Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 am

Wimbledon Insanity 
Second Unit Director

Post Wimbledon Insanity
More detailed thoughts may follow, but was anyone else riveted by the absolutely crazy day at Wimbledon today? I certainly can't recall a day (or tournament for that matter) so rife with huge upsets (and smaller ones too for that matter) and so fraught with injuries at any Grand Slam. I need to go to sleep (indeed I'll likely be sleep-deprived as it is for work because I just couldn't keep my eyes closed) but quickly:

I thought for sure Sharapova would make Larcher de Brito crack under the pressure of serving it out. Didn't happen.
I honestly thought Federer would lose after the 2nd set and especially the 3rd, but was worried that Stakhovsky might choke after he lost the match point on his serve. Didn't happen!
The bottom half of both draws are completely unrecognizable from the start of the tournament. Mind blown.
All of the injuries are of course unfortunate, but I don't know if there's really anyone to blame.
Murray was the lone steady ship in the tumultuous waters of this day.
Is more insanity on tap for tomorrow? Is Williams next to be upset? Wow. Just wow.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Wimbledon Insanity
I don't follow tennis at all, but I did hear that Nadal was knocked out on the first day. I guess this edition of the grass-surface tournament is one of upsets...

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm
Auteur

I used to play a little tennis myself, i'm familiar with Jennifer Capriati and Anna Kournikova(or whatever her last name is), but that's about it.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 pm
Director

The amount of upsets sure are crazy, but lets not kid ourselves. Serena and Djokovic will win easily now. Over and out.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
The amount of upsets sure are crazy, but lets not kid ourselves. Serena and Djokovic will win easily now. Over and out.

At this point, that's to be expected everytime. Federer can't compete like he used to. I will cheer for him until he retires and he will win some championships here and there but he isn't what he used to be. Nadal will win on clay, but Djokovic is No.1 in the world and will win most of the time. Tennis is boring in that way. It will be Djoko, Nadal, Federer, and Murray in the top 4 spots for a long time.

Womens tennis is even worse. Who can even challenge Serena at this point. No one is consistent besides her, she's a freak of nature. She dominates womens tennis harder than Lebron dominates in the NBA. She simply far outmatches anyone else playing right now.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 pm
Director

Gedmud wrote:
Womens tennis is even worse. Who can even challenge Serena at this point. No one is consistent besides her, she's a freak of nature. She dominates womens tennis harder than Lebron dominates in the NBA. She simply far outmatches anyone else playing right now.

Holy crap, never mind that. Sabine Lisicki pulls off the upset of the year not just in women's tennis, but in all of sports thus far.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm