Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

Books or E-Books? 
Cinematographer

Post Books or E-Books?
I am an incredibly wishy-washy individual incapable of reaching a decision concerning this pressing, First-World matter. Therefore, I will leave it up to you. Which is better: the book or the e-book?

Before you answer, let my explain my rationale for asking. You see, I am one of those individuals who likes to have one end-all, be-all approach to doing certain things. I prefer celluloid over digital when it comes to movies, and so I feel that this is somewhat similar. A family member purchased a Kindle Fire for me about a year ago, and I feel guilty for not having used it as much. The same also applies to regular books. I have failed to read as much as I would have liked to over the course of the last few months, as a result.

I don't have that many books on my Kindle, but I prefer reading on only one platform only. For example, I have started reading The Hobbit on my Kindle, and I have already purchased the LotR trilogy on it, but I still feel that a book is the best way to do things, thereby rendering my e-book reader useless. The Kindle is helpful because of its percentage tracker, yet I am not one of those "constantly-on-the-go" people. I prefer watching movies either home or in a theater, and just as I own a ton of Blu-rays, I also wish to own every single one of my books. Furthermore, some of the Kindle book covers are better than others, another fault that I take with it. That being said, I'm thinking about going back to books, as opposed to e-books, but I'm just not sure. Longer books, or at least books with smaller typeface, seem easier to read on the Kindle, what with its adjustable font size, but I refuse to simply stop reading on one platform and continue reading on another. I guess that I'm also asking for a one-volume Lord of the Rings book that you don't have to squint to read. First-World problems indeed.

What does everyone else think? Are books the celluloid of literature, or are digital e-books the better choice?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Books or E-Books?
Sean wrote:
I am an incredibly wishy-washy individual incapable of reaching a decision concerning this pressing, First-World matter. Therefore, I will leave it up to you. Which is better: the book or the e-book?

Before you answer, let my explain my rationale for asking. You see, I am one of those individuals who likes to have one end-all, be-all approach to doing certain things. I prefer celluloid over digital when it comes to movies, and so I feel that this is somewhat similar. A family member purchased a Kindle Fire for me about a year ago, and I feel guilty for not having used it as much. The same also applies to regular books. I have failed to read as much as I would have liked to over the course of the last few months, as a result.

I don't have that many books on my Kindle, but I prefer reading on only one platform only. For example, I have started reading The Hobbit on my Kindle, and I have already purchased the LotR trilogy on it, but I still feel that a book is the best way to do things, thereby rendering my e-book reader useless. The Kindle is helpful because of its percentage tracker, yet I am not one of those "constantly-on-the-go" people. I prefer watching movies either home or in a theater, and just as I own a ton of Blu-rays, I also wish to own every single one of my books. Furthermore, some of the Kindle book covers are better than others, another fault that I take with it. That being said, I'm thinking about going back to books, as opposed to e-books, but I'm just not sure. Longer books, or at least books with smaller typeface, seem easier to read on the Kindle, what with its adjustable font size, but I refuse to simply stop reading on one platform and continue reading on another. I guess that I'm also asking for a one-volume Lord of the Rings book that you don't have to squint to read. First-World problems indeed.

What does everyone else think? Are books the celluloid of literature, or are digital e-books the better choice?

I pretty much use only a Kindle now myself, on my iPhone. The main advantage of using the e-book format is pretty simple: the ability to carry an entire library of books on one handy device over having to carry physical book tomes on you. Sure, the Kindle does have the disadvantage of generally showing smaller pages with less words, as I find with the version I've got on my phone, but the advantages outweigh the negatives overall IMO. One other advantage: the ability to download a book almost instantly once it become available for sale rather than having to travel to a bookstore to pick up a copy or waiting for it to be shipped to you.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:21 pm