Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:11 am

Do any Americans here care about soccer? 
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Bondurant wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.
Rob

The "stop start nature" as you put it can get annoying at least with baseball it is natural. In our brand of football they do it too much to fit in commercials. If it were up to me the game would go to commercial during timeouts, the end of each quarter and half-time. That's it.

I disagree with the "endless ads" criticism though. I've often heard that foreigners don't like the ads. I find this suspicious since the pitches in other countries are surrounded by a wall of ads and every player is a walking advetisement for a sponsor.

i think robert was complaining about ads not as in its all too commercial, but in a way that the game is interrupted by full advertisements. as in the game is stopped from airing and an ad is aired. so he was complaining that it stops people from watching the game. if a player's got sponsors all over him, the game is still there.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 am
aameen wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.
Rob

The "stop start nature" as you put it can get annoying at least with baseball it is natural. In our brand of football they do it too much to fit in commercials. If it were up to me the game would go to commercial during timeouts, the end of each quarter and half-time. That's it.

I disagree with the "endless ads" criticism though. I've often heard that foreigners don't like the ads. I find this suspicious since the pitches in other countries are surrounded by a wall of ads and every player is a walking advetisement for a sponsor.

i think robert was complaining about ads not as in its all too commercial, but in a way that the game is interrupted by full advertisements. as in the game is stopped from airing and an ad is aired. so he was complaining that it stops people from watching the game. if a player's got sponsors all over him, the game is still there.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. My 12 year old loves basketball. I find it unbearable, yet I love watching or photographing the sport. In real life with kids and in urban environments there is a flow to the sport. However, on TV, the endless interruption to the game break the momentum, my involvement and the flow. When the final 2 minutes takes 15, it's just too much.

I know this s true because when i ask my son to turn off the TV he always says that there's 2 minutes left and this always means he's up for another 15 :-)

Rob

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:20 pm
Soccer is interesting because you need skill, so are baseball and basketball. I think American football is pointless and boring, Cricket is a great game to watch in its shorter forms. I'm not a purist, but there have been some five-day games that have possibly been the best games of any sport I have ever watched.

I think Becks is a good player, he's not a great scorer but he has set up some of the greatest goals ever scored. No play of his with LA has come even close to being his best. I think Americans have a right to be disappointed. They paid him a lot of money, but all he will be remembered there for is his modelling for undies. I should think that Posh is more popular in the US than Becks is.

Talking about soccer on a movie website, does anyone remember Escape to Victory. That was a good movie, and so is Bend it like Becham which I loved.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:17 pm
I remember reading an article several years back about how Americans had some suggestions to 'modify' the game to make it more popular in America. Amongst them were making each goal worth 10 points instead of 1, and dividing the game into 4 quarters instead of 2 halves (more time for ads). The article was most likely facetious, but I wonder... ;)

And yes Pedro, badminton rocks. It's like lightning-fast tennis. Too bad it's only popular in very select parts of the world.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 am
laylowmoe wrote:
I remember reading an article several years back about how Americans had some suggestions to 'modify' the game to make it more popular in America. Amongst them were making each goal worth 10 points instead of 1, and dividing the game into 4 quarters instead of 2 halves (more time for ads). The article was most likely facetious, but I wonder... ;)

I think the first attempt to estabish professional soccer - the North American Soccer League - changed the rules in order to find more acceptance with American spectators. I think that there was some sort of offside line, the clock was ticking backwards (counting down from 90 minutes to zero) and any game which ended in a draw was decided by penalties conducted in the Ice Hockey Style.

I've read about a documentary made about either the NASL in general or the New York Cosmos (featuring Pele, Beckenbauer, Neeskens and Carlos Alberto) in particular. Did anybody see it?

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 am
Unke wrote:
laylowmoe wrote:

I think the first attempt to estabish professional soccer - the North American Soccer League - changed the rules in order to find more acceptance with American spectators. I think that there was some sort of offside line, the clock was ticking backwards (counting down from 90 minutes to zero) and any game which ended in a draw was decided by penalties conducted in the Ice Hockey Style.

I've read about a documentary made about either the NASL in general or the New York Cosmos (featuring Pele, Beckenbauer, Neeskens and Carlos Alberto) in particular. Did anybody see it?

Yeah...it's a decent flick about the Cosmos. I believe they also touched upon the overexpansion that killed the league.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm
100% Derby County fan here. I love watching and playing footy, but will concede it's a very British/European thing to follow, so it can be offputting for people who aren't up to speed with it.

Having said that I took my friend from New York to a match between Derby and Forest (local rivals) and he loved it, so it's not totally exclusive :)

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm
baz1701 wrote:
100% Derby County fan here. I love watching and playing footy, but will concede it's a very British/European thing to follow, so it can be offputting for people who aren't up to speed with it.

Having said that I took my friend from New York to a match between Derby and Forest (local rivals) and he loved it, so it's not totally exclusive :)

Hi baz,
have you seen "The Damned United" about Brian Clough's stint as manager of Leeds Utd. already? If so, is it any good (and worth watching without in-depth knowledge of either Clough or "Dirty Leeds")?
I must warn you regarding the statememt that (soccer) football is a very British/European thing - millions of South Americans and Africans may want to humiliate you with stepovers and nutmegs.
Cheers
Unke

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 am
baz1701 wrote:

I own this shirt.

Also...what did you think of Benny Feilhaber during his brief stint with Derby? He was a rising star on the USMNT. Then he faded faster than he rose. Now he's in Denmark trying to rebuild his career.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm
i know this thread has been dead for a week or 2, but this article is forcing me to type. How Soccer Is Ruining America

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680101041299201.html

im resisting the urge to send him an email arguing everything he's written or dismiss this as an ignorant drivel of a pathetic man who doesnt know what he's talking about. and believe me he doesn't. but i feel like i wanna know if this is the popular opinion in the US. thus this post.

PS -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the writer of the article seems to be under the impression soccer is a girl's game.
im thinking they should let Rooney smell his socks. :lol:

PPS - anyway, as a sidenote, the spoiler's reply : http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... ing-soccer

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:02 pm
http://avoidingthedrop.wordpress.com/20 ... en-h-webb/

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:18 pm
Bored to tears by it. The field is FAR too big, the game moves FAR too slow. I cannot fathom the insanity soccer matches cause.

This is the worst time of year for sports. Hockey and Basketball. God help us :)

And college basketball, to make matters even worse. The scourge of sports.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:15 pm
I'm Peruvian and soccer... I mean, FOOTBALL, is a very big thing here in Peru... despite the fact that our national team is one of the worst in the history of the sport. definitely the most popular sport here, although I can't say I'm a fan.

I mean... our team is one of the worst even in videogames. =/

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:34 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Bored to tears by it. The field is FAR too big, the game moves FAR too slow. I cannot fathom the insanity soccer matches cause.

This is the worst time of year for sports. Hockey and Basketball. God help us :)

And college basketball, to make matters even worse. The scourge of sports.

The insanity is caused by things that go far beyond the game itself. Supporters culture is very tribal and can become political and/or nationalistic in nature. Also in some countries, like Brazil, the sad reality is that the game and the local or national side is all many people have to be happy about.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:18 am