Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Talk about whatever, version 1.0. 
Post Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
I thought it would be nice if we had a thread for general chat that doesn't deserve a specific topic of its own. Mods, if this isn't cool, feel free to delete it and/or spank me for being a naughty boy.

Anyway, this evening's plans include the remains of a bottle of wine and re-re-remixing the audio from a live show my band played a couple years ago. It's one of the only live recordings I have of us. We never really intended to release this show as an official album, but I've been using it to teach myself to mix live audio. I revisit it periodically to mix it all over again, just to apply whatever new stuff I've learned about mixing in the intervening time. If I ever come up with a particularly good version, it might see the light of day as an online-only release.

I also just ate a soy chicken patty sandwich, which was pretty good. I think chicken is easy to mimic because it doesn't really have an intrinsic taste of its own.

What's everyone else up to lately?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 am
Post Re: Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
I do nothing but work from late May to mid-August. I love it. This week I'm preparing cars to be destroyed, training people how to throw knives and confiscating weed. I don't love that last one. Anyway, I'm very tired. Ken, your dinner sounds mad delicious.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:16 am
It was mad delicious. I don't really miss meat, but I do miss generally meatlike fried foods, and soy chicken patties do a decent job of filling the breach.

I had a craving for chips and salsa, but, being the good citizen that I am, I elected not to drive while under the influence. Popcorn will have to do.

Now watching: Judgment At Nuremberg.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 am
Producer

Ken, where in Michigan are you from?

I only ask because I have family out in Grand Rapids. My Great Aunt was a GI Bride in WWII and took it from there.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 am
I live in the Lansing area. I was born here, and haven't lived far from here for most of my life. I have some buddies up in Grand Rapids, but I otherwise don't find my way up there too often.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 am
I would spank you Ken...but you would probably enjoy it. ;)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 am
Producer

Here is my home town for anyone who might be interested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn

If you read the page you will notice how much the following words are used -

Cotton
Decline
Mill
Far-right

Enjoy!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
I live in the Lansing area. I was born here, and haven't lived far from here for most of my life. I have some buddies up in Grand Rapids, but I otherwise don't find my way up there too often.

My wife's from Okemos cause her dad teachers physics at MSU

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am
I went to MSU, but was unfortunately too much of a math dunce to get very far in the sciences.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 am
This thread seems eerily similar to the "My Life" thread that Mr. Holloway started some time ago. At least it did after reading the first post.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
I went to MSU, but was unfortunately too much of a math dunce to get very far in the sciences.

I went to U of M so I should, you know, hate you by virtue of arbitrary geography and football rivalries. I took as few science classes as I could though

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm
johnny larue wrote:
This thread seems eerily similar to the "My Life" thread that Mr. Holloway started some time ago. At least it did after reading the first post.

In the immortal words of Orson Welles, when he was told of the glaring plot hole in Citizen Kane: "You must never speak of this again."

JamesKunz wrote:
I went to U of M so I should, you know, hate you by virtue of arbitrary geography and football rivalries. I took as few science classes as I could though

My reaction to the MSU/UoM rivalry is and always has been "meh". You guys have a cooler campus and a better arcade. Our women are better-looking. Different strokes.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:

My reaction to the MSU/UoM rivalry is and always has been "meh". You guys have a cooler campus and a better arcade. Our women are better-looking. Different strokes.

Totally. I think such rivalries are so...arbitrary. What the fuck do I care if someone goes to Michigan State or Ohio State?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 pm
Over the weekend, coming home from visiting my nephews, there was so little traffic on the Autobahn that I could set my cruise control to 190 and just relax.

I love it when that happens.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Over the weekend, coming home from visiting my nephews, there was so little traffic on the Autobahn that I could set my cruise control to 190 and just relax.

I love it when that happens.

So.....how was time travel for you?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:

That surprises me since your posts are always so logically presented with incredible attention and detail. I would have thought you to be a math wizard. Michigan is way too cold for this southern dude, but whenever I go there for work I alway enjoy the people and I strongly suspect I would enjoy the natural aspects of the state as well.

Me - I just hang out with the family enjoying the kids for the most part. My hobbies have been sidetracked by duty to the family these days. As the kids inch closer to their teen years I'm looking forward to greater independance, more movies, and hopefully a fishing kayak somewhere down the road. Made a big chicken pot for supper tonight.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 pm
Jesus H. Looks like I'm getting dumped.

Time to round up a "getting dumped" DVD survival kit. Taxi Driver, Pickpocket, Eternal Sunshine, Last Tango In Paris... pretty much anything about getting your balls smashed by life.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:15 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:

Time to round up a "getting dumped" DVD survival kit. Taxi Driver, Pickpocket, Eternal Sunshine, Last Tango In Paris... pretty much anything about getting your balls smashed by life.

I would throw in Dirty Harry. You need something manly and awesome to go in there.

Just moved into a house with 6 other guys. It's not as bad as it sounds. The only problems so far arise from a couple of them being idiots. We'll see how that goes.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 am
Cinematographer

Sorry to hear that Ken. Throw in some silly comedy if your into that sort of thing. I always feel less stressed after spending time with something like the Naked Gun or some Monty Python and Mel Brooks stuff. I even like dipping back into Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin to take my mind off things for awhile. Easy Street - part of a Chaplin collection on Netflix instant really tickled me. Hope things swing positive for you.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 am
Ken wrote:

So it's starting to look like this is a false alarm, but she gave me a bit of a scare. If she does it again, I'm putting her down a well and forcing her to listen to Meshuggah.

---

"Pop music too loud and all sounds the same", says science.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next