Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 am

Lebron. 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Lebron.
MunichMan wrote:
Also, he is on track to be the first 50/40/90% player EVER, which is nothing to sneeze at.

That's actually not true. Check this out. A handful of other guys have done it, but that doesn't really take much away from Durant. It's a hell of an impressive accomplishment. I'm tempted to credit him for being the first black guy to do it, but Reggie Miller did it in 93-94 and he barely qualifies.

Speaking of this club, Bird did it twice in 86-87 and 87-88. Look at his numbers for those seasons:

86-87: 28.1 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 7.6 apg, 1.8 spg
87-88: 29.9 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 6.1 apg, 1.6 spg

Those 2 seasons were definitely Bird's peak (he got hurt the next year, his back gave out after that and he was never the same). Don't his numbers match up pretty well with the guy this thread is named after? People always love to compare Lebron to Magic, but he's a lot more like Bird (minus the shooting touch) than Magic, to me. It seems like a crazy comparison because Bird is known as the quintessential unathletic white guy (which isn't as true as people would have you believe) and Lebron is considered the insane, freak athlete (which is absolutely as true as people would have you believe), but both guys really can do everything on the court incredibly well. Magic was never the kind of scorer Lebron is, but Bird definitely was. Bird and Lebron are both very gifted as passers, but neither is on Magic's level there, either. None of these guys are exactly the same, but I really do think Bird is a better point of comparison for Bron than Magic is.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Lebron.
Shade2 wrote:
And here's my question:

Has there ever been a larger gap between the best player in the game and the next best player as there is right now?

I submit that there has not.

When George Mikan was at his peak, the gap between him and whoever was the 2nd-best player was probably wider. But it's hard to say--I doubt any of us ever saw Mikan play (he retired 7 years before I was even born) and it was a radically different game back them. Heck, off the top of my head, I can't even name anybody who was active during the same years as Mikan. Well, Ok, Bud Grant, but he only played pro basketball for a couple of years and then moved on to football--his pro basketball career is basically trivia.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:32 am