Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post Re: What are you reading?
Unke wrote:

I am currently reading Blood Meridian and I must admit that it is a bit of a struggle for me. Maybe that's because I'm not a native English speaker and my vocabulary is sadly lacking. In contrast, the fantastic The Road was a real page-turner, one of the best novels I've read in years.

Me? I don't like giving advice. Who am I, anyway? But, Unke, I'd like to give you some advice.

Find a copy of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass and read it alongside Blood Meridian. The two enrich one another in a completely unforeseeable way and, as an added advantage, make the progress through either piece all the easier. Blood Meridian is one of the works of prose that can, and should, be confused for poetry as often as possible.

As for me, I'm reading Dave Eggers' Zeitoun. Eggers takes on misconceptions about Islam (that's good!), misconceptions about America's response to hurricane Katrina (that's good!), and does it all in a hackneyed junior-reporter way (that's TERRIBLE!). The good doesn't balance out the bad in Eggers latest, at least not at page 250. But if his writing career ever flags he'd make an excellent advisor to Oprah Winfrey or anyone else that exploits misfortune for a few solid hours of entertainment.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:05 am
A couple days ago I read Twilight...that Twilight...my thoughts are here on my blog

Basically, if you thought the movie sucked....this is worse, much worse.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:07 am
Thanks, Patrick. Enjoyed the blog. Hated the book. I feel like a dope for having read Twilight, but my teenaged neighbor had a copy, and her mom loaned it to me, because she knows I love to read...'nuff said. At least you have the excuse of a blog review.

I expect we'll be reading your thoughts on Meyer's second novel any time now, right? Right? :lol:

Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Thanks, Patrick. Enjoyed the blog. Hated the book. I feel like a dope for having read Twilight, but my teenaged neighbor had a copy, and her mom loaned it to me, because she knows I love to read...'nuff said. At least you have the excuse of a blog review.

I expect we'll be reading your thoughts on Meyer's second novel any time now, right? Right? :lol:

Depends on my local library...and that goes for the rest. Now you ask why? Well apparently, in Breaking Dawn(the last book) has something so awesome...I'm going to put in spoiler tags to contain it's awesomeness.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Edward impregnates Bella with some demon child that wants to escape her womb by eating it's way out! So Edward has to do an impromptu and emergency C-Section....WITH HIS TEETH!

This could very well be The Marine of literature...but I got to read New Moon and Eclipse for that Breaking Dawn to make sense.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:29 pm
Just knowing that someone even considered the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
demon fetus
as a plot point brightens my day considerably. Makes my own writing career seem much less bleak in comparison. Although I haven't sold 50 bajillion books like Meyer.

What the HELL is wrong with this world? :D

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm
After I finish reading/write at least 100,000 pages of Twilight Fan Fiction I plan to finish Tom Robbins' Skinny Legs and All. Have you read anything by Robbins? Somehow he's Vonnegut-lite. That's weird.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 am
Tom Robbins is one of those writers who you think is so incredibly profound when you're like 16 or 17, but then you get a little older and you realize that, nah, he's just an asshole. But you were probably an asshole when you were 16 or 17, too, so it's okay

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am
As of right now I am reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I just finished the first Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, which was about as entertaining as anything else I've read in years. You can't go wrong with any book that makes the Mormons out as cousins to The Spanish Inquisition. There was a severe lack of cocaine though, something which I feel will be corrected in novel #2, The Sign of Four. Unless the back of my book is lying to me, in which case my fictional cocaine deficiency will continue.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm
Agreed on Tom Robbins. I remember reading Still Life With Woodpecker in high school, and thinking it was pretty intellectual at the time. I like to think I've matured a little since then, but I'm also reading Ian Fleming's James Bond series again. So, take that for what it's worth...

I also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes collection. Got the complete set for Christmas last year, and pick it up and read a little here and there. I read Study in Scarlet, then transitioned right into Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, which makes for a very skewed view of Mormonism.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
As of right now I am reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I just finished the first Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, which was about as entertaining as anything else I've read in years. You can't go wrong with any book that makes the Mormons out as cousins to The Spanish Inquisition. There was a severe lack of cocaine though, something which I feel will be corrected in novel #2, The Sign of Four. Unless the back of my book is lying to me, in which case my fictional cocaine deficiency will continue.

I did the same last year. 4 novels and 50-something short stories later and I don't want to read another word from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Ditto for Mark Twain. Omnibus editions are nice, but I don't think I can read another in its entirety without mixing a little something in.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm
Cinematographer

Kyle wrote:
Tom Robbins is one of those writers who you think is so incredibly profound when you're like 16 or 17, but then you get a little older and you realize that, nah, he's just an asshole. But you were probably an asshole when you were 16 or 17, too, so it's okay

I'm 17, tried reading Another Roadside Attraction recently, I did not like it at all. It was fairly arrogant.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 am
Cinematographer

Kyle wrote:

I'm 17, tried reading Another Roadside Attraction recently, I did not like it at all. It was fairly arrogant.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 am
My brother left an old copy of Nightmares and Dreamscapes at the shop and seeing as how it was a slow day and I'd actually never read King before, I started reading and was pleasantly surprised. Dolan's Cadillac is my favorite so far...it's marvelous. I think I'll be reading more Stephen King in the future...

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 am
Moovy1 wrote:
My brother left an old copy of Nightmares and Dreamscapes at the shop and seeing as how it was a slow day and I'd actually never read King before, I started reading and was pleasantly surprised. Dolan's Cadillac is my favorite so far...it's marvelous. I think I'll be reading more Stephen King in the future...

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is one of my favorite collections of his. That's the one with "You Know They Got A Hell of a Band", isn't it? A good story.

"Dolan's Cadillac" was very cool, and he did an essay about baseball that I enjoyed as well.

Hope you like it. And I would also recommend Night Shift (his first collection), Danse Macabre (nonfiction, delving into his interest in horror), and On Writing (a combo autobiography/writing manual).

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is one of my favorite collections of his. That's the one with "You Know They Got A Hell of a Band", isn't it? A good story.

"Dolan's Cadillac" was very cool, and he did an essay about baseball that I enjoyed as well.

Hope you like it. And I would also recommend Night Shift (his first collection), Danse Macabre (nonfiction, delving into his interest in horror), and On Writing (a combo autobiography/writing manual).

Thanks buddy. A good piece of writing sticks with ya for a minute and I'm head over heels for Stephen King right now. I'll definitely be looking at those suggestions...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:01 am
I picked up the more-expensive-than-the-hardback-edition paperback (3 volumes of lovely) of Roberto Bolaño's 2666. It's allegedly the first draft of the book (and thus only draft as this was published posthumously one year after the author's death) but there's no roughness around the edges. It's just plain fucking great.
Attachment:
26661.jpg
26661.jpg [ 3.92 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

It clocks in at 900 pages and remains unfinished (although, I've been informed, it is rendered meaningless by the last 100 pages -- this, incidentally, being a great example of critics trespassing over an author's work) but, given the sheer crazy enthusiasm of the performance, it would be too short at twice that length. Bolaño is an excellent author (if only I could read his work untranslated) and highly recommended -- blending satire, horror, sci-fi, mystery, period fiction... everything! He was the ultimate literary performer and the best prose craftsman since Nabokov. No lie. If 2666 isn't, up to this point, as wonderful as his 1999 work The Savage Detectives it's no crime -- it's hard to pull off flawed masterpieces every go-round.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I picked up the more-expensive-than-the-hardback-edition paperback (3 volumes of lovely) of Roberto Bolaño's 2666. It's allegedly the first draft of the book (and thus only draft as this was published posthumously one year after the author's death) but there's no roughness around the edges. It's just plain fucking great.
Attachment:
The attachment 26661.jpg is no longer available

It clocks in at 900 pages and remains unfinished (although, I've been informed, it is rendered meaningless by the last 100 pages -- this, incidentally, being a great example of critics trespassing over an author's work) but, given the sheer crazy enthusiasm of the performance, it would be too short at twice that length. Bolaño is an excellent author (if only I could read his work untranslated) and highly recommended -- blending satire, horror, sci-fi, mystery, period fiction... everything! He was the ultimate literary performer and the best prose craftsman since Nabokov. No lie. If 2666 isn't, up to this point, as wonderful as his 1999 work The Savage Detectives it's no crime -- it's hard to pull off flawed masterpieces every go-round.

Let's see...

Attachment:
lt.JPG
lt.JPG [ 13.02 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]

ah, so I will certainly probably like this book. Thanks, LibraryThing!

I'm currently working my way through a novella that has loads of words like slooshy, krovvy and malchik, brother. The protagonist (or is it antagonist?) is one Alex and he is a very naughty boy. All that ultra-violence and the old in-out-in-out has just landed him in prison.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:38 pm
Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well.

It’s funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

Books make you less fashionable, you know.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:45 pm
Went to the beach for a couple days and finished Watership Down by Richard Adams. What can I say? Almost 500 pages about rabbits trying to burrow and mate and I was riveted the whole time. This could've been written by Homer. I'm gonna need to dig up the 70's animated adaptation of this to see if it does it justice.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 pm
El Duderino wrote:
Went to the beach for a couple days and finished Watership Down by Richard Adams. What can I say? Almost 500 pages about rabbits trying to burrow and mate and I was riveted the whole time. This could've been written by Homer. I'm gonna need to dig up the 70's animated adaptation of this to see if it does it justice.

It's just as depressing as the novel and makes for a terrible date night. Take a look at his follow-up, Tales from Watership Down, for a much differnt look at the same colony. It isn't quite as Homeric (good call, incidentally) but it's a nice companion piece all the same.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next