Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hmm, as an Arsenal fan I'd have to say that this is a great draw for us. the only team I fear in this competition is Liverpool.

Supporting the Gunners is like barracking for Peter O'Toole at the Oscars - they never win anything at the end 8-)

But then this is coming from a Newcastle supporter... Championships here we come :(

Jokes aside though I hope Arsenal get to at least the semis. With Wenger at its helm they have been the epitome of common sense and good financial practice while playing some dazzling football along the way. They should get pass Villarreal but they really miss someone like Patrick Vieira that added much needed steel to their defence. I was gutted that they lost Flamini in the summer and now they don't have an able DMF.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:30 am
can i get a HELL YEAH????!!!!

awesome match my friends. bloody awesome results too. manchester got what was coming, although i will say that tevez tackle on Hulk was a penalty. got their work cut out for em now. porto would have broken up a can of whoop ass had it not been for rooney's reactions on both goals. the hulk got no decisions given for him, none. bloddy good match though. the commentator here was right. it was a basketball match. no midfield battles. just you attack, i attack. carrick was invisible the whole match..anyway, im too pumped for coherent thought out posts, so im just gonna ramble.cant wait for the destruction of the red scot devil or the look on pretty boys face when he loses. Aahahahahah.
porto - 2 away goals with a return leg that nobody has beaten them in in history.
fuckin'....

A.

gunners getting an away goal was good too. especially after 2 early injuries. still haven't watched this. will tomorrow. its 2:30 in the morning here. :)

good results. keeps things interesting for the return leg. :D :D :D

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 pm
Advantage Porto and Arsenal
Man Utd's quintuple season is now in very serious danger.
and Everton await!
Rob

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:12 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Advantage Porto and Arsenal
Man Utd's quintuple season is now in very serious danger.
and Everton await!
Rob

i almost forgot. AAaaahahahaha!!

especially with everton playing so well. hahahaha.

quintuple??? hahaha. not with the way they're playing.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:17 pm
Hulk Smash! :mrgreen:

Good action all round. Can't wait for tomorrow!

new_xieland wrote:
But then this is coming from a Newcastle supporter... Championships here we come

Are you "Dave from Newcastle" who has a "Ameobi" addiction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-o3d4W5p0I

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

new_xieland wrote:
But then this is coming from a Newcastle supporter... Championships here we come

Hahaha... I see you're a fan of The Special One TV as well. Come on Jose, ditch Inter and join Newcastle 8-)

Man U looked really out of sorts today against a defiant Porto. They supposedly got the easiest of the draws but now face a daunting task in the return leg. It looks like the cracks are starting to appear though to be fair they were missing key figures in defence. Arsenal should get the done back at the Emirates as long as they don't concede early like they did here.

It's a coin toss between Liverpool and Chelsea while I think Barcelona will have too much firepower for Bayern to cope.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:34 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

new_xieland wrote:

thank you, ed. i never knew about this series, or whatever it is. huge lulz. :D

also, as this is the only football thread, PES 2010 was announced recently.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.ph ... nced.phtml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... ation-xbox

looks good. especially the zonal marking, strategies based on individual talents and the control of multiple players at once.
although i think the latter is just 2 or more runners instead of one. but still, im excited.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 am
I hope Porto and Villareal can both work some magic and move one. The EPL clubs bore the hell out of me.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:03 am
Bondurant wrote:
I hope Porto and Villareal can both work some magic and move one. The EPL clubs bore the hell out of me.

I have heard Arsenal called many things under Wenger, but never boring :-(
Rob

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:54 am
Sadly I don't get Setanta anymore, so no more Special 1 TV. Then again, all the clips seem to be on youtube anyway.

aameen, check out some with 'Wenger the Voyeur'. Any scene where he calls in to the show is hilarious to me.

I haven't played a FIFA or PES in years, but I did start playing Football Manager a little while ago, Very addictive!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:19 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Sadly I don't get Setanta anymore, so no more Special 1 TV. Then again, all the clips seem to be on youtube anyway.

aameen, check out some with 'Wenger the Voyeur'. Any scene where he calls in to the show is hilarious to me.

I haven't played a FIFA or PES in years, but I did start playing Football Manager a little while ago, Very addictive!

dude, im way ahead here. seen every episode (episode? clip?) they've done. just love it. loved the one especially about the voyeur. the pastry shop one. with the creepy video in the special 1's house.

thanks for this. 15 min till kick off. i'm pumped.

c'mon liverpool. lets dismantle the chelski folk. :twisted:

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

I have heard Arsenal called many things under Wenger, but never boring :-(
Rob

Truth be told they are not a bore. I just can't get into the EPL like many other Americans have. It's not that I dislike the league, I will watch games when I can, I just don't buy into the "best league in the world" business. The top clubs remind me of the Yankees...spend, spend, spend. Being a fan of MLS I think I've become fond of the little leagues in Europe. I follow Rangers and Ajax when I'm able.

I will change my status on the CL outcome. I still want Porto to seal the deal but, for your sake, I'll take Arsenal beating Villareal (they did cast Jozy aside to Xeres and Rossi is a traitor!).

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:36 pm
Wow - half time and Barca are really struggling ;-)
and Liverpool could easily be 3-1 down if Didier had his shooting boots on!

Great games

Rob

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 pm
:cry: :x :cry:

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:39 pm
aameen wrote:

I still think you guys are not out of this one yet.
An early goal at the Bridge and you may be the one team who can roll them over
Tough though!

Rob

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:51 pm
Semi finals?

Porto vs Arsenal
Chelsea vs Barcelona

Final - Arsenal to gain revenge on Barca in Italy :-)

Maybe I'm a dreamer....

Rob

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:52 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Or try this site here: www.theworldgame.com.au

It's a Aussie site run by SBS and thoroughly dedicated to all things involving football. It has a pretty extensive media section that's updated daily showing all highlights of all major competitions, analysis and The Special One TV :D

aameen wrote:

What an awesome game ! Well I guess there is still 90 minutes left at the bridge to play though it'll be very hard for Liverpool. Still they are the escape artists of football and you just never know.

Robert Holloway wrote:
Semi finals?

Porto vs Arsenal
Chelsea vs Barcelona

Final - Arsenal to gain revenge on Barca in Italy :-)

Maybe I'm a dreamer....

Rob

If Barca plays like that again, there isn't a single team in the competition that can stand against them.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 pm
well... ive slept. now i may say i can actually see liverpool winning at the bridge. i can see it. but.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

anyway, here's a something i ive been reading about all things football. quite funny.

STUDS UP.

http://www.studs-up.com/2009/03/wait-how-many/?page=0
http://www.studs-up.com/2009/03/dr-merseyside/

this'll give you a good example of what they do.

PS - DAMN YOU HIDDINK!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL, YOU ABRAMOVICH EMPLOYED TACTICAL SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!! I HOPE YOU LOSE TO UGANDA IN THE WORLD CUP!!! FIRST YOU RUIN THE 2002 WORLD CUP WITH YOUR BRIBERY, NOW THIS?????!!!!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 am
Bondurant wrote:
I just can't get into the EPL like many other Americans have. It's not that I dislike the league, I will watch games when I can, I just don't buy into the "best league in the world" business. The top clubs remind me of the Yankees...spend, spend, spend. Being a fan of MLS I think I've become fond of the little leagues in Europe. I follow Rangers and Ajax when I'm able.

Same with me - the top 4 English clubs are far better than the rest of the Premier League. Whenever I get to watch an English team outside the top 4, I'm not all that impressed.

Bondurant, since you're an MLS fan, could you tell me about the state of the game in the U.S.? When Beckham went to LA Galaxy, there was a bit of coverage on the MLS, but there's precious little information now. Are matches well attended?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:23 am
MLS games average around 16k people. So yeah, fairly well attended. Though there are some visible differences among teams.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next