Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 am

best harry potter books 
Post Re: best harry potter books
Like Sheryl, I like Order of the Phoenix more than other people. I think I was 13 or 14 at the time book five came out, and I remember reading it first time that it was depressing, complex, and powerful. The ending left me hallowed out (how Sirius's death alienated him from other people around). And I don't think Harry's emotional outlet was annoying in the slightest. I don't always agree all the time when he's yelling, but I understand him (maybe because of the age?). I know book 6 is many people's favorite, but compared to book 5, its emotional issue seemed almost cartoonish in my opinion. (I still like it a lot though) Some of the cartoonish carried on into book 7 a little bit, but book 7's theme and story was the best.

My rating:
5 (in a close battle with book 7)
3 and 6
2 (I would still give it 8/10 though)

My favorite chapter out of 7 books would be "The Forest Again" near the end of book 7, where Harry is contemplating his own mortality. Never before and after has a chapter in Harry Potter hit me so hard.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
After Hermione's torture and many important characters' deaths in book 7, I really, really believed then that J.K. Rowling would make Harry bite the dust (forever, I mean).

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:21 pm
I guess what I liked about book 5 is that Harry really came of age. He finally realized what his role is and what he has to sacrifice to save the people he loves. He stopped living in the shadows of the adults and became more autonomous, became the "chosen one." I agree that he was a tad too whiny and moody in the earlier chapters but I tolerated it b/c the rest of the book was amazing (for me).

The first time I read book 7, I was extremely annoyed with the long-winded wilderness scene. However, I've grown to like it with each reading. I also understand why Rowling felt the need to include that subplot. I think she feels that the trio needed that time to percolate their ideas and feelings about mortality and the deathly hallows. I still think the pacing of that wilderness section could've been better.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 pm
I for one absolutely loved the Harry Potter series.
The only book i would single out as being the weakest would be the first one.

My order would be chronological actually

Hallows
Half Blood
Order
Goblet
Azkaban
Chamber
Stone

I have no idea why you guys did not like Order, Harry's emotional outlet was perfectly understandable and i felt incredbly empathetic towards him.
I dont' know about you guys, but if a fellow classmate was murdered in front of yours...the person who murdered your parents and half the wizarding population was resurrected in front of your eyes...come back and noone belives a word you say...your GF breaks up with you and her best friends rats you out...THEN your only living relative dies in cold blood because of you...

I would be pretty emo aswell.

The order of the Phoenix was masterfully created, perhaps you guys should just be more empathetic rather then blaming an incredibly written book.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 am
Humga wrote:
I have no idea why you guys did not like Order, Harry's emotional outlet was perfectly understandable and i felt incredbly empathetic towards him.
I dont' know about you guys, but if a fellow classmate was murdered in front of yours...the person who murdered your parents and half the wizarding population was resurrected in front of your eyes...come back and noone belives a word you say...your GF breaks up with you and her best friends rats you out...THEN your only living relative dies in cold blood because of you...

The order of the Phoenix was masterfully created, perhaps you guys should just be more empathetic rather then blaming an incredibly written book.

I'm not saying that Harry doesn't need to be all rugged and manly and hold his emotions in but it was so over-the-top that it kinda killed sympathy for Harry. It was so bad that I saw an article about Half-Blood Prince declared he wouldn't be so over-the-top emo.

And the movie version of Order did the emotional outlet much more realistically and better than the book.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:41 am
Patrick wrote:
Humga wrote:

I'm not saying that Harry doesn't need to be all rugged and manly and hold his emotions in but it was so over-the-top that it kinda killed sympathy for Harry. It was so bad that I saw an article about Half-Blood Prince declared he wouldn't be so over-the-top emo.

And the movie version of Order did the emotional outlet much more realistically and better than the book.

I would have to disagree.

He was over-the-top unrealistic emo because he was put into a situation that the common capitalist human would never have experienced.

Have you ever lived your entire life surpressed and repressed? Have you seen the mass murderer of your life ressurect before your eyes then have your fatherly mentor ignore you and the whole world think your an idiot? Have you seen a friend murdered before your face? Have you had your only living relative, a symbol of hope and happiness in your life murdered before your eyes becasue of your own rashness?

I don't think you have. I don't want to assume but i think the majority of people if anyone would have experienced anything remotely close to what Harry experienced. How then can you assume how he should have reacted.

Personally if i went through all that i would slit my wrists sectumsempred crucio'd myself, thankfully Harry Potter is not me. Even if he did slit his wrists sectumsempred crucio'd himself i still wouldn't consider that over-the-top-emo.

I've seen people rage more then Harry when they die in Counter Strike.
I've seen teenagers spas out because there parents didn't let them go out.
I've known girls that have slit there wrists because some guy in school told her she was fat.

Harry Potter was 15 in the Order of the Phoenix. Fif fucking teen. Harry Potter did not overreact. People underreacted, failed to empathise and then proceeded to Blame J.K Rowling for writing a brilliant book that they failed to understand.
I know that statement was abit harsh especially since there are so many that did not like the 5th book, but i seriously fail to understand why anyone can think that Harry over reacted in anyway.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:17 am
But Sirius died at the end of Phoenix....and when he was looking in that magic mirror was the only time his emotions felt real, I'll give you that. But there was a whole bunch of grating over-the-top emotions that feels false! I like the books but Rowling isn't that strong of a writer, she can do plot but she's weaker with emotions and that's the bulk of Phoenix.

I guess I'm not knocking the emo-ness but more of the quality of writing detailing the emo-ness. I'm sure that someone better could use the same situations and same dialogue and make it more real and still keep sympathy towards Harry.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:01 am