Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Favorite video games 
Auteur

Post Favorite video games
So what are your favorite video games of all time?

My all time favorites would have to be GTAV, it more then lived up to my expectations.

I also loved the Mass Effect series.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Favorite video games
Another World. It took what I expected out of a normal platformer and completely turned it around. The cinematic, rotoscoped presentation still holds up today and there’s something really exciting about the violent and at times sadistic way the game throws obstacles at you. It's stuck with me for decades now.

Shadow of the Colossus. It's such a beautiful game. I love the rising sense of dread as you kill each colossus, and the way the game practically begs you to stop your quest. I don’t know that we’ll ever get another game quite like it; something so big and haunting and empty. The independent scene has fostered a lot of creativity, but another big budget game that’s this risky seems unlikely. Especially considering that The Last Guardian looks like it’s probably not coming out. It reminds me that I should really play Ico at this point too.

Silent Hill 2. Captures dread in a way that even Shadow of the Colossus couldn’t match. It’s a horror game that cares more about making you feel uneasy that providing shocking moments. It throws you into a dark, disgusting world, and strings you along as you tread deeper into your own psyche. I love that every character you run into is trapped in their own personal limbo, unable to connect with you in any meaningful way. They’re too busy fighting their own personal demons.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm
Director

Going a bit old school to start. Obviously the classics: Pac-Man, Moon Patrol, Gauntlet, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Super Mario Bros. 3, Doki Doki Panic, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Tecmo Super Bowl, Kid Icarus, Final Fight, Doom, Legend of Zelda, Super Metroid, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Galaga, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Contra III, Mega Man 2, Smash TV, SimCity, Star Fox, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2, Shinobi III...

Since the turn of the century: GTA: San Andreas, Half-Life 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3, L.A. Noire, Bully, Minecraft, Madden NFL, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Rock Band 3, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Chrono Trigger. What I wrote on my abandoned blog 5 years ago still holds true.

http://patrickstergos.blogspot.com/2009/05/chrono-trigger-reviewed.html

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:45 pm
Assistant Director

Space Quest III, the first video game I ever had. Really, the first four entries in the series were a lot of fun.

I also have fond memories of Dragon's Lair (arcade) and the Super Mario Bros. 2 parties that were popular for a few weeks back in the late 1980s. I haven't done much gaming since but fully believe these games haven't been bested. Or maybe they have. I'll let you figure it out.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:35 pm
Auteur

One of my favorite old-school games would be Sonic CD.

Also loved Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Final Fantasy VII because obvious reasons and I've also invested more time into it than any other game. Also Resident Evil 4 because it's fucking awesome. And Mario Kart.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 pm
Producer

Elite

Simple yet vast. The graphics are somewhat basic by today's standards, but Elite is one of many ideas I wish I had (if I'd been able to programme games in the early 80s)

Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion

Both drag-and-click strategy games. Both fiendishly addictive.

The Legend of Zelda (Link's Awakening)

My favourite Zelda game is the portable 8 bit version which I played solidly for months and months when I got it. A pound-for-pound great achievement in gaming

Grand Theft Auto, San Andreas)

Forget the barbaric elements that drive the GOP insane, this is colossal achievement in sandbox gaming. I used to spend hours just driving around the countryside.

Other notable mentions -

Super Mario Bros 3
ISS Soccer
Super Mario Kart

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am
Assistant Director

Oh man, I've been waiting for this thread for ages.

Final Fantasy VII-- First played this when I was in middle school, and it's part of what hooked me not only into the epic storytelling games can provide, but also the "mind fuck" appeal. The Materia system is, hands down, my favorite magic system of all the games because of all the clever customization, and the game contains one of the very, very few scenes (Aerith's death) that moved me to tears.

Bioshock Infinite-- The third game in the series is also its best. Sure, it lacks the dual story choices of the first and second, but this one's tale so thoroughly enveloped me that it didn't much matter. The mixing of guns and plasma powers for combat has been perfected on this go-around. And I've said this before and I'll say it again; this is the only game I've played where once I beat it, I immediately wanted to start over to see how it all fits together.

The Metal Gear Solid series-- Should be a no-brainer given my profile pic. What more do I need to say that hasn't already been said? :D

I also enjoy the hell out of many sports games including Madden, NHL, and especially MLB The Show.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am
Cinematographer

Half Life (my goodness I'm old)

Haven't done any gaming in quite a while. Hoping something good that utilizes Kinect comes out that I'll want to play (got the boy an Xbox One for Christmas).

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
One of my favorite old-school games would be Sonic CD.

Also loved Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Oh man, the old-school Sonic games are brilliant. I particularly like the piggyback combination of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Looooong game. I also love the 8-bit Mario games. If you had Super Mario All-Stars, you were all set.

Also a big fan of the first Metal Gear solid. I think videogames and cinematic style have an uneasy relationship at best, but they struck the perfect balance with this one.

But my pick for Greatest of All Time has to be the Street Fighter II series. It's the Speed Chess of videogames.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 pm
Producer

Hell yeah! How did I forget that.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 pm
Cinematographer

That no one here has yet mentioned The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is disappointing to me. Let us also not forget Fallout 3. Bethesda just kicks ass right now as a game developer, you know- they are working on Fallout 4 as we speak.

Yes, I also have to give kudos to the Half-Life series- Valve had redefined the entire genre of shooter games with those two entries.

Blizzard must also get credit: Diablo II and Warcraft 3 are still games I play on occasion. I was also very deeply into World of Warcraft before I realized that I had a life to live outside of that game.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm
Auteur

I loved Half-Life 2, but honestly the Elder Scrolls series has never really done it for me.

I prefered Far Cry 3 over Skyrim.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm
Cinematographer

The quality comes and goes between releases, and Ubisoft should be flogged roundly for their "Conflux" bugs, but I have been a 20 year devotee of the "Heroes of Might and Magic" series. Turn-based gameplay can be boring for some, but I enjoy it.

I also liked a number of the first generation FPS games ("Doom", "Redneck Rampage", "Wolfenstein", "Shadow Warrior"), but I probably enjoyed "Jedi Knight" and some of its sequels the most out of any of them. Otherwise I haven't much time for gaming. I'll go a couple of evenings per week for a few weeks on "Heroes" and then won't touch it or anything else for months.

Last edited by Johnny Larue on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:54 pm
Second Unit Director

SNES RPGs were the shit. Chrono Trigger (great review, Patrick!), Final Fantasy II and III (as they were released in the U.S.), The Secret of Mana, The Secret of Evermore, even The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which had RPG elements, are all among my all-time favorites. More recently I've loved the God of War and Uncharted series.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 am
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
The quality comes and goes between releases, and Ubisoft should be flogged roundly for their "Conflux" bugs, but I have been a 20 year devotee of the "Heroes of Might and Magic" series. Turn-based gameplay can be boring for some, but I enjoy it.

I also liked a number of the first generation FPS games ("Doom", "Redneck Rampage", "Wolfenstein", "Shadow Warrior"), but I probably enjoyed "Jedi Knight" and some of its sequels the most out of any of them. Otherwise I haven't much time for gaming. I'll go a couple of evenings per week for a few weeks on "Heroes" and then won't touch it or anything else for months.

Ya see, I could never grow to love those kind of first person shooters. Doom is the most infuriating and dull game I ever played.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Ya see, I could never grow to love those kind of first person shooters. Doom is the most infuriating and dull game I ever played.

Yeah same here, I just can't get into pre-2001 FPS games.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 am
Producer

Gwaihir wrote:
SNES RPGs were the shit. Chrono Trigger (great review, Patrick!), Final Fantasy II and III (as they were released in the U.S.), The Secret of Mana, The Secret of Evermore, even The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which had RPG elements, are all among my all-time favorites. More recently I've loved the God of War and Uncharted series.

SNES itself was "the shit".

During the 8-bit and 16-bit era there was actually, unbelievably a debate on what was the best between Nintendo and Sega. I knew full well that Nintendo was better at the time, but 20+ years later it seems incomprehensible that such a debate could exist.

There were one or two arcade games that Sega converted a little slicker than the SNES, and for some reason Sega's version of FIFA Soccer was a little more coherent (although by no means great), but by every other measurement the SNES kicked ass. I remember being with a Sega-owning mate in a game exchange store, and the guy who owned it settling our debate right there. "Lads, I'd rather have an 8-bit Nintendo than a 16-bit Sega". Happy days!

SNES was the Roy Jones Jr of consoles. Tired today, but ruled in the 90s.

Last edited by NotHughGrant on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Yeah same here, I just can't get into pre-2001 FPS games.

I spend most of my time lost and running into walls.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 am