Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:27 am

Is anybody on this forum like me? 
Second Unit Director

Post Is anybody on this forum like me?
I'm an upper middle class, white, southern, protestant, republican, conservative, 20-something, that loves the following:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing
and of course: MOVIES

If I met everybody else that was like me, I would be bored. I can almost get along with anybody, but I just feel like everything I say goes against the norm on this board. Are any of you fuckers out there remotely like me? Do we have anything in common besides movies?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:14 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Is anybody on this forum like me?
White, Protestant, and generally conservative are the only things you listed that we have in common.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Do we have anything in common besides movies?

Testicles.

Bilateral symmetry.

(I'm assuming.)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:58 am
Cinematographer

I was a lot like you when the same age except I had hardly seen snow and was too shy and nerdy for tail chasing. Gave up drinking 10 years ago (but did enjoy it and still miss it quite a bit). The rest of the list applies except that I've never been a republican, but my views and voting patterns are conservative. Not sure if I ever qualified as "upper" - probably more to the lower end of the middle class.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:31 am
Cinematographer

We are on the same side of the political and economic spectrum, but I'm about 15-20 years older and a bit more grounded from what I can tell (wife and kids will do that). I'd rank football as my favorite spectator sport, but I am very much a "Homer". I see plenty of snow, but confine myself to sledding (with the kids) and cross country skiing.

I find myself agreeing with you more than I disagree, but I do disagree from time to time.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 am
Assistant Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm an upper middle class, white, southern, protestant, republican, conservative, 20-something, that loves the following:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing

If I met everybody else that was like me, I would be bored. I can almost get along with anybody, but I just feel like everything I say goes against the norm on this board. Are any of you fuckers out there remotely like me? Do we have anything in common besides movies?

Definitely a football fan, and I've been skiing a few times rather than snowboarding. And as for getting shithammered? I just turned 30 and I can still do it with the best of them.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing

Definitely a football fan, and I've been skiing a few times rather than snowboarding. And as for getting shithammered? I just turned 30 and I can still do it with the best of them.

I've never been drunk in my life and never want to be for as long as I live(my family does not have a good history with alcohol to say the least)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm
Assistant Director

Okay, maybe "shithammered" is a bit too much. I can take part in a night of drinking/partying, but not to the point where I'm throwing up. I've long since found my personal stopping point.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:24 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing

Let's see:

Upper middle class? Not even close.

White? Yep.

Southern? Uhm, I live in North Carolina, but I'm not a native and don't really consider myself a Carolinian, so I'd say no, but most people would probably say that I am.

Protestant? Yes, I'm a Methodist.

Conservative? Yes, very, especially on economics.

20-something? Not since early 1992.

As for the loves list, only college football. Used to be a big NFL fan, but not so much anymore. Drank a good bit back in college, but not much since (I probably consumed more alcohol in the 4 years I was in college than in the 29 since I graduated). And I don't chase tail anymore since I got married.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:51 pm
Auteur

Upper-middle-class- I wish, lower-middle is more like.

Conservative- On a few things(I.E. Gun control, foreign policy and the death penalty) but otherwise mostly liberal/moderate.

Southern-Nothern, and honestly i'm glad I don't live in the south for a variety.
of reasons

Football-Not really into sports at all, I find them very boring and IMO the Superbowl to be one of the most overhyped events of all time.

Protestant-Nope, not religious in the slightest. My parents are Christian but despite my best efforts I just couldn't bring myself to believe in God, Satan, or any of that stuff.

Snow boarding-Nope, I HATE the cold with a passion.

Fishing-I used to go fresh-water fishing on trips with my family to Wisconsin, but we haven't done that for years and there's not really too many good fishing spots near me.

Movies- Yes, though I can tell that I have wildly different tastes in film then you do.

Women-Of course I love women, but I don't view them as "tail".

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:27 am
Producer

Barring my much farther left-ness from him and the whole fishing thing, Vexer is my brother from another mother.

He also likes... billiards!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:37 am
Assistant Director

I'm white, gay, liberal, upper middle class, mid 20s, love movies and love partying.

So mostly, yeah.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:

Football-Not really into sports at all, I find them very boring and IMO the Superbowl to be one of the most overhyped events of all time.

The funny thing is, I'm a huge football fan and even I find the pre-Super Bowl hype too nauseating. At times it feels more like a giant entertainment exhibition rather than the final, all-important championship. And as for the commercials, yeah some of them are pretty funny, but will you want to buy the product in question because of them? Seems like a giant waste of money.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:14 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing

Don't really care for watching sports. I enjoy playing Kickball and basketball with friends. But find watching spoerts boring.

Fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

In my mid 30s age-wise.

I do enjoy fishing for fun.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:

Same here, except for one issue. I can't justify abortion.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Steven wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I most certainly can, especially if it's in the case of rape or if either the baby or the mother is likely to die from giving birth. THat 20 week-abortion bill is complete and utter bullshit.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Steven wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I most certainly can, especially if it's in the case of rape or if either the baby or the mother is likely to die from giving birth. THat 20 week-abortion bill is complete and utter bullshit.

I won't try to force my opinions on anybody here, but i'll never be convinced that "terminating" a baby at 19 weeks isn't murder.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JNzSQKByNZI/U ... 0828_z.jpg

I can't be convinced that that isn't a human who deserves to live. I don't think that anybody should have a right to kill them.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

What about in the case of rape or when the baby or mother is in danger of dying? Would you still oppose abortion then? For me a fetus is not a human being as it cannot think or feel anything, so it is not "murder" in any sense of the word.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:37 am
Producer

The result of the vast majority of abortions looks something more like a tadpole or a seafood appetizer.

Of course, they aren't terribly cute, so you don't really see much of them in the propaganda.

Anyway, let me know when some actual women show up so I can take this side discussion seriously.

-

Anyway, I'm a vegetarian atheist feminist guitarist left-libertarian tea drinking beer drinking whisky drinking reading writing city worker currently planning a return to school. I also have a dog.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 am
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing

I'm game.

Upper middle class: Not close.
White: Yes.
Southern: No, I live in New England.
Protestant: No, I have no strong religious convictions.
Republican: I have never voted Republican in my life and do not intend to anytime soon.
Conservative: See above.
20-something: I am in my 30s.
College football: While I am a fan of the Dartmouth Big Green, I find the NCAA to be a disgusting, despicable organization.
Getting shithammered: Those days are over for me.
Chasing tail: Now that I am married, I do not do this anymore.
Golf: I don't play golf.
NFL: I am a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles.
Snowboarding: I have bad knees, so no.
Salt water fishing: I don't live near the ocean.
Movies: Well...yes.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm