Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post Re: What are you reading?
stiefmo wrote:
Lamb is the only book by Christopher Moore that i've read and I loved it. The way he lets humor seep in ever so slightly and the way he phrases his commentary were both very appealing to me. I tore through this book.

Love Christopher Moore's books and Lamb is definitely my favorite. SO many good lines. It's a riot.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 pm
Democracy has spoken! Lamb it is... and all for $7, shipping included. Amazon!* Or: associate partner of Amazon!

*Amazon, by the by, has started shipping most of their stuff via USPS. The promise that books would be shipped "through a variety of carriers" is apparently a dream that's only possible to those willing to shell out for expedited shipping and this is a bit of a shame for us 3-5 day shoppers; the last few things that were ordered via 3-5 shipping took 10-12 business days to arrive. This isn't a problem with the USPS but rather Amazon's patented Lie To Me automated update technology: by declaring a producted "Shipped" (and then immediately charged to the credit card) the actual product must leave the facility -- the journey to the postal intermediary can take anywhere from 3 days to a week. Unacceptable! Especially as I could have had free shipping and gotten my orders in roughly the same time. With the prices of shipping, and the cost of UPS to carry parcels, I'd gladly pay an extra $0.50 to $1.00 per order to make that 3-5 day arrival actually happen. It's not outrageous but it is a little irritating -- shouldn't they have some Automatic Apology Service that offers a hangdog "I'm sorry" to those that wait two weeks for something that would have arrived in 3-5 days in better times? I won't stop using Amazon (it's not as if I'm ordering medical supplies or something that really can't wait for 10 or so days) but it's... well, I've already said it all. Time to step off the shabby soapbox.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 pm
JJoshay wrote:
I'm about sixty pages into The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson; so far so good.

Now I'm on to The Girl Who Played With Fire. 94 pages and I started it last night.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:39 am
I just finished Jonathan Kellerman's When the Bough Breaks and found it to be a pretty solid mystery. I'll probably be picking up his other books from time-to-time.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 am
About 70 pages left in Christopher Moore's Lamb and have been wondering for the past 200 or so pages if Tom Robbins feels a little irritated at Moore's treading the same ground. It's breezy and entertaining but isn't any more substantial than pink-jacketed Chick Lit that can be found at the local Giant Eagle food shopper. I guess it doesn't pretend to be, really. Not my idea of time well spent but these cult humorists (Chuck Palahniuk, Christopher Moore, Tom Robbins) never really did much for me after the first couple of volumes.

Want funny? Read The Corrections. That's funny. And quiet. And well-written and, even better, finished.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:49 am
rereading House of Leaves. This book is an exercise in literary masochism.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:06 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:

And how. I liked it... I've been meaning to re-read it for a few years now. His next book, Only Revolutions, was also frustrating/interesting/very good. Recommend to people who have long attention spans.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

And how. I liked it... I've been meaning to re-read it for a few years now. His next book, Only Revolutions, was also frustrating/interesting/very good. Recommend to people who have long attention spans.

I feel like HoL is not really one of those book you enjoy, but one of those books you need to read, know whadImean? I tried Only revolutions, but damn, it was just too out there for me.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:02 pm
Currently denting Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, a speculative fiction from an author that usually keeps it on the down low. She always has some sci-fi element in her books but it tends to be a 'lost work' or 'aborted work' or 'disgraceful work' and she assigns it to a minor character. Not this time! It's interesting and spare.

---

Finished Christopher Moore's Lamb and while I didn't like the book very much I'll give the guy another shot -- he knows how to tell a story. If only he didn't force so many fraternity-lite jokes. The best part? The last five pages wherein Moore, in his acknowledgements, lays out all the changes he made to biblical history. More of that and less of the other would have been good.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm
I did manage to finish Man Gone Down a few weeks back, and man, hell of a book. Hell of a recommendation major man. Thank you.

Also, a few of you managed to convince me to purchase Never Let Me Go. I'm currently at the beginning of Part Three. A page turner, that one. Can't wait to finish. Did you guys know that the film adaptation is coming out in September?

I wish I could come in here and recommend books to you guys, but that would mean 4th grade level reading such as Where the Red Fern Grows or Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 am
ram1312 wrote:
I did manage to finish Man Gone Down a few weeks back, and man, hell of a book. Hell of a recommendation major man. Thank you.

Also, a few of you managed to convince me to purchase Never Let Me Go. I'm currently at the beginning of Part Three. A page turner, that one. Can't wait to finish. Did you guys know that the film adaptation is coming out in September?

You're welcome on Man Gone Down. It may not have gotten the credit it deserved at the time of its release due to some publishing problems that lead to scaled-back promotion (never a bad thing) and an initial release as a paperback -- either way, the book speaks for itself and is an outstanding companion to Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man among other novels that offer exceptional portraits of the racial times.

Never Let Me Go remains my #1 novel of the first 10 years of the 2000s and my hope is that the film version doesn't tread to deeply upon a book that will be studied for years.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 pm
Finished Never Let Me Go. It's sad really...kind of devasting but a fantastic journey. I have a strong feeling Hollywood is going to butcher this slow build of a book. Although...Keira Knightley and Carey Fucking Mulligan star in this film. That gives me some hope and I am anxious to see it. Thanks again for the recommendation guys.

So yesterday I made an impulse buy. This book called The Cheese Monkeys caught my eye. I guess it's the debut novel from an author named Chip Kidd. I just read that he's well known for his book jacket designs. Didn't say much about his writing though. We'll see.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm
I recently finished two books:

Fluke by Christopher Moore: 3.5/5
To say this book takes an unexpected turn about halfway through is an understatement. I wasn't sure it would work, but Moore makes it fit. Not nearly as funny as his other novels though.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk: 4.5/5
I think I prefer the ending to the movie over the ending to the book, but Chuck's debut novel is very strong.

Currently I'm re-reading Bret Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero. Ellis just released a sequel to this novel entitled Imperial Bedrooms, which I can't wait to read, so I wanted to brush up on the first novel again.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 pm
Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis: 5/5
Fantastic prose combined with biting satire. Hard to believe Ellis was only 21 when the book was published.

Next up: Chuck Palahniuk's latest, Tell-All.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
Fantastic prose combined with biting satire. Hard to believe Ellis was only 21 when the book was published.

Hey kratz.

Have you read Ellis' American Psycho? It's the only Ellis book I have read but I think, based on your 5 out of 5, I have a new Ellis novel to read.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:02 pm
ram1312 wrote:
mkratzer21 wrote:

Hey kratz.

Have you read Ellis' American Psycho? It's the only Ellis book I have read but I think, based on your 5 out of 5, I have a new Ellis novel to read.

In my opinion, American Psycho is Ellis's best work (I've read all of his books except his latest, Imperial Bedrooms), and probably my favorite novel. I would rank Less Than Zero his second best work. I enjoyed all of his books except for The Informers. You can skip that one.

I think after Palahniuk's latest, I'm going to re-read American Psycho. It's been awhile since I've read it. I wonder if the second time around it will disturb me as much as the first time.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:18 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hello all. I am currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. Only in the mid 200s right now, but the story has already taken some unexpected turns. As the reviews have stated, the book is very well written and seems to be more than just a thriller. Not sure what everyone's flavor is, but its been a great read so far for any interested.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Finished Never Let Me Go. It's sad really...kind of devasting but a fantastic journey. I have a strong feeling Hollywood is going to butcher this slow build of a book. Although...Keira Knightley and Carey Fucking Mulligan star in this film. That gives me some hope and I am anxious to see it. Thanks again for the recommendation guys.

You know who rocks? You do!

I didn't see your post before but it was spot on. They've assembled an interesting cast AND crew for the adaptation but to me it's a story that just works so damn well as a book. I have no idea how the movie will be. Last I checked it was scheduled for late this year though so perhaps they feel it has Oscar potential.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:07 pm
Just about finished with Crime & Punishment, which is a lot easier to admire than to love. It might be something to do with the fact that it has served as source material for countless adaptations and homages since its publication. You could say that it's almost unnecessary to sit down and read it, given that the broad strokes of the story and the themes will have already been transmitted via osmosis into the blood of any movie-and-book-person.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:27 pm
Ken wrote:
Just about finished with Crime & Punishment, which is a lot easier to admire than to love. It might be something to do with the fact that it has served as source material for countless adaptations and homages since its publication. You could say that it's almost unnecessary to sit down and read it, given that the broad strokes of the story and the themes will have already been transmitted via osmosis into the blood of any movie-and-book-person.

According to Vonnegut (well one of his characters), Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov contains "everything you need to know about life" (or something like that). Care to read another Russian epic novel and let us know if he was telling the truth?

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next