from, snow is cute.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:
My kids are bummed. All the snow went south of us here in north Mississippi. Hope you get some snow that has a little body to it. The dusting we got this morning was so powdery and dry that even if a decent amount fell you couldn't pack it together.

It sounds like you're the lucky one, I hate winter and snow with a passion, and we got way too much of it here in Illinois for my liking, so i'd gladly trade places with you. It's times like this where I wish I lived in someplace where there's almost never snow like California.


Illinois...damn, I feel for you. I live in New Hampshire, and it's been cold, but not like it has been out in the Midwest.

No kidding, it was especially cold today and yesterday, wind chills at 0 degrees and below are something fierce. It got so bad that my local community college had to close down yesterday and today. Thankfully it won't be nearly as bad for the rest of the month.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Image

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
You'd get a real good laugh down here. No one knows how to drive in it and when the weatherman even hints that there's a possibility of snow the stores are emptied out immediately. Guess everyone thinks they might get cabin bound for a few weeks. The local news stations will milk it for all it's worth to the point where snow is jokingly referred to as the "white death" even though it rarely accumulates and almost never remains longer than three days. We did have an ice storm almost exactly 20 years ago that kept the city shut down for about a week - I guess everyone believes each weather event will be the next coming of the great ice in.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
Everyone's reaction to snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
It hasn't been bad for me. I live downtown and can walk a block to any store or restaurant. It seems it is the Day after Tomorrow in Atlanta and Birmingham however. Several of my friends had to abandon their cars on the sides of the road after 5-7 hours of not moving. Everything is shut down...a cop even had to deliver a baby in the backseat yesterday.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 237
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
On days when the temp won't go above zero, I've ridden the bus. Lived on the bus route for 12 years and this is the first year I've ridden it. This winter has been especially harsh in my area with almost 2/3 of the last 2 months having a below zero temp every day. Hell, during our winter parade back in December it was -4. My group was riding bikes.

This morning was -12. Yesterday a quick storm dropped about 6" of snow on us. We'd already had 25" in January on top of the 20" in December. The ski trails are in good shape, but so far 2 of the past 4 XC skiing lessons for the kids have been cancelled due to cold. My club is hosting a snowshoe/snowbike race in about a week and pre-reg is WAY down. Everyone is looking to the forecast to help them decide. If last winter (12-13) was the winter that hung on for a long time (still had snow the week before Mother's Day) this winter is the one that bites hard and deep.

It seems like I should have plenty of time to watch movies, but I have been doing trip planning with my 8yr old for a multi-day bike trip we're taking next summer.

I expect to be paying off this winter's heating bill well into July.

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 pm
Posts: 163
Post Re: It's about to snow down south way
When i was young in either kindergarten or first grade, school was closed for two weeks because of the snow. Majority of the first week it snowed. Then it didn't get above freezing. Now they cancel on the threat of snow and if it does snow they still hold school. We live in a lawsuit culture. Where we can easily be sued for anything.


Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr