Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Sitting here, by my lonesome, watching Arsenal v Wolves and wishing it was a Bundesliga match instead. Bless those Germans for putting out such a splendid product. Nothing compares.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:50 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Now Liverpool are just 6 points behind Chelsea and Tottenham for the final CL spot. I would laugh so hard if Liverpool supplanted Chelsea in the CL after Torres' statement that his motivation for moving was to play in the top tier. It would make me believe in the concept of karma.

You and millions of others like me. But that point at home to Wigan today was bad news. It's hard for me to see how you'll make 4th.

Meanwhile us Gooners plough forwards.

Rob

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:55 am
Bondurant wrote:
Sitting here, by my lonesome, watching Arsenal v Wolves and wishing it was a Bundesliga match instead. Bless those Germans for putting out such a splendid product. Nothing compares.

Do you support anyone in England, Bondurant? I'm on recent record as finding The Arsenal very pleasing to the eye. That Wolves game was a perfect example of how they play. Beautiful passing, but most of the time they lack either the last pass or the killer finish. It will be interesting to see how they fare against Barcelona.

I'm terribly excited for the Bayern vs Inter Milan game. Inter are much improved under Leonardo but there's a good chance that we'll see a fully fit Robben and Ribery playing together. Robben has been at the club for a season and a half and I think the two have only played together in less than 10 games. Ribery was only partially fit for most of that time too. Hopefully they can last together until the end of the season.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Did anyone see Wayne Rooney's overhead kick in the Manchester derby at the weekend? Stunning. And it won us the game!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am
Arron wrote:
Did anyone see Wayne Rooney's overhead kick in the Manchester derby at the weekend? Stunning. And it won us the game!

I hate to admit it but that was a really great goal. It's an even greater goal if you consider the score at the time, the fact that it was a game winner and the importance of the game (title rival/derby). Damn those devils.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Tottenham beating AC Milan in Milan last night was a slight shock, but an excellent result.

Barcelona vs Arsenal tonight. I may not be able to watch this game which is a shame. If it's anything like the game they played last season, it's going to be some of the best football you're likely to witness. Two great flowing, attacking teams. Sometimes when it's like that, they just cancel each other out; but I don't think so with this game. Arsenal have something to prove after getting trounced by Barcelona last year.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

Do you support anyone in England, Bondurant? I'm on recent record as finding The Arsenal very pleasing to the eye. That Wolves game was a perfect example of how they play. Beautiful passing, but most of the time they lack either the last pass or the killer finish. It will be interesting to see how they fare against Barcelona.

I'm terribly excited for the Bayern vs Inter Milan game. Inter are much improved under Leonardo but there's a good chance that we'll see a fully fit Robben and Ribery playing together. Robben has been at the club for a season and a half and I think the two have only played together in less than 10 games. Ribery was only partially fit for most of that time too. Hopefully they can last together until the end of the season.

No, Sir. If a game is on I'll watch it. If there's Americans playing I hope they do well. I always cheer against the English clubs in Champions League. I could care less about their money or the league as a whole. No parody and I find it hard to enjoy when one club has a 66% chance of winning the league every year. That's why I love Bundesliga so much. To top it off the domestic supporters are less annoying.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm

English football fans, in general, are idiots.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 am
Bondurant wrote:
No, Sir. If a game is on I'll watch it. If there's Americans playing I hope they do well. I always cheer against the English clubs in Champions League. I could care less about their money or the league as a whole. No parody and I find it hard to enjoy when one club has a 66% chance of winning the league every year. That's why I love Bundesliga so much. To top it off the domestic supporters are less annoying.

A lot of your criticisms (money, one team winning almost every year) can also be pointed at clubs in Spain, Italy or even France (Lyon dominated for years and spent a ridiculous amount of money to reclaim their top spot. Instead, they're doing worse...).

But again, I agree and again I lament that I can't see any of the games. Dortmund's total domination (with a very young side) is one of the more interesting of many great Bundesliga stories (look at the teams near/in the relegation zone).

Arron wrote:
English football fans, in general, are idiots.

They've come a long way. Some of the Italian "Ultras" seem worse. You hear about racist chants and stabbings almost every season.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Chelsea are out of the FA Cup - hurrah!

A possible Arsenal vs Manchester Utd quarter-final could be lovely.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm
Rough and tumble.

Attachments:
6a00e54ef2975b8833014e5f5e70cb970c-450wi.jpg
6a00e54ef2975b8833014e5f5e70cb970c-450wi.jpg [ 24.12 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Rough and tumble.

You've got to love the prominently displayed "Respect" badge on Gattuso's sleeve. I like the player though. He's a tough tackler but I can't recall him losing his temper to this extent.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm
He's one of my favorites. The man has heart and determination, perhaps, like no other. AC Milan came to Chicago for a friendly against the Fire back in '05 and he was the only Milan player that gave a shit about the game and the fans who payed a lot of money to see Milan.

Not sure if anyone knows what set him off just yet. At least he's already apologized. Credit for that is due. Too bad he got hot towards an old man, though.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:30 pm
Bondurant wrote:
He's one of my favorites. The man has heart and determination, perhaps, like no other. AC Milan came to Chicago for a friendly against the Fire back in '05 and he was the only Milan player that gave a shit about the game and the fans who payed a lot of money to see Milan.

Not sure if anyone knows what set him off just yet. At least he's already apologized. Credit for that is due. Too bad he got hot towards an old man, though.

I heard/read somewhere that Joe Jordan - the "old man", a former Scotland international and, ironically, a former Milan player - was constantly winding up Gattuso throughout the match and shouting abuse in Glaswegian slang, which former 'Hun' Gattuso would be able to understand (also, he's married to a Scot, I believe). Nevertheless, Gattuso's behaviour was absolutely unacceptable.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 am
A quick rant about the Fox Soccer Channel:

They're showing Chelsea vs. Copenhagen live and the Lyon/Madrid game delayed. Tomorrow they're showing Marseille/Man United live and are delaying the Bayern/Inter game which is a rematch of last year's final. Does FSC think that everyone is in love with English teams? I'd like to think that most of their audience would prefer see Bayern/Inter, but you never know.

I sure miss seeing those games on ESPN. Derek Rae owns every single one of those English commentators on the FSC broadcast. Those guys know nothing except their own league. I remember a game in Germany a couple of years back where the English commentator was amazed that the stadium announcer would say the player's first name and the crowd would yell the surname. I guess he thought that was a new thing or limited to the club in question.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

They're showing Chelsea vs. Copenhagen live and the Lyon/Madrid game delayed. Tomorrow they're showing Marseille/Man United live and are delaying the Bayern/Inter game which is a rematch of last year's final. Does FSC think that everyone is in love with English teams? I'd like to think that most of their audience would prefer see Bayern/Inter, but you never know.

I sure miss seeing those games on ESPN. Derek Rae owns every single one of those English commentators on the FSC broadcast. Those guys know nothing except their own league. I remember a game in Germany a couple of years back where the English commentator was amazed that the stadium announcer would say the player's first name and the crowd would yell the surname. I guess he thought that was a new thing or limited to the club in question.

The folks at FSC are onto something. American soccer fans are generally into the English clubs. Honestly that is part of why I'm so turned off by the EPL. If I had a quarter for every time I heard an American say "we" in reference so an English club I'd be a rich man. FSC and ESPN help keep the madness going.

I want to see Bundesliga clubs and Ajax but I'll never get what I want until I own/operate ESPN and/or FSC.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 pm
Bondurant wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

The folks at FSC are onto something. American soccer fans are generally into the English clubs. Honestly that is part of why I'm so turned off by the EPL. If I had a quarter for every time I heard an American say "we" in reference so an English club I'd be a rich man. FSC and ESPN help keep the madness going.

I want to see Bundesliga clubs and Ajax but I'll never get what I want until I own/operate ESPN and/or FSC.

Psssst: moc.tropsmorf.www

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:37 am
Bondurant wrote:

Either FSC (back when it was Fox Sports World) or ESPN used to show Bundesliga games for a season or two. I even remember the odd Dutch league game on a Sunday morning. Guess it wasn't profitable.

I did expect that the US fans would be into the Premiership the most, but I assumed the large number of people with migrant ties might be more interested in Italy/Spain.

Call me crazy, but I think the quality of FSC's studio analysis has gone down. I've always preferred the ESPN guys, but FSC did have the great Max Bretos (now totally wasted on ESPN) and these days they're employing a "pundit" like Warren Barton. At least I no longer have to put up with Andy Gray's commentary.

Unke wrote:
Psssst: moc.tropsmorf.www

I use a similar service sometimes, but there's a big difference in watching a 90 minute match on a big screen from the comforts of your couch compared to watching a slightly pixelated game on a computer screen. Still, it's better than not seeing the football at all. Sometimes...

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Haha Andy 'sexist, probably racist as well' Gray' - Take a bow son, take a bow!

It took a good fifteen or so years to get used to his voice and not want to harm myself whilst he was exhuding verbal faecal matter.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm
Congrats, Alex, you must be overjoyed about that Carling Cup final.

Me? I'll go back to weeping...

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next