Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Who can beat my thanksgiving spread? 
Second Unit Director

Post Who can beat my thanksgiving spread?
I love Thanksgiving week. A whole week where I do nothing but watch movies, drink, see old friends, play xbox, hit the links, and watch football.

Every Thanksgiving thursday, my family heads down to my aunt's place where my grandmother and aunt cook up a feast of deliciousness:

Turkey with stuffing
Ham

chicken and dumplings
peas
butter beans
green bean casserole
squash casserole
broccoli casserole
dressing with cranberry sauce
candid yams
sweet potatoes
creamed corn
deviled eggs
corn bread

pumpkin pie
pecan pie
caramel cake
strawberry short cake
red velvet cake
fruit cake

Anyone else look forward to food comas, and/or any other special traditions?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:46 pm
Producer

Post Re: Who can beat my thanksgiving spread?
Monday, I have been invited to see the theatrical exhibition of the Doctor Who special, which should be lots of fun. As a matter of fact, the people going are a married couple, plus a mutual friend on whom I have something of a schoolboy crush. That makes me fairly delighted to be the fourth wheel.

Thursday, it's up to my grandparents' place for dinner and an overnight stay. There's always plenty of good food, but this year I'll probably make some sort of vegetarian loaf, for both myself and anybody who wants to brave my weird dietary habits. When you don't eat meat, it's a good strategy to bring a dish to pass at any family gathering, just to make sure everybody gets to enjoy a food coma. Maybe I'll bake treats, too. I like making stuff. I don't know yet.

Saturday, my band is hosting a concert for our first album release, which should be pretty awesome. We've got a relatively long show planned--we're playing the album in its entirety, plus some stuff we've written for the next one and some cover songs. We've got a couple bands we've played with before to open for us as well. Everybody in the band is going to dress nicely. I always dress nicely for our shows, so maybe I'm rubbing off on them.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm
Cinematographer

Not me. All of f the traditional keepers of Thanksgiving and Christmas in our family have passed on. Time to start anew, but with only 4 of us plus my Father-in-Law the spread won't be nearly as good.

Going to smoke a turkey (first attempt and hoping for the best). Will certainly make a cornbread dressing and plenty of veggies. The one tradition that carries on: My mom used to make a couple of sweet potato pies and dad and I would split one for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. Now I make the sweet potato pies and my son and I have some for breakfast.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 am
Assistant Director

ITIS aplenty over here. I helped make green bean casserole one year and will probably do it again this time. As for football, ugh..... I hope the Green Bay-Detroit game ends in a tie so my Bears can get a leg up in the division. That would be awesome.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:26 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

As I'm still a kid, I engage in all of the traditions of my parents. I get two major dinners every Thanksgiving week. The first is on Wednesday night, for my mom's side of the family at a relative's house. There are typically upwards of 40 people there, and tables are rented. A lot of food.

On Thanksgiving night, there is a smaller, quieter dinner at home with a few immediate members of my dad's side of the family.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 pm
Profile WWW