Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS 
Author Message
Post The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Long thread title, yeah, but this is worth some extensive insight. Apparently, Pope Benedict feels that condom usage in Africa increases and worsens the risk of AIDS in Africa. Just like blows to the head prove effectvie at reviving long lost memories.

WARNING: Due to the oblivious content within, I advise approaching it with a sense of humor -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhxqvVmgEbg


Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:43 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
(*nervously waiting for angry responses to thread subject)


Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
majoraphasia wrote:
(*nervously waiting for angry responses to thread subject)



I'm not angry. I watched the news report and the overwhelming feeling was one of sadness.
I have no doubt that the Pope is an honorable person who means well

However, the Aids epidemic in Africa is a disaster that is a global tragedy.

What more can you say? We're in 2009, not 1709

Very sad
Rob


Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
you'd be surprised how sophisticated Catholic philosophy and theology are.
My family is Catholic and thus i am forced to listen to Catholic teachings.
I am personally am not Catholic or religious but i was incredibly surprised how intelligent some members of the
church are especially Pope John Paul.

Whatever Benedict's argument may be i believe has an incredible amount of sophistication in it and is not just religious stupidity.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:16 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
I do not agree with the Roman Catholic church's position on the use of condoms, but it has to be noted that the pope has been quoted very selectively by most media in this particular case. In context, it is clear that the Holy See considers condoms as an encouragement for promiscuity and, consequently, not as suitable to combat HIV, whereas abstinence and faithfulness are the proper means to prevent a spreading of HIV.

This position is only logical and consequent if the premise is accepted (= condoms encourage promiscuous behaviour, promiscuity is sinful). It also makes sense ideologically, whether you agree with it or not, although I have my severe doubts, to put it mildly, whether the Vatican's stance on condoms is realistic.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:17 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Unke wrote:
In context, it is clear that the Holy See considers condoms as an encouragement for promiscuity and, consequently, not as suitable to combat HIV, whereas abstinence and faithfulness are the proper means to prevent a spreading of HIV.

This position is only logical and consequent if the premise is accepted (= condoms encourage promiscuous behaviour, promiscuity is sinful). It also makes sense ideologically, whether you agree with it or not, although I have my severe doubts, to put it mildly, whether the Vatican's stance on condoms is realistic.


thank god. some sense. this is the first time ive heard anyone really say what happened, been frustrated at news reporters. everyone's off making headlines.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
I can understand and respect the catholic church position on condoms. I think it is that they encourage promiscuity and lust and that that is a sin.

I am sad because the position ignores the reality of the situation in Africa.

Millions are infected and dying and there are several l solutions , of which the use of condoms is one.

It's a difficult position for the church because their position was built out of another situation. Smart people see these instances and evolve.

Rob


Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
It's a logical argument, but logical doesn't necessarily mean factual or realistic. I agree that the Pope probably isn't stupid, but I think he's severely misguided by his ideology in this case. If condoms and condom education can stem the spread of AIDS in Africa, then I personally find it repulsive that an authority figure such as the Pope would discourage that from happening.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:06 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Ken wrote:
It's a logical argument, but logical doesn't necessarily mean factual or realistic. I agree that the Pope probably isn't stupid, but I think he's severely misguided by his ideology in this case. If condoms and condom education can stem the spread of AIDS in Africa, then I personally find it repulsive that an authority figure such as the Pope would discourage that from happening.


agreed.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Nobody should listen to what the vatican has to say when it comes to sex. Its sexual politics are terrible and bear no relationship to real life as experienced by the part of the world not made up by old men wowing to deny their basic human urges.

Condoms reduce the spread of aids by some 90%. Yeah, it's not a perfect infallible solution, but it helps by a whole lot, and for the pope to pretend otherwise is shockingly dishonest and harmful.

EDIT: Ok, so upon further consideration it's not particularly shocking that they'd lie about this. More appalling.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
I don't believe that the Pope's stance is unrealistic, idealogical. yes. Ok maybe unrealistic aswell.

The church must preach what the church believes in. The Aid's epidemic in Africa was and is created by sexual promiscuity.

Anyway my point being. The church must preach an ideological view in order for to counter balance the other argument.
If even a few thousand people decide to take on the Pope's view it will create a chain effect and thus lessen the effects.

Well anyway, i think the unrealistic view of the church serves it's purpose in a realistc way. Not sure if i made my point clear but whatever.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:47 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
I actually sympathize with the church here

if they bow and condone the condom they lose the faithful

if they bow and condemn the condom they lose the rest

I guess that is being stuck between a rock and a hard on

Rob


Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:55 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
I wonder if the Pope thinks Jesus Christ, saviour of the sick, poor, and dying, wants his children to suffer a graceful death by HIV/AIDS rather than living long sinful lives filled with promiscuous sex that was encouraged by a condom.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:47 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Robert Holloway wrote:
I actually sympathize with the church here

if they bow and condone the condom they lose the faithful

if they bow and condemn the condom they lose the rest

I guess that is being stuck between a rock and a hard on

Rob


I don't think that's quite true. The church might lose SOME faithful, but definitely not all, and I'm willing to bet the amount of people they piss off by condemning the condom far outweighs the number who would leave the church if they condone it.

I've been raised in a Catholic family, and went to Catholic elementary and high schools (which are publicly funded in some parts of Canada for some odd reason; they're not freaky private schools), and I have never once met a Catholic who thought condoms were wrong. In fact we even studied all forms of birth control, including condoms, in sex ed at the Catholic school. Also, I'm fairly certain a large number of Catholics use some form of birth control as well (you don't see families with more than 3 or 4 kids very often anymore). So in my opinion, the Catholic church is not only out of touch with the rest of the world, they are out of touch with their own people as well.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:03 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Robert Holloway wrote:
I guess that is being stuck between a rock and a hard on
One offers no way out, and the other offers a way out with a little extra work involved.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
Heff wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I actually sympathize with the church here

if they bow and condone the condom they lose the faithful

if they bow and condemn the condom they lose the rest

I guess that is being stuck between a rock and a hard on

Rob


I don't think that's quite true. The church might lose SOME faithful, but definitely not all, and I'm willing to bet the amount of people they piss off by condemning the condom far outweighs the number who would leave the church if they condone it.

I've been raised in a Catholic family, and went to Catholic elementary and high schools (which are publicly funded in some parts of Canada for some odd reason; they're not freaky private schools), and I have never once met a Catholic who thought condoms were wrong. In fact we even studied all forms of birth control, including condoms, in sex ed at the Catholic school. Also, I'm fairly certain a large number of Catholics use some form of birth control as well (you don't see families with more than 3 or 4 kids very often anymore). So in my opinion, the Catholic church is not only out of touch with the rest of the world, they are out of touch with their own people as well.


I've been raised a Catholic as well, and I've always been given the "No Sex Till Marriage" spiel. Never really bought into it. Silly pope, sex is for not you!

I think its interesting to look at countries that preach abstinence to teens and their high teenage pregnancy rates, and then look at the countries that say "Here's a condom, have fun, don't be stupid and get an STD" and their low teenage pregnancy rates. Yet another example of where the Church should avoid health/science issues.


Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 am
Profile
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
well he's right, abstinence would solve the problem pretty quickly, but it's not going to fly, given the realistic state of Africa.


Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 am
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
moulton4 wrote:
well he's right, abstinence would solve the problem pretty quickly, but it's not going to fly, given the realistic state of Africa.


How about given the realistic state of THE WORLD.

If we were all just a little less greedy, we wouldn't produce shit like Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans, there wouldn't have been a financial meltdown and Communism would have definitely worked :roll:


Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:09 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
moulton4 wrote:
well he's right, abstinence would solve the problem pretty quickly, but it's not going to fly, given the realistic state of Africa.


And while we are at it let's start suggesting that people are not unpleasant towards each other and in a single moment stop all theft, violence and murder

Rob


Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 pm
Post Re: The Pope And His Thoughts On Condoms In Relation To AIDS
new_xieland wrote:

If we were all just a little less greedy, we wouldn't produce shit like Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans, there wouldn't have been a financial meltdown and Communism would have definitely worked :roll:


I knew it. So much for the idea of watching the _______ Movie comedies while wearing my Che Guevara socks, matching t-shirt, headband, and leg warmers.

Image

One day, Seltzer! ONE F*CKING DAY, FRIEDBERG!


Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:15 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr