Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Is James going to review 56 Up? 
Gaffer

Post Is James going to review 56 Up?
"56 Up" has been queued as an Upcoming Review for weeks and weeks. I wonder is James going to post a review? Is this is the TV show that comes out every 7 years charting peoples lives? A TV show with that name was broadcast in the UK last year and I think that series is the best television I have ever seen in my life.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:05 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Is James going to review 56 Up?
Perhaps his local theater keeps on pushing back the screening date for the film. I doubt that he would just refrain from reviewing 56 Up, seeing as The Up Series clocks in at #31 on the Berardinelli Top 100.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Gaffer

Well I read a review of 56 Up by the late and great Roger Ebert. It is indeed the same show (but in movie form) that I watched a year ago as a three part mini series on UK television. It's an incredible piece of television.. a documentary about a group of people with varied social backgrounds that re-visits them every seven years and is essentially chronicling their entire lives.

I saw it for the first time about fourteen years ago when I didn't know anything about the format and remember being stunned at the scale and ambition of what I was watching... a bright eyed child of seven being interviewed and it's black and white then next thing the video is in color and the child is now an awkward teenager then later there's an adult who is married with children and career issues and it's the same actual person in real life, no actors or make-up.

The concept is original and the film makers have stuck with it for half a century.. it is often moving, always interesting. If we ever needed a justification for television then this is it.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm
Cinematographer

darwin wrote:
Well I read a review of 56 Up by the late and great Roger Ebert. It is indeed the same show (but in movie form) that I watched a year ago as a three part mini series on UK television. It's an incredible piece of television.. a documentary about a group of people with varied social backgrounds that re-visits them every seven years and is essentially chronicling their entire lives.

I saw it for the first time about fourteen years ago when I didn't know anything about the format and remember being stunned at the scale and ambition of what I was watching... a bright eyed child of seven being interviewed and it's black and white then next thing the video is in color and the child is now an awkward teenager then later there's an adult who is married with children and career issues and it's the same actual person in real life, no actors or make-up.

The concept is original and the film makers have stuck with it for half a century.. it is often moving, always interesting. If we ever needed a justification for television then this is it.

I agree. 56 Up was one of my favorite documentaries of 2012. (I consider it a 2012 picture, seeing as it was released last year in the U.K.).

James keeps pushing it down on his list of upcoming reviews. Perhaps he will review it as a Video View when it is available on DVD.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm