Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Do any Americans here care about soccer? 
Author Message
Post Do any Americans here care about soccer?
After David Beckham gave up his soccer "project" to come back to Europe, do any of you Americans watch the game or pay any interest in it?

I like Beckham as a footballer and a person. But I don't want to see him at film premiers shaking hands with Zac Efron.

Probably most pointless post on here but I am really that bored.


Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Not in the slightest but if it makes you feel better, I don't care about sports at all.


Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:53 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
I love playing soccer, I love watching it.
I have a hard time knowing what is worth paying attention to in general though, with a lack of media coverage here.
I watched the Galaxy a couple summers ago when they got Beckham, and I watch every World Cup.

I guess I might watch the Sounders next year (my new local MLS team).


Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:02 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Yes.

For the past 3 years I was a Chicago Fire season ticket holder. Rough times have landed me in PA. Needless to say I no longer have season tickets but hope to make a few roadtrips this year. Section 8 should have a good number of people when we face off in Seattle against the current incarnation of the Sounders. I also support the USMNT as well as Ajax and Rangers.

As for Beckham...I think he's a fraud. He only came for the money. He does not care about the American fan or growing the sport here. Other international stars came and made a bigger impact on the pitch. All he brought was a media circus. I hope he enjoys his stay with Milan. Too bad they can't buy themselves a championship this year.


Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:10 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Love playing soccer. Will never, ever watch a single minute of it on television. TOO boring man. As for Beckham, what kind of numbers does he put up anyway? I've never heard anyone touting his athletic prowess as a standout in the sport...I've heard more about his GQ looks. And his lack of facial affect highbrow blueblood wanna-be dog-faced twat of a wife...she can take her quite average looking skinny arse to the moon for all I care... :roll:


Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:35 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Hardcore Arsenal Gunners fan. As for MLS I guess I'm a DC United fan, Beckham needed to go back to europe listening to American soccer commentators when he arrived and spraying their pants was really sad because they said he is the BEST soccer player in the world when that would have been true 7 years ago. American soccer commentators are idiots


Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:08 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Moovy1 wrote:
I've never heard anyone touting his athletic prowess as a standout in the sport...


no ones got the long all he does. or at least, he had. i haven't watched a game of his in more than 2-3 years. but during his united days, his vision and the balls he played - to say pin point accurate would be an insult.

but then again, he is a walking talking shaving foam commercial, with a robot wife. so what can you say? :)


Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Bondurant wrote:
Yes.

For the past 3 years I was a Chicago Fire season ticket holder. Rough times have landed me in PA. Needless to say I no longer have season tickets but hope to make a few roadtrips this year. Section 8 should have a good number of people when we face off in Seattle against the current incarnation of the Sounders. I also support the USMNT as well as Ajax and Rangers.

As for Beckham...I think he's a fraud. He only came for the money. He does not care about the American fan or growing the sport here. Other international stars came and made a bigger impact on the pitch. All he brought was a media circus. I hope he enjoys his stay with Milan. Too bad they can't buy themselves a championship this year.



Beckham's arrival at LAG was nothing more than a business venture to raise the profile of US soccer. The galaxy did not believe he was the world's greatest player. I am not sure that he's ever owned that accolade. He was certainly worthy of being in a world X1 at his peak, but he was never a the absolute best.

What he does have is an amazing media savvy, a hot body and a hot wife. It all comes together in a great package. He's a celebrity package. The cool thing is that he's a genuinely good guy.

Rob


Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:44 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Call me an ignorant American, but I seriously cannot watch a scooer game without getting impatient/bored. It's not one of my favorite sports to watch, although I did play it, and I have proven to be a solid defender ;)


Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 pm
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Quote:
Call me an ignorant American, but I seriously cannot watch a scooer game without getting impatient/bored. It's not one of my favorite sports to watch, although I did play it, and I have proven to be a solid defender ;)


Many of our pals across the drink would likely think the same of baseball. Actually, many Americans think the same of baseball. But baseball I can watch....soccer...not so much.


Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:37 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
I really don't think there is a right or wrong here. I am not one of these people who declare the a sport is boring because I don't understand the intricacies. I have been heavily involved in all three major sports in the US.

However, i have lived I the Uk for 30 years and the US for 13 (yeah, I did Belgium 8, France,1, and Switzerland 1 in between)

My 2 kids love US sports but one of them won't watch it because he thinks it's boring. However he loves to play basketball and basketball.

The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.

Two of the three US sports are a series of moments. one is more free flowing but a single score is not critical. Soccer is different.

There's no way to convince a Brit that a US sport is better than soccer, in fact that's true of every country outside the US (I think). However, kids increasingly love soccer and it's slowly gaining a foot hold within the US. I do believe that within 25-30 years the US will be in a world cup final and that will help it truly take off.

There's a reason it's called the beautiful game!

Rob


Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:04 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
I don't care about soccer. I didn't really care about sports until recently, when I discovered that I liked playing baseball and watching football.

Badminton's the best, though. XD


Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:14 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Robert Holloway wrote:
I really don't think there is a right or wrong here. I am not one of these people who declare the a sport is boring because I don't understand the intricacies. I have been heavily involved in all three major sports in the US.

However, i have lived I the Uk for 30 years and the US for 13 (yeah, I did Belgium 8, France,1, and Switzerland 1 in between)

My 2 kids love US sports but one of them won't watch it because he thinks it's boring. However he loves to play basketball and basketball.

The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.

Two of the three US sports are a series of moments. one is more free flowing but a single score is not critical. Soccer is different.

There's no way to convince a Brit that a US sport is better than soccer, in fact that's true of every country outside the US (I think). However, kids increasingly love soccer and it's slowly gaining a foot hold within the US. I do believe that within 25-30 years the US will be in a world cup final and that will help it truly take off.

There's a reason it's called the beautiful game!

Rob


I grew up in Cincinnati, OH, and all through my elementary education, almost all that we ever played on our recess was soccer. Though I never played organized soccer, I was quite good at it and try to get as many people together as possible to play whenever possible to this day. And for physical conditioning....it's simply the best for any kid of any skill level. Football is my favorite sport to watch, though....


Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Robert Holloway wrote:
I really don't think there is a right or wrong here. I am not one of these people who declare the a sport is boring because I don't understand the intricacies. I have been heavily involved in all three major sports in the US.

Rob



Hey, I didn't say it was boring, but I personally am bored by it. No insults from I!


Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:11 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I really don't think there is a right or wrong here. I am not one of these people who declare the a sport is boring because I don't understand the intricacies. I have been heavily involved in all three major sports in the US.

Rob



Hey, I didn't say it was boring, but I personally am bored by it. No insults from I!


Hi Evanflow8112 -

I always enjoy your posts - this made me smile don't really know why :-)

Thanks
Rob


Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Robert Holloway wrote:
The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.

Two of the three US sports are a series of moments. one is more free flowing but a single score is not critical. Soccer is different.

I absolutely agree--and that is why I love hockey.
It is a little faster-paced than soccer, a little more action from second to second, but it is also very free-flowing and non-stop (line changes on the fly definitely help that).


Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:22 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
ok, here's what i wanna ask strictly the US citizens? did the whole beckham thing actually do anything?
i mean were you more interested in soccer after he came? did you start watching it on the tv, instead of just surfing? did your kids want to play the game and go to see the local team all of a sudden? did you buy a season ticket? did you get a tattoo of your team badge on your back.

so, in short, was his trip of any success? was making appearances on snoop dog reality shows worth it? cuz i think it was, but sitting halfway across the world and the only source of any american soccer being http://www.dirtytackle.net/, it leaves a certain uncertainty.

PS - rob, excellent analysis. brilliant. you cannot imagine what a torture baseball and cricket are. although ive watched a lot of cricket. at least, if one batsmen is playing good, he gets to play some more.


Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:36 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
aameen wrote:
ok, here's what i wanna ask strictly the US citizens? did the whole beckham thing actually do anything?
i mean were you more interested in soccer after he came? did you start watching it on the tv, instead of just surfing? did your kids want to play the game and go to see the local team all of a sudden? did you buy a season ticket? did you get a tattoo of your team badge on your back.

so, in short, was his trip of any success? was making appearances on snoop dog reality shows worth it? cuz i think it was, but sitting halfway across the world and the only source of any american soccer being http://www.dirtytackle.net/, it leaves a certain uncertainty.

PS - rob, excellent analysis. brilliant. you cannot imagine what a torture baseball and cricket are. although ive watched a lot of cricket. at least, if one batsmen is playing good, he gets to play some more.

I didn't start going to games (didn't live near an MLS team), but I did start watching the Galaxy on TV all the time. I thought that even though he may not be the best player in the world, he looked like the best player on the field most of the time in the MLS, and was very fun to watch.


Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
Robert Holloway wrote:
The fundamental issue I have with the big three US sports is the stop start nature and the endless ads. What I love about soccer/football is the free flowing non stop aspect of the sport and the fact that it is very unpredictable within the next few seconds. Unlike most US sports a single moment can and most likely will determine the outcome. This develops a tension that I do not see within US sports until the last few moments.
Rob


The "stop start nature" as you put it can get annoying at least with baseball it is natural. In our brand of football they do it too much to fit in commercials. If it were up to me the game would go to commercial during timeouts, the end of each quarter and half-time. That's it.

I disagree with the "endless ads" criticism though. I've often heard that foreigners don't like the ads. I find this suspicious since the pitches in other countries are surrounded by a wall of ads and every player is a walking advetisement for a sponsor.


Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:16 am
Post Re: Do any Americans here care about soccer?
I still struggle to figure out what "red card" is supposed to mean, but I can explain in detail what a first down is :p


Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr