Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 pm

DVD Extras 
Post DVD Extras
I'm talking about commentaries, outtakes, deleted scenes, Easter Eggs...anything extra that comes with a DVD that you guys really enjoy....generally and specifically.

For example, I always enjoy hearing the director's commentaries on my favorite films. Also, I love checking out the outtakes in comedies...and I get a kick out of finding Easter Eggs on DVD's.

Amongst others, Finding Nemo is one of my favorite commentaries. They cut from the movie at times to show how that specific scene evolved, animation elements, voice talent film, etc. Bob Peterson is hilarious in it.

On the Knocked Up special features there is an extended cut of Dr. Kuni just verbally unloading on Rogen and Heigl's characters. I don't think anyone can keep a straight face through that one.

Couple of Easter Eggs I really enjoyed were on The Ring, The Incredibles (a few them here), and Wall-E.

What about you folks? What extras do you enjoy?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 pm
Post Re: DVD Extras
Most extras are crap in my opinion. Especially the deleted scenes. In most cases said scenes were deleted for a reason or they are so few that I feel cheated when a dvd cover brags about them.

Some film commentaries are golden. Paul Verhoeven has done a few for the various Robocop released that I enjoy. Back to the Future has decent commentaries. Bill Paxton's commentary on Frailty is my all time fav. He gives so much info about making the film where most directors just talk about random bs.

Troma always hits it out of the park with dvd extras.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:29 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I'm talking about commentaries, outtakes, deleted scenes, Easter Eggs...anything extra that comes with a DVD that you guys really enjoy....generally and specifically.

For example, I always enjoy hearing the director's commentaries on my favorite films. Also, I love checking out the outtakes in comedies...and I get a kick out of finding Easter Eggs on DVD's.

Amongst others, Finding Nemo is one of my favorite commentaries. They cut from the movie at times to show how that specific scene evolved, animation elements, voice talent film, etc. Bob Peterson is hilarious in it.

On the Knocked Up special features there is an extended cut of Dr. Kuni just verbally unloading on Rogen and Heigl's characters. I don't think anyone can keep a straight face through that one.

Couple of Easter Eggs I really enjoyed were on The Ring, The Incredibles (a few them here), and Wall-E.

Commentaries and interviews on classic movies
I just watched the entire set of extras on le Doulos
Rarely anything on new movies
Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 pm
ram1312 wrote:

Commentaries and interviews on classic movies
I just watched the entire set of extras on le Doulos
Rarely anything on new movies
Rob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:32 pm
I think the best "extras" were those in the extended version of the Lord of the rings. Most others i feel are just ho hum. The LoTR extras kind of gave value for money and were really something ..well..extra :-)

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm
Pixar has some awesome extras and that is a fact.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 pm
I tipped my hat to Kevin Smith on all the extra goodies he put on J&SBSB. A plethora, if you will.

:lol:

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:26 pm
Patrick wrote:
Pixar has some awesome extras and that is a fact.

True that man...

Every single one of thems...

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 pm
But seriously...why are people always shooting down the extra stuff on DVD's? I think it gives you chance at other things involved with a movie...and if it's a movie you really enjoy or appreciate it should be a welcome to have that included.

Right?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 pm
ram1312 wrote:
But seriously...why are people always shooting down the extra stuff on DVD's? I think it gives you chance at other things involved with a movie...and if it's a movie you really enjoy or appreciate it should be a welcome to have that included.

Right?

Cause most of them are fluff pieces that are gladhanding instead of educating. A few aren't like that but most of them are.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:08 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Right?

Cause most of them are fluff pieces that are gladhanding instead of educating. A few aren't like that but most of them are.

So that's my question right now...do the extras have to be educating? That extra in Knocked Up was definitely not educating but damn well enjoyable and appreciated. At least in my case.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Right?

So that's my question right now...do the extras have to be educating? That extra in Knocked Up was definitely not educating but damn well enjoyable and appreciated. At least in my case.

Maybe educating was the wrong word. I don't want all the features to basically be lectures but I do want more "something something pre-production something something bought the rights something something dark side." and less "Yeah, we're so awesome! We made the most awesome thing ever made! Yeah!"

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Maybe educating was the wrong word. I don't want all the features to basically be lectures but I do want more "something something pre-production something something bought the rights something something dark side." and less "Yeah, we're so awesome! We made the most awesome thing ever made! Yeah!"

Dude...I totally understand that. But you can't tell me that there was a movie you were really into where the extras in the DVD weren't something dedicated towards the production of the film as it appears, but rather...something extra...that you just appreciated because you love/like that movie.

That's what I was looking for in this thread...things each individual appreciates that is "extra" in a DVD.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 pm
You asked why the extras are always being shot down and I answered.

But there's some fluff that I do like, like any documentary on some small thing in a movie, games and trailers...yes I like theatrical trailers dammit!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:34 pm
Patrick wrote:
You asked why the extras are always being shot down and I answered.

But there's some fluff that I do like, like any documentary on some small thing in a movie, games and trailers...yes I like theatrical trailers dammit!

Cool man...

Yes I know...the documentary thing is nice. I know what you mean.

Trailers...I'm with you on that one. That's why I go to a film to the theatres on time...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 am
I like documentaries on classic films, which put the film into context and evaluate the impact of the film on the cinematic landscape. Making-of documentaries of relatively new movies are usually glorified advertisments.

I'm rarely interested in outtakes, deleted scenes, voiceover commentaries or trailers.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:12 am
Superbad has a great selection of deleted scenes and a fairly good commentary track as well (toward the end Seth Rogen unloads on a critic that wished the movie had gone in a more bold direction with the two leads experimenting with homosexuality as in Y tu mamá también).

The commentaries for the four Futurama "movies" make the disappointing experience that are those four movies much better.

Fight Club, still the best DVD out there (debatable), features a flat-out great commentary wherein Chuck Palahniuk nearly concedes the film is superior to the novel. Outstanding! And true!

Brand Upon The Brain! has the great feature of multiple narration tracks (from Guy Maddin, Crispin Glover, Isabella Rossellini, Eli Wallach, etc.) -- it's never the same movie twice. Neat.

The Kevin Smith camp has released great DVDs of their mostly mediocre (sorry) movies but Mallrats contains all kinds of great stuff: the commentary is far superior to the movie and the Q & A... well, you should see it.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Pineapple Express, and the aforementioned Superbad all have multiple "Line-O-Rama" reels that illustrate how making a movie with these guys is not at all like making a movie with Ingmar Bergman.

That's all for now. :D

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 am
I recently watched "Blindness". Usually it's late before I finish the movie and I'm too tired for 'extras', but I watched them on this DVD. I found it incredible how a simple scene like the one with the match could have required so much effort to create.

I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes from Cars as well. Pixar rocks.

I'm curious. What are you considering an "Easter Egg"?

I've found them in Excel or Word, but I had to perform a sequence of keystrokes that I'd never perform without a cheat sheet. Are these similar?? I have many Pixar movies and would love to see more features.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:53 am
Another great commentary track in on This Is Spinal Tap. The guys in the band stay in character while doing the commentary. It's like watching a different movie.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 am
Awf Hand wrote:
I'm curious. What are you considering an "Easter Egg"?

I've found them in Excel or Word, but I had to perform a sequence of keystrokes that I'd never perform without a cheat sheet. Are these similar?? I have many Pixar movies and would love to see more features.

On those Pixar movies, sometimes it just takes pointing the cursor in a different direction. For example, if the options are listed up and down, push the left or right buttons and see what pops up on the screen. Try it with Wall-E on the main screen. I believe there are two of them here. Finding Nemo has a bunch but they are tiny little snippets. On The Incredibles, on some of the menus all it takes is waiting. An Omnidroid pops up on the upper left hand corner, I believe. Select it and press play. On the Cars main screen, wait a few seconds and a Piston Cup appears. Select it and you've got Mater doing Boundin'.

Good lord...I need to stop.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am