Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
Arron wrote:
Another win for Man Utd last night. Again we didn't play particularly well, but goals from Hernandez and Nani sorted us out. Nani has been a revelation this season. He's been one of our most frustrating players of recent years, but he's really come into his own this season. I think he has the most assists in the league this year.

He's been around so long that it's easy to forget how young he is. With Ronaldo gone there's been pressure on him to step up and he sure has responded. I'm not his biggest fan but that was a really well taken goal.

Arsenal vs Man City starts in a bit and I'm more than a little excited!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I only saw the highlights, but the Arsenal vs Man City game looked like a cracker! How Arsenal didn't win is beyond me. The perfect scoreline for Man Utd though, alone with Chelsea and Tottenham getting beat.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 am
Arron wrote:
I only saw the highlights, but the Arsenal vs Man City game looked like a cracker! How Arsenal didn't win is beyond me. The perfect scoreline for Man Utd though, alone with Chelsea and Tottenham getting beat.

Typical Arsenal, really. Dominated possession and got into a lot of dangerous positions in the opponent's area. However, either the final ball or the finish was lacking. Man U's lead isn't massive yet but it's already their title to lose. I just get the impression that the other contenders (pretenders?) will continue to drop points leaving the Red Devils with a comfortable finish. I hope I'm wrong though...

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:37 pm
Now that I finally have a regular internet connection I can once again partake in global soccer action. ESPN360 be praised!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:14 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Now that I finally have a regular internet connection I can once again partake in global soccer action. ESPN360 be praised!

Or be damned. I wanted to try it out but seems it's unavailable here. I'm accustomed to this by now. It's the same with netflix, hulu and half the copyrighted videos on youtube.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Man Utd still at the top of the league and still unbeaten - excellent! Chelsea have hit a little bit of form recently and got their first away win since October last night against Bolton. Still no sign of Utd buying anyone in this transfer window. Alex Ferguson has given his usual response of "there's no value in the market in January", which I guess is right. We'll certainly need to bolster the squad and get some long-term replacements for Giggs and Scholes in the summer.

The FA Cup 4th round is at the weekend, which is always a good competition to root for the underdog.

The Champions League starts again next month which is always exciting.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm
Arron wrote:
The FA Cup 4th round is at the weekend, which is always a good competition to root for the underdog.

It certainly is. I'll be rooting for Birmingham City, who haven't won a major trophy for 48 years. Although on Saturday, Birmingham are playing Coventry, so I suppose Coventry are technically the underdogs in this game.

The Blues are also playing West Ham tomorrow in the Carling Cup.

FA Cup and Carling Cup double? I can only dream...

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm
Arron wrote:
Man Utd still at the top of the league and still unbeaten - excellent! Chelsea have hit a little bit of form recently and got their first away win since October last night against Bolton. Still no sign of Utd buying anyone in this transfer window. Alex Ferguson has given his usual response of "there's no value in the market in January", which I guess is right. We'll certainly need to bolster the squad and get some long-term replacements for Giggs and Scholes in the summer.

Don't forget that Arsenal is pretty close in terms of points. Man U does have a game in hand, but it's a tough one (vs Chelsea) where they could falter.

Alex wrote:
Arron wrote:

It certainly is. I'll be rooting for Birmingham City, who haven't won a major trophy for 48 years. Although on Saturday, Birmingham are playing Coventry, so I suppose Coventry are technically the underdogs in this game.

The Blues are also playing West Ham tomorrow in the Carling Cup.

FA Cup and Carling Cup double? I can only dream...

Alex! Welcome to the thread (I think...)

What are your thoughts on Alex McLeish (wait, you're not that Alex, right?)? Truth be told, I'm not convinced by his managerial skills but he's been there a while and seems to have the support of the ownership/fans. Is that the case? Incidentally, a lot of people laughed when Carson Yeung took over, but he's actually been good for the club. To an outsider like me he seems a far better owner than the previous regime. Thoughts?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 pm

True, Arsenal are still up there and their recent demolition of Wigan will give them plenty of confidence. Arsenal HAVE to win something this season I think. Even if it's only the League Cup (which they're playing in tonight against Ipswich. Ipswich won the first leg 1-0). I'm a big fan of Jack Wilshere as well. That young man is going to be one of Englands best if he continues to develop.

Blackpool vs Man Utd tonight, which has just kicked off. Hopefully another three points in the bag and keep the unbeaten run going. We've put a pretty strong team out which is always pleasing to see.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm
When I took over at St. Andrews...just kidding.

Carson Yeung has been good so far. He has brought some money and hired McLeish, but there are rumours of a rift brewing between them.

McLeish did well last season, but the playing style has been quite negative. Birmingham are hard to beat, but they don't score very often.

A win against West Ham tonight will propel them into a Carling Cup final with Arsenal! I was at The Blues last Carling Cup Final against Liverpool at the Millennium Stadium where we were cruelly denied in a penalty shoot-out after extra time.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 am
Arron wrote:
True, Arsenal are still up there and their recent demolition of Wigan will give them plenty of confidence. Arsenal HAVE to win something this season I think. Even if it's only the League Cup (which they're playing in tonight against Ipswich. Ipswich won the first leg 1-0). I'm a big fan of Jack Wilshere as well. That young man is going to be one of Englands best if he continues to develop.

Blackpool vs Man Utd tonight, which has just kicked off. Hopefully another three points in the bag and keep the unbeaten run going. We've put a pretty strong team out which is always pleasing to see.

Sorry about this but: *ugh*. I was so happy that Man U were finally picking up their first loss but I should've known never to count those devils out. Their ability to come back from the dead is unparalleled in world football.

Alex wrote:
When I took over at St. Andrews...just kidding.

Carson Yeung has been good so far. He has brought some money and hired McLeish, but there are rumours of a rift brewing between them.

McLeish did well last season, but the playing style has been quite negative. Birmingham are hard to beat, but they don't score very often.

A win against West Ham tonight will propel them into a Carling Cup final with Arsenal! I was at The Blues last Carling Cup Final against Liverpool at the Millennium Stadium where we were cruelly denied in a penalty shoot-out after extra time.

The West Ham owners were in charge of Birmingham before, yes? Didn't one of them claim that he was begged to stay behind in some capacity or some such rubbish. Imho they've done a bad job at West Ham and share a lot of blame for that side's struggles. They complained about the signings of the previous regime and bring players like Benni McCarthy who's done absolutely nothing. Even worse, they've undermined their manager publicly. Supposedly they had a deal with MON and were about to fire Grant only for MON to walk away and leave Grant in an embarrassing position. I like Avram, but I hope Birmingham puts a beating on them just because of Gold/Sullivan.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm
Que sera, sera! Whatever will be, will be! We're going to WEM-BER-LEY!! Que sera, sera!!

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 am

Alex wrote:
Que sera, sera! Whatever will be, will be! We're going to WEM-BER-LEY!! Que sera, sera!!

One of the worst chants of all-time, but shamefully I've been known to be at Old Trafford singing the same song. I hang my head in shame.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm
Alex wrote:

One hell of a comeback. Congrats. I'll be pulling hard for the Arsenal in the final though.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 pm
The Americans are invading Turkey. Altidore goes to Bursaspor on loan and the ever falling Freddy Adu finds himself on loan to a Turkish second division club I've never heard of.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 am
Some of those transfers really stagger the mind. I'm left wondering if Liverpool, and to a lesser extent, Chelsea, have gone mad.

First up is Chelsea's signing of David Luiz. In theory I like this signing a whole lot. In actuality, it's still pretty good but it does raise some questions. To begin, he was awfully expensive. At a over 20 Million Pounds he becomes one of the more expensive central defenders of all time. More importantly, Luiz is left-footed and has spent his whole life playing as the left-central defender (or even at left back). At Chelsea John Terry has also spent his entire career playing as the left-central defender. The only time he's moved to the right-central position was for the World Cup and we all know how that went. That said, Luiz has the potential to be a brilliant player and perhaps the best defender at the club. He's tall, strong, fast and by all accounts is a great "character" guy. It's still a lot of money to pay when one of your defenders is going to be unhappy over a positional change.

Fernando Torres is probably the world's best centre forward when he's fit. The key to the sentence is "when fit". At 26 he's still young and he could potentially lead Chelsea's line for over 5 years. That's not bad, but it's an awful lot of money to pay for a player who seems to get at least one serious injury per season. More importantly, his signing raises more serious questions about positioning than David Luiz's does. Torres is a lone centre forward. That's it. He can't play out wide and he struggles to perform when he's part of a two man strike unit (with Robbie Keane at Liverpool or with David Villa for Spain). The other strikers at Chelsea are Drogba and Anelka. Let's forget about Anelka for the moment because this transfer surely condemns him to the bench. What is Drogba? Another lone centre forward! He too cannot play with another striker. They tried to play him as part of a two striker system with both Shevchenko and with Anelka. It didn't work. Both Sheva and Anelka ended up being pushed out wide. What happens at Chelsea? Will they keep playing 4-3-3 and push either Torres or Drogba wide? Neither of them will be happy with such a move. They could go 4-4-2 but that's a risky formation to play with two forwards who are so similar.

Liverpool take the crazy award though. And all that for one signing. They lost Torres so they went into panic buy mode. Who did they get? Andy Carroll. Normally he's not a terrible signing. He's young and has a decent goal scoring record. However, Liverpool paid 35 Million Pounds for Andy Carroll thus making him the record British signing. He's not even worth half of that. That's about how much Real Madrid paid for Luis Figo when he was one of the best players in the world. That's more than Chelsea paid for Sheva when he was one of the best strikers in the world. You want more recent? That's more than Barcelona paid for David Villa who is one of the best strikers in the world. It's much more than Man City paid for Edin Dzeko who has the same physical attributes as Carroll but has proven himself in other leagues. Yes, Andy Carroll has a nice scoring record this season but he's been playing at the top level for half of a season. He's also had some injury concerns in his short career, but more importantly he has assaulted teammates and members of the public and loves the nightlife. How Liverpool could spend so much money for an immature and unproven commodity is beyond me.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:15 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Some of those transfers really stagger the mind. I'm left wondering if Liverpool, and to a lesser extent, Chelsea, have gone mad.

Fernando Torres is probably the world's best centre forward when he's fit. The key to the sentence is "when fit". At 26 he's still young and he could potentially lead Chelsea's line for over 5 years. That's not bad, but it's an awful lot of money to pay for a player who seems to get at least one serious injury per season. More importantly, his signing raises more serious questions about positioning than David Luiz's does. Torres is a lone centre forward. That's it. He can't play out wide and he struggles to perform when he's part of a two man strike unit (with Robbie Keane at Liverpool or with David Villa for Spain). The other strikers at Chelsea are Drogba and Anelka. Let's forget about Anelka for the moment because this transfer surely condemns him to the bench. What is Drogba? Another lone centre forward! He too cannot play with another striker. They tried to play him as part of a two striker system with both Shevchenko and with Anelka. It didn't work. Both Sheva and Anelka ended up being pushed out wide. What happens at Chelsea? Will they keep playing 4-3-3 and push either Torres or Drogba wide? Neither of them will be happy with such a move. They could go 4-4-2 but that's a risky formation to play with two forwards who are so similar.

Liverpool take the crazy award though. And all that for one signing. They lost Torres so they went into panic buy mode. Who did they get? Andy Carroll. Normally he's not a terrible signing. He's young and has a decent goal scoring record. However, Liverpool paid 35 Million Pounds for Andy Carroll thus making him the record British signing. He's not even worth half of that. That's about how much Real Madrid paid for Luis Figo when he was one of the best players in the world. That's more than Chelsea paid for Sheva when he was one of the best strikers in the world. You want more recent? That's more than Barcelona paid for David Villa who is one of the best strikers in the world. It's much more than Man City paid for Edin Dzeko who has the same physical attributes as Carroll but has proven himself in other leagues. Yes, Andy Carroll has a nice scoring record this season but he's been playing at the top level for half of a season. He's also had some injury concerns in his short career, but more importantly he has assaulted teammates and members of the public and loves the nightlife. How Liverpool could spend so much money for an immature and unproven commodity is beyond me.

There may be good reasons for both transfer fees (apart from the fact that, my opinion, English clubs generally overspend on transfers):

1. From 2011/2012 on (or a year later), UEFA's financial fair play rules will exclude all clubs from European competitions, which, roughly speaking, do not break even, i.e. transfers can't be financed by sugar daddies alone. If you want to spend big, you'll have to make big money, too. This is why clubs like Manchester City are spending like idiots at the moment - they'll have to make the big, money-losing transfers now. Could be the same for Chelsea. (Btw, Torres can be great, but best centre forward in the world? Naaah.)

2. Similarly, the English FA will introduce a so-called 'homegrown' rule, according to which a squad must contain a minimum number of players, who are eligible for England or who have come through the youth system of English clubs. Also, there are limitations on squad sizes (this might be a UEFA rule, though). This will make 'homegrown' players all the more expensive.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 am
After signing Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, Liverpool now have Lou and Andy up front. Yeah I know.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 am
Alex wrote:
After signing Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, Liverpool now have Lou and Andy up front. Yeah I know.

Unless the play Suarez in goal, that is. I hear he's quite a shot stopper. ;)

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 am

We were linked with Torres a little while ago, so it's a slight shame he's gone to Chelsea. Though when you've got Berbatov and hernandez who are in such good form and Rooney who's getting his game back, there would be no need for Torres. Chelsea are clearly desperate to get something out of this season as it's been pretty poor so far. Is Torres able to play in the Champions League? He's only played in the Europa League with Liverpool. If so, he could prove a fantastic purchase come the back-end of the season. If he stays injury free, he'll be taking over Drogba's role very soon.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal all won last night. Our unbeaten run is still in good shape and our performances (including comebacks) are looking good. Ryan Giggs has been sensational this season.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next