Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Your desert island music choices are? 
Post Your desert island music choices are?
You are about to be cast away on a desert island and you can only take two discs.

One has to contain a favorite soundtrack
The other is a selection of 50 tracks from your favorite musical artist

What would you take?
For me it's the Mope (Morrissey) and The Crow

Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:00 pm
Post Re: Your desert island music choices are?
Robert Holloway wrote:
You are about to be cast away on a desert island and you can only take two discs.

One has to contain a favorite soundtrack
The other is a selection of 50 tracks from your favorite musical artist

What would you take?
For me it's the Mope (Morrissey) and The Crow

Rob

No, I'm going to break your precious rules Rob! I pick what I want and I pick 50 Judas Priest Songs and Songs in the key of Springfield.....wait, that is a soundtrack kind of. Damn you Rob Holloway, at least remember who saved your ass in WWII!

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:05 pm
If I was stranded on an Island. The soundtrack that I would want would be listening to for a good portion if not, all my life it would be the Forrest Gump soundtrack. It has a great selection of classic rock with a few brilliant ones missing.

My favorite artist I would want 50 of their songs in my head while trying to create fire has to be Incubus their songs are a diverse mix of instrument combinations but their songs Aqueous Transmission, and While Your Were Here are perfect songs to listen to in any tropical area.

Now lets figure out how we are going to listen to all this music.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 pm
Arsenal84 wrote:
If I was stranded on an Island. The soundtrack that I would want would be listening to for a good portion if not, all my life it would be the Forrest Gump soundtrack. It has a great selection of classic rock with a few brilliant ones missing.

My favorite artist I would want 50 of their songs in my head while trying to create fire has to be Incubus their songs are a diverse mix of instrument combinations but their songs Aqueous Transmission, and While Your Were Here are perfect songs to listen to in any tropical area.

Now lets figure out how we are going to listen to all this music.

I thought you were going to suggest another hanks movie to be stranded on an island with - Castaway :-)

Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm
Well, I'm sure I'll take some shots for this but for soundtrack...Garden State. As for the artist---Bruce Springsteen hands down.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm
Two? Are you deranged? How can any music lover whittle it down to just two?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:18 pm
Ken wrote:
Two? Are you deranged? How can any music lover whittle it down to just two?

Deranged? Certainly!
You were given no bags and could only fit two discs into your stuff :-)
Rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Deranged? Certainly!
You were given no bags and could only fit two discs into your stuff :-)
Rob
I have nothing to carry things in and I can only fit two discs into my "stuff"? This sounds like a very uncomfortable trip.

If one of them has to be a soundtrack, I suppose I'll kill two birds with one stone and pick Amadeus. It sucks to exclude Superman, 2001, and countless other great movie soundtracks, but it frees up the other slot. (It would have gone to Mozart's Don Giovanni.)

And for the other one... that's tough. I credit Van Halen's "Eruption" with being my point of entry into music of any kind, but Van Halen One wouldn't even be my first choice among Van Halen albums, let alone all the music of the world. And if it's the only music I'm ever going to listen to again, I'm not sure any 30 minute platter of California party rock is going to cut it.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am
Cast away and 50 buckethead songs.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 am
Patrick wrote:
Damn you Rob Holloway, at least remember who saved your ass in WWII!

and who exactly did save our ass?

My father was in a tank and spent 2 years (not 100 minutes) fighting Rommel up through Africa, into Italy and ever north.

The view in Europe of these events is radically different to the US :-)

But what's new!
Rob

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:16 am
The soundtrack would be for the as-yet-unmade film called New Coke about the nightmare descending upon the world on April 23rd, 1985 -- New Coke. Thanks, Wikipedia. The Royal Tenenbaums had a good soundtrack, too. It isn't as cool as Abbey Road, the other album I'd take.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 am
Desert Island eh??

Soundtrack: Pirates of the Carribean
and 50 songs by Jimmy Buffet.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Damn you Rob Holloway, at least remember who saved your ass in WWII!

and who exactly did save our ass?

My father was in a tank and spent 2 years (not 100 minutes) fighting Rommel up through Africa, into Italy and ever north.

The view in Europe of these events is radically different to the US :-)

But what's new!
Rob

i think i might be confused about WWII. please clarify.

wasn't it actually russia who finally beat the nazis? am i missing something here? the british were fighting on one end. and russia on the other. france had given up. and the germans lost in russia first and then surrendered.

the US were on a revenge mission cuz of pearl harbour. they weren't saving britains ass. if they intended to do that, they would have done it a lot sooner.

am i wrong? i dont wanna be rude and hurt somebody's feelings(really sorry if i am) as war is a soft subject. but isn't that how it went down?? cuz thats what i remember from history classes.

ON TOPIC

well, soundtrack - garden state - i figure im gonna need to chill. and artist, as i am stranded im gonna need hope - the boss.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:20 am
Can I cheat a little and chosse the soundtrack to the 1973 documentary on Jimi Hendrix or to D.A. Pennebaker's "Jimi plays Monterey"? In this case, my artist of choice would be Miles Davis.

If I'm not allowed to nominate soundtracks to concert movies, I would choose the "Superfly" soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield + 50 Jimi Hendrix songs.

aameen wrote:
i think i might be confused about WWII. please clarify.

wasn't it actually russia who finally beat the nazis? am i missing something here? the british were fighting on one end. and russia on the other. france had given up. and the germans lost in russia first and then surrendered.

the US were on a revenge mission cuz of pearl harbour. they weren't saving britains ass. if they intended to do that, they would have done it a lot sooner.

am i wrong? i dont wanna be rude and hurt somebody's feelings(really sorry if i am) as war is a soft subject. but isn't that how it went down?? cuz thats what i remember from history classes.

aameen, you are indeed confused about the subject or rather: you're lacking in-depth knowledge. The history of WWII is quite complicated regarding the details and I would advise you to read a book if you're interested. Regarding your specific questions: Nazi Germany surrendered after Hitler's suicide, not after the battle of Stalingrad, which you may refer to by stating "the Germans lost in Russia first and then surrendered". At the time of surrender, the Nazi's were only in control of a small area in the north of Germany on the Danish border. The allies - France, the UK, the U.S.A. and the U.S.S.R. - had already occupied the rest of the country.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 am
In Europe this is a subject of not a little irritation. There's no doubt that the US involvement was pivotal. Every country fighting with the allies did a critical job. The story of the Russians contribution is amazing and I don't remember too many films covering the topic. Certainly when you watch the epic documentary The World at War it becomes clear. There are stories everywhere, for example the French Resistance "Army of Shadows' was a constant thorn. Each country has it's own perspective.

My father, who lost friends, once said a very true thing to me. Don't forget that the average German was a hero as well. But misguided by dreadful leadership. His experiences in Africa were that Rommel and his troops were not as often depicted.

Meanwhile, back on my Desert island Morrissey is starting another depressing ballad :-). It's a nice day and the sea sounds wonderful on the beach. Time for a beer!

Rob

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm
My desert island music choice would be anything from Rush, whom I consider to be the most amazing band ever. Alice in Chains would come in a close second though.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm
This is too easy :D

The soundtrack of either Superman or Braveheart and 50 songs from Laura Pausini, the most beautiful voice in the universe.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:22 pm
apologies, Unke, i should have been clearer. what i meant was that when the nazis lost in russia, that was a sort of turning point in the war, not actual timing of the surrender. everybody knows they did it after hitler's suicide..so what i was thinking was its kinda like the world cup. you can say that france lost when anelka missed the penalty, but france actually lost when zidane got the red card. screwed up their morale and the penalty order,it just went downhill from there. i was trying to identify that point. but i guess you're right. or rather rob's right. you're both right. it is way more complex than that. a boardgame is more complex than what i had said. anyway, lets just leave it aside and concentrate on our own dooms where we are left on a beach.

hopefully there's rum.

drink up, me 'earties, Yo Ho!!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm
I'm particularly fond of the soundtrack for Spyro the Dragon. Yes, the videogame.

As far as fifty songs by one artist, I'm going to cheat a little bit and say the Vitamin String Quartet. That way, I can listen to my crappy favorites in instrumental form.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 pm
I'd take Metallica (I could leave an album or two behind though) and the beautiful soundtrack to The Fountain.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:58 pm