Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 am

FORUM SOS: DVD Rippers 
Cinematographer

Post FORUM SOS: DVD Rippers
Hello forum:

I am looking to see if anyone has experience ripping DVD's to a computer and what your software of choice is. As background, I am not looking at getting into pirating DVD's that I do not own, I am planning on moving some short subjects from DVD's I already own (cartoons, Stooges, things like that) to act as pre-movie entertainment like in the old days of cinema. (Easier to click one of these off of my network than to have to swap discs on the player.)

So what I'm looking for is a good ripping solution. I've downloaded a few for evaluation and so far I like "DVD Ripper" from Aimersoft the best. It's got a nice preview pane and it's fairly quick. Not wild about some of the video degredation in the final product, but that may be unavoidable since I need the files compressed a bit so they don't bury my home server.

My solution needs to be able to bypass any commercial copy protections. DVD Ripper does both the rip and the encoding (so far I've tried .mp4 and .wmv and was surprised to find the .wmv to be better looking and over 50% less space), though I understand this could wind up being a 2 step process (1 application to rip the DVD contents and something else like "Handbrake" to encode to the final format).

So...does anyone have any suggestions. Free applications would be great, but I don't mind spending a little too. (My budget is a bit limited however...I'm not looking to drop 500 clams on some professional editing suite. "DVD Ripper" is like 25 bucks.)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: FORUM SOS: DVD Rippers
Hmmm...no advice from you guys?

Well, I ran through a few different apps; some were "freeware" and some cost money but had free trial versions. I was ready to go with "DVD Ripper", but the resolution in some of the detail on the resulting video was just too poor. Overall the video was OK, but around the edges of objects in frame it left a bit to be desired.

I finally settled on "WinX DVD Ripper Platinum" from Digiarty Software. Of the packages I tried, that one yielded the best video quality, worked fairly quickly, and had no problem with commercial DVD's (of the few I tried). Highly recommended at about $40 and they bundled in another video converter as a package deal.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm
Cinematographer

Quick update (for anybody who cares), I installed "WinX DVD Ripper" and it worked OK for most of the short subjects I was transferring from DVD. Sound and video were great. (These were Warner Brothers Cartoons averaging 7-8 minutes in length.) Problem came in when on some of my DVD's, on later chapters on the disc, the ripper would only transfer the alternative language track (Thai, I believe) and when I tried to transfer the main content (with the intent of then carving into individual chapters) I found that for long rips that the first 20-30 minutes were ok, but by 90 minutes the audio and video had progressively fallen out of sync by about 1-2 seconds. NOT good.

So I would stay away from that one if you are looking for a ripper. I have since installed Leawo DVD Ripper and have not experienced any problems thus far. Audio and video quality is still great and haven't experienced any a/v sync problems so far.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 pm
Assistant Director

Any progress here?

Back when I did such things, I used DVDShrink followed by compression through Handbrake. Both are free, easy to use, and the quality was always excellent. Optional subtitles, multiple audio tracks... great stuff.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:55 am
Second Unit Director

I thought I mentioned Handbrake...or was that for some other thread

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 am
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
Any progress here?

Back when I did such things, I used DVDShrink followed by compression through Handbrake. Both are free, easy to use, and the quality was always excellent. Optional subtitles, multiple audio tracks... great stuff.

I did finally settle on the Laewo DVD Ripper platform. I was able to transfer about 200 Warner Brothers cartoons to my media server off of (owned) DVD's last autumn without too much trouble and the audio and video are top notch. This was mainly a one-time exercise; there's not too much I need to convert off of disc to put on my server at this time and I'm not in the habit of copying borrowed or rented material.

The reason I put the Loony Toons on my media server was so that I could do Saturday morning cartoons with my kids without having to juggle discs or screw around with playing them in a certain order. I built a custom video player in Visual Basic that allows me to randomly shuffle the play order and keeps track of which cartoons we've already seen. There's an unfinished 1/2 of the application to play music videos (for parties and such), but I need to collect more media source for that so I've been dragging my feet finishing it up.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 am
Second Unit Director

My reason for ripping DVDs is to watch movies and TV episodes on my tablet. Great for airplanes, especially since you can now use them throughout the flight. Airplane mode actually means that now!

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am