Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 am

Copyright Help! 
Post Copyright Help!
hey guys,

i feel comfortable enough to ask for some help! i plan on getting a copyright for "filmgazing.com"--my website. I'm a college student, so money is everything. Does anyone here have (i know James does) experience in obtaining a copyright? There are various ways, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks guys!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:10 pm
Post Re: Copyright Help!
moulton4 wrote:
hey guys,

i feel comfortable enough to ask for some help! i plan on getting a copyright for "filmgazing.com"--my website. I'm a college student, so money is everything. Does anyone here have (i know James does) experience in obtaining a copyright? There are various ways, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks guys!

The only cheap copyright I know of is to mail your work to yourself and never open it...and by cheap I mean free. How you do that with a website I don't know.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 pm
Site Admin

moulton4 wrote:
hey guys,

Thanks guys!

If you're talking about the actual name "filmgazing.com," you're in trademark territory, not copyright territory. You can't copyright a title or a website name but you can trademark it. There are two kinds of trademarks: simple trademarks and registered trademarks. The former you obtain merely by being the first to use the trademarked name and putting the (TM) next to it. ReelViews is trademarked in that way. For additional legal protection, you can obtain a registered trademark, (R). To do that, I'd suggest getting some legal help. It's not a complicated process but it does cost money and involves paperwork. For most uses, a simple (TM) is fine.

Any writing you put on your website falls into the copyright category. Again, there are two kinds of copyrights: standard and regular. Copyrights work a little different than trademarks. Any time you write something, it is automatically copyrighted, even if you don't indicate so. For a little added protection and clarification, it's a good idea to have a "(c) 2009 Your Name" on every page, but it's not mandatory. Registering copyrights is almost never done any more except with published books (and publishers typically take care of that).

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
hey guys,

Thanks guys!

If you're talking about the actual name "filmgazing.com," you're in trademark territory, not copyright territory. You can't copyright a title or a website name but you can trademark it. There are two kinds of trademarks: simple trademarks and registered trademarks. The former you obtain merely by being the first to use the trademarked name and putting the (TM) next to it. ReelViews is trademarked in that way. For additional legal protection, you can obtain a registered trademark, (R). To do that, I'd suggest getting some legal help. It's not a complicated process but it does cost money and involves paperwork. For most uses, a simple (TM) is fine.

Any writing you put on your website falls into the copyright category. Again, there are two kinds of copyrights: standard and regular. Copyrights work a little different than trademarks. Any time you write something, it is automatically copyrighted, even if you don't indicate so. For a little added protection and clarification, it's a good idea to have a "(c) 2009 Your Name" on every page, but it's not mandatory. Registering copyrights is almost never done any more except with published books (and publishers typically take care of that).

Hi there

James is 100% correct

I have spent far too many hours with patents, trademarks, URLs and copyright

Basically with a trademark you have a name and a mark. You then establish an area of usage. Basically the wider the use, the more you will pay. My legal friends used the circling the wagons analogy. It's more epxensive to build a big fence!

So my trademarks are in very specific areas that apply to product groups and activities.
In other words it's possible to have two tradmark names but in different product or service areas.

A good introduction is here
http://www.uspto.gov/

It looks like you own a URL already, so my guess is that you want a trademark for usage related to what you do.

There are many on line resources providing overviews in this field.

Good luck
Rob

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 pm
Wow thanks so much James and Rob! very helpful. so let me get this straight:

I, owning the domain name "filmgazing" and adding its contents, can simply put "copyright 2009 Carter Moulton" on the bottom of my webpage, and i'm all set (minimal protection)

And using a trademark, I can put "TM" by filmgazing, but I have to pay someone (U.S. Trademark Office?) a fee?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 pm
Site Admin

moulton4 wrote:
Wow thanks so much James and Rob! very helpful. so let me get this straight:
And using a trademark, I can put "TM" by filmgazing, but I have to pay someone (U.S. Trademark Office?) a fee?

You don't have to pay for TM - that's just marking your turf. You do have to pay if you want to register the trademark. (If you register it, you get to use the "R" with a circle around it.)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile WWW