Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Liverpool have to score at least 3 times at the Bridge. I just don't see it happening. As for the other game...I'm still pretending that didn't happen.

I see the LA Galaxy want to draft in Chris Birchall as cover for Beckham. He represents a cool country...

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Liverpool have to score at least 3 times at the Bridge. I just don't see it happening. As for the other game...I'm still pretending that didn't happen.

:x
well, you must be blind ed, blind. you hear me?? BLIND!!!!

i believe ive made my point. :)

ed_metal_head wrote:
I see the LA Galaxy want to draft in Chris Birchall as cover for Beckham. He represents a cool country...

funny, i heard something similar, it was this:
http://www.dirtytackle.net/2009/04/vier ... axy-trial/

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 pm
aameen wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I followed your link but before I could read the story I found myself suddenly distracted... ;)

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm
Unke wrote:

Same with me - the top 4 English clubs are far better than the rest of the Premier League. Whenever I get to watch an English team outside the top 4, I'm not all that impressed.

Unke

This is not true. Aston Villa and Everton are both showing serious signs of breaking that stranglehold. The top 4 are better, but the gap is narrowing!

Rob

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 am
Does anyone disagree with this assessment of who is most likely to get to the semi final?

Barcelona
Chelsea
Arsenal
Porto

Man Utd
Villareal
Liverpool
Bayern Munich

If you disagree, why?

Rob

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:28 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Unke wrote:

Same with me - the top 4 English clubs are far better than the rest of the Premier League. Whenever I get to watch an English team outside the top 4, I'm not all that impressed.

Unke

This is not true. Aston Villa and Everton are both showing serious signs of breaking that stranglehold. The top 4 are better, but the gap is narrowing!

Rob

Hi Rob,

as of writing, Aston Villa lie 6 points behind Arsenal on 5th place after having lead Arsenal by 6 points (if I remember correctly) by Christmas. Hardly a sign of breaking into the top 4, is it?

Actually, I was referring to the general quality of football. In Germany, there is a controvery between the national team manager Löw and the clubs. Löw has repeatedly stated that German clubs need to raise their game to the level of speed of the Premier League on the basis of data, which proves that the average time of a player holding the ball in the Premier League is about 0.5 seconds less than in the German Bundesliga. Club managers have countered that argument by pointing out that, if the English top 4 aren't taken into account, there is no such difference.

I know that one match is hardly representative, but I watched the first leg of UEFA Cup quarter final tie Hamburger SV vs. Manchester City on Thursday. Hamburg won 3 : 1 at a relative ease. If City keeper Shay Given hadn't been outstanding, it could have easily been 4 : 1 or more. Now, Manchester City aren't very good this season and Hamburg are joint leaders in Germany, but with quality players at their disposal - Robinho, Wright-Phillips, Richards, Dunne, Bridge, Bellamy etc. - City shouldn't have been outclassed.

In short: The English teams below the top 4 don't really give the impression of being superior to their continental rivals.

Unke

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:44 am
Unke wrote:

Hi Rob,

as of writing, Aston Villa lie 6 points behind Arsenal on 5th place after having lead Arsenal by 6 points (if I remember correctly) by Christmas. Hardly a sign of breaking into the top 4, is it?

Actually, I was referring to the general quality of football. In Germany, there is a controvery between the national team manager Löw and the clubs. Löw has repeatedly stated that German clubs need to raise their game to the level of speed of the Premier League on the basis of data, which proves that the average time of a player holding the ball in the Premier League is about 0.5 seconds less than in the German Bundesliga. Club managers have countered that argument by pointing out that, if the English top 4 aren't taken into account, there is no such difference.

I know that one match is hardly representative, but I watched the first leg of UEFA Cup quarter final tie Hamburger SV vs. Manchester City on Thursday. Hamburg won 3 : 1 at a relative ease. If City keeper Shay Given hadn't been outstanding, it could have easily been 4 : 1 or more. Now, Manchester City aren't very good this season and Hamburg are joint leaders in Germany, but with quality players at their disposal - Robinho, Wright-Phillips, Richards, Dunne, Bridge, Bellamy etc. - City shouldn't have been outclassed.

In short: The English teams below the top 4 don't really give the impression of being superior to their continental rivals.

Unke

Unke

You make a series of excellent points and i agree with your last comment.

I thin we are both correct in that there is a general feeling in the UK that the top 4 are not as secure as they were and this is because of the ongoing progress of Aston Villa and Everton.

I have been an Arsenal supporter for 40 years and definitely feel the concern. That said, we're unbeaten since November in all competitions and victory at Wigan (unlikely) will probably secure 4th place.

Rob

Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:19 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
aameen wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I followed your link but before I could read the story I found myself suddenly distracted... ;)

you should check out the blog the spoiler. a mixture of football commentary, a daily series called"WAG of the day", and random off the field videos including bad adverts made by torres. :lol:

all these blogs, spoiler, dirty tackle, kickette, studs up, snorting the endline all are in a tight circle of all things football. a way better method to follow football than anything on tv. except for the matches, that is. :)

i include the last just for the name.

PS- kickette is pink.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:35 am
It's not like the top 4 EPL teams have been shutting teams out of the Champions League for that long. I remember Everton pipped Liverpool for 4th place in 2005. A few seasons before that Newcastle had a couple top 4 finishes...and just before that it was Leeds who regularly featured in Europe.

Each of the current Big 4 has gone through (relatively) barren spells at some time.

Liverpool are challenging for the title for the first time in a long while. Under Houllier they were solid, but probably spent more time in the UEFA cup then the Champions League.

Chelsea are dominant since Abramovich came to town. Prior to that, they struggled for consistency. I think they made one Champions League, back when Tore Andre Flo was a class forward.

I may stand corrected as this is a bit before my time, but I think both Arsenal and Man United also struggled for many years before Messrs Wenger and Ferguson joined their clubs.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 am
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/3249/38/

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 am
aameen wrote:
http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/3249/38/

yeah football is a business and big successful companies can afford to pay more for top talent :-)

Rob

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm
im speechless. frank lampard- why??? im left thinking if raina didn't do what he did....

after a match like that......what can you say. salute to the liverpool team - damn they never gave up. one of the great matches. im convinced we'll win the league after that. nothing can stop this team - nothing. agger should have played, not skrtel. ahhh.... forget that....

looking forward to next years. :)

NOW....
manu - Porto ---- i can only see porto winning here. maybe draw.
arsenal to challenge barca for the final.

YNWA!!!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:17 am
The only thing I can say about that game is to quote The Bridge on the River Kwai...

Madness! Madness!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
The only thing I can say about that game is to quote The Bridge on the River Kwai...

Madness! Madness!

ed im interested, who do want to go through, chelsea or barca?? more specifically, do you want barca to win as they're better or do you want barca to lose as they kicked bayern out. :?: :?: :?:

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 pm
aameen wrote:
ed im interested, who do want to go through, chelsea or barca?? more specifically, do you want barca to win as they're better or do you want barca to lose as they kicked bayern out. :?: :?: :?:

aameen, it doesn't matter who Barcelona plays...it could be the Kansas City Wizards, I'll always support the other team. Ditto for Real Madrid. When Barca or Real lose a game, it gives me more schadenfreude than you could imagine. This has nothing to do with what teams they've beaten in the past. You see, locally there are a ton of football "fans" who support either Barca or Real (depending on who the in form side is) and couldn't name more than 3 players from each side. I wouldn't mind this, but they tend to be incredibly vocal and enjoy rubbing it in when their side wins.

Actually, I kind of like Chelsea. People tend to forget that they always had money (obviously not the amount they have now) and world class players. It doesn't hurt that Ballack is in the squad.

However, now that Bayern is out, I'd like it if Arsenal wins the Champions League.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
aameen wrote:

aameen, it doesn't matter who Barcelona plays...it could be the Kansas City Wizards, I'll always support the other team. Ditto for Real Madrid. When Barca or Real lose a game, it gives me more schadenfreude than you could imagine. This has nothing to do with what teams they've beaten in the past. You see, locally there are a ton of football "fans" who support either Barca or Real (depending on who the in form side is) and couldn't name more than 3 players from each side. I wouldn't mind this, but they tend to be incredibly vocal and enjoy rubbing it in when their side wins.

Actually, I kind of like Chelsea. People tend to forget that they always had money (obviously not the amount they have now) and world class players. It doesn't hurt that Ballack is in the squad.

However, now that Bayern is out, I'd like it if Arsenal wins the Champions League.

im hoping the same. either arsenal or barca for me. im not supporting barca or something like that but i do enjoy their football. so lets say, i like the team, dont even know shit about the club. and dont care.

and as for "schadenfreude", i get where you're coming from. only over here its manchester united. :)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 am
Did you all catch the semis? I thought Arsenal were really disappointing. They usually play such gorgeous stuff, but yesterday they came out to defend.

I do understand Chelsea's approach however. I think it's more difficult for Barcelona to get a good result at Stamford Bridge than it is for Man U to get a result at the Emirates.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Did you all catch the semis? I thought Arsenal were really disappointing. They usually play such gorgeous stuff, but yesterday they came out to defend.

I do understand Chelsea's approach however. I think it's more difficult for Barcelona to get a good result at Stamford Bridge than it is for Man U to get a result at the Emirates.

biggest snoozefests this season. it seems someone will have to teach arsenal how to play a through ball. not one. man, i have to stay awake till 2:00 AM to watch the game and i certainly dont like what happened.

chelsea of course did the tactically correct thing. shut out barca. although i will say they got away with a LOT. ballack was a red card(german ref) and henry's was definitely a penalty.

the other match, someone teach arsenal to play a through ball. all i'm gonna say. or make diagnal runs for that matter. all they did was hover around 40-30 yards from goal, hoping moses would split the defense.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 am
aameen wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

biggest snoozefests this season. it seems someone will have to teach arsenal how to play a through ball. not one. man, i have to stay awake till 2:00 AM to watch the game and i certainly dont like what happened.

chelsea of course did the tactically correct thing. shut out barca. although i will say they got away with a LOT. ballack was a red card(german ref) and henry's was definitely a penalty.

the other match, someone teach arsenal to play a through ball. all i'm gonna say. or make diagnal runs for that matter. all they did was hover around 40-30 yards from goal, hoping moses would split the defense.

Yeah, and Arshavin isn't even available for the Champions League.

Fri May 01, 2009 10:58 am
WHERE ARE THE OTHER FOOTBALL FANS???? WHY IS THIS THREAD DEAD??? only me and ed....

c'mon people give it something.

i know! give me predictions!!

im going for barca and man u going through. i want barca and arsenal to go through.
there.

Sun May 03, 2009 3:29 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next