Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:27 am

Williams, McCartney. Lennon as good as Beethoven, Bach 
Second Unit Director

Post Williams, McCartney. Lennon as good as Beethoven, Bach
I would like to put forward the following question.
Are John Williams, Paul MacCartney, John Lennon the modern equivalent of Beethoven or Bach.
Discuss

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Williams, McCartney. Lennon as good as Beethoven, Bach
Yes. Their works will endure for quite some time.

I like the classical B's more, but I believe that this is a personal preference.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 am
Producer

I'm not sure. It's hard to compare them, for obvious reasons. There's a well-founded perception that they represent the peak of their respective styles, so you're probably right in that respect. I'd also compare them in their inventiveness. Lennon/McCartney, Williams, Beethoven and Bach are/were all given to experimentation and innovation. Beethoven, for example, introduced vocalists into the symphonic form for his Ninth Symphony. Prior to that, the definition of "symphony" excluded vocal works. The definition was changed entirely because of Beethoven.

In other respects, there are some interesting contrasts. Bach, for example, was renowned as a concert organist during his life, but his compositions didn't achieve recognition until after his death, whereas the Beatles retired from live performances early on to focus on their increasingly ambitious songwriting. The Beatles were also pioneers of state-of-the-art recording technology which has since come into use with many of our prominent film composers--except for John Williams, whose compositional tools consist of a piano, pen, and paper. Williams is an expert pianist in addition to his compositional feats, but the piano hadn't even been invented yet in Bach's time.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Will the Beatles, etc be taught in school later down the road?

I had an awesome music class in college where we essentially listened to the greats and dissected them.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 am
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Will the Beatles, etc be taught in school later down the road?

I had an awesome music class in college where we essentially listened to the greats and dissected them.

What music did you listen during the class?

The Beatles could be in doubt for teaching at schools, but John Williams will be taught in schools in the future.
E.T., Superman and Schindler's List are the finest uplifting music created in the last 30 years.
I also feel that had Beethoven been live during these times, he would have written the same kind of music as Williams.

In terms of the beatles, I love their later stuff, All you need is love, Let it be, Something, are songs that people will be listening to 200 years from now.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:01 pm
Producer

I minored in music. While I can't say I recall mentions of The Beatles in my musicology courses, there was plenty of emphasis on popular music genres from earlier in the 20th century--mainly blues and jazz, with James Brown being probably the most modern artist mentioned.

In my opinion, there's a sliding timeline of legitimacy when it comes to popular music being taught in schools. The Beatles are too influential not to be recognized by academics. Just give them some time.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I minored in music. While I can't say I recall mentions of The Beatles in my musicology courses, there was plenty of emphasis on popular music genres from earlier in the 20th century--mainly blues and jazz, with James Brown being probably the most modern artist mentioned.

In my opinion, there's a sliding timeline of legitimacy when it comes to popular music being taught in schools. The Beatles are too influential not to be recognized by academics. Just give them some time.

I aggree with. I would go further and say that as soon they pass away they will be put into the same leaque as Bethoven. I think that one of the problems for the Beatles for teaching is , if they look at a particular part of their songs, especially their earlier ones, and they anylise each section of the song to see why used each particular theme or chord. The answer that it sounded cool may not suffice for an exam answer.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm