Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 am

DVD Extras 
Post Re: DVD Extras
Probably my favorite DVD extra is outtakes. My favorites are The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Serenity.

Commentaries can be really good and interesting. I remember watching the commentary for Clerks, and Jason Mewes passes out less than halfway into it, and wakes up at the end to scream "Go see Mallrats! Fuck yeah!" Awesome. Another funny one is the new commentary for Serenity, done for the two-disc version. Pretty much anything with Nathan Fillion contributing is going to be great. Both the director and cinematographer commentary for Requiem for a Dream were fascinating. They both did an excellent job explaining how the movie was shot, and some of the tricks they did.

But the best commentary of all time has to be "Commentary! The Musical," the musical commentary from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. No question.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:55 am
ram1312 wrote:
Another great commentary track in on This Is Spinal Tap. The guys in the band stay in character while doing the commentary. It's like watching a different movie.

And they keep saying everyone was dead

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 pm
ram1312 wrote:
On the Cars main screen, wait a few seconds and a Piston Cup appears. Select it and you've got Mater doing Boundin'.

I need to check that one out.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
On the Cars main screen, wait a few seconds and a Piston Cup appears. Select it and you've got Mater doing Boundin'.

I need to check that one out.

That one is great! Any other hidden ones in the Pixar lineup?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:47 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
That one is great! Any other hidden ones in the Pixar lineup?

There are tons...I try to find them myself but sometimes I just look them up. There is a site called http://www.eeggs.com where you can look them up.

Granted, most of these things have nothing to with the production of the movie or really add anything intelligent. There's a clip of the Pixar employees having a paper plane flying contest in Monsters Inc. or a scene from The Incredibles done with sock puppets. But like I said before just something extra for those that are into the movie.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 pm
My favourite DVD of all time is the super extra crazy ultimate edition of Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

There is a full length interactive mode that plays OVER the directors cut with subtitles describing that segment of filming process. Small Cyberdine logos appear during key scenes of production so that you can click them, pause the film, and see what was going on behind the scenes. These features not only featured a great amount of insight but were effective given the film context.. highest budget for a film EVER (at the time) and a groundbreaking achievement in Sci-fi and general cinematography.. The Dark Knight of the 90s if you will. Lots of fun. I watched the film again later with some friends and "educated" them as it was unfolding, they thought I was a film genius, haha :D worth every penny

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:04 pm
I like having extras on Blu Ray and DVD's but I hardly get around to watching them, the 20min making of fluff pieces "working with xxx is so great, blah blah" annoy the living crap out of me but I do sit down to watch hour + long making of and retrospectives like the one contained on The Thing (1980) and LotR EE. Commentaries can be great but get a dull person and it is dreadful, I very rarely listen to one the whole way through.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:12 am
I'm a film student dropout, so I'm a sucker for a good commentary (not just some jackass describing what's onscreen) or documentary featurette (not just made-for-HBO promotional pieces).

I'm not a huge fan of commentaries that aren't done by the director, writers, or lead actors, because it usually seems like they weren't intimately involved with the production. Film historians and other professor-types seem to be the worst. But Garrett Brown (inventor and operator of the Steadicam) does a terrific one on The Shining, and Ebert does a great co-commentary with Terry Zwigoff on Crumb. I've not heard Ebert's other commentaries, but he's consistently interesting and insightful, so they're probably good too.

Coppola's commentary on The Godfather is very revealing as to the creative decisions and the hardships that went into that film. I remember being particularly taken aback at how gentlemanly and gentle Coppola seems, and wondering how such a man could have achieved such a brutal and tragic masterpiece.

Paul Schrader is an interesting one. He is, for my money, one of the greatest and most underappreciated artists of American cinema, but furthermore, he also made his bones as a film journalist. I always make it a point to check out a DVD feature or commentary if it has his name on it.

Fight Club actually has a few good commentaries. The one I remember in particular is the one with Fincher, Norton, Pitt, and Bonham-Carter all sitting in. Right off the bat, the hilarious interplay between Norton and Pitt monopolizes the track. Fincher gamely attempts to be serious here and there, while Bonham-Carter is apparently out for a smoke for the majority of the time. There isn't a lot of analytical value, but that mild criticism is dwarfed by the entertainment it has to offer.

I'm trying to think of some of the more oddball special features that have captured my attention...

Ah, yes. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I love it when the original creators have input into the design of the DVD, because it enables the artistic sensibilities of the film to inform everything else on the disc as well. This particular disc has "a special feature for the hard of hearing" (a voice that loudly narrates each menu choice) and the very excellent trailer for the film (one of the few instances in which putting the trailer on the DVD is merited), among other great selections.

I'm not a huge fan of the Superman: Special Edition. The added scenes and sound effects are a huge distraction. But the disc does have a music-only option, which is a great feature that I wish more movies had. It's amazing, how much of the spirit of the story and the character is communicated solely through the music and visuals.

What else... Memento has the feature that allows you to watch the movie with the scenes arranged in order. Perhaps this makes the film itself not as good, but it's very interesting nevertheless, because it drastically recasts the role that the audience plays. Normally, it's a very first-person experience. With the special feature engaged, we're helplessly observing the whole tragic crash course.

ram1312 wrote:
Another great commentary track in on This Is Spinal Tap. The guys in the band stay in character while doing the commentary. It's like watching a different movie.
I wholeheartedly agree. These guys take metafiction to hilarious levels. I particularly liked the antipathy they had towards their "director" over how misrepresented they were in the film ("wanker... bloody wanker"). A good nod to documentary filmmakers who are often criticized for their manipulation of the subject matter.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:30 pm
Ken wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. These guys take metafiction to hilarious levels. I particularly liked the antipathy they had towards their "director" over how misrepresented they were in the film ("wanker... bloody wanker"). A good nod to documentary filmmakers who are often criticized for their manipulation of the subject matter.

Not to mention he didn't show the innumerable times the props did work or the innumerable times they did find the stage.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 pm