Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Author Message
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
I think it contravenes EU laws but Sepp Blatter said it could be adopted as a kind of gentleman's agreement by sides. I think there's merit in the idea but it'll be difficult to enforce, especially if a side has a chronic injury list and have to promote a teenager from the academy ahead of an experienced foreign player.


Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:40 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
aameen wrote:
talking about natives in leading teams, what does everyone else think about this "6+5" thing? isnt it supposed to be illegal? cuz its a straight discrimination towards international labor or something.
leaving the legality aside, will it be actually good for the national sides?


EU law stipulates the free movement of workers, i.e. any national of a EU Member State may seek employment and work in any other Member State (there are a few exceptions). The so-called 6+5 rule would require any professional football (soccer) team to field at least 6 players which are eligible for the respective national side of the league the team is playing in. This might exclude EU nationals from seeking employment (i.e. playing) in teams situated in other Member States. Example: Thierry Henry (French) wants to return to Arsenal (English club), but can't play because Arsenal already have five players on their team which are ineligible for England.
FIFA and UEFA are currently lobbying at the EU parliament and the European Commission to enact a waiver of the free movement of workers for specific areas like culture and sports.

The major professional football leagues (English Premier League, Primera Division, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1) and particularly the big clubs (the former G14 clubs) oppose the introduction of the 6 + 5 rule. This is true particularly in the case of the English clubs (and more particularly the "top 4"), because - if I may be cynical - they have way more money than the others and can buy the best players from all over the world. (And they would never win any penalty shootouts with English players. ;) I'm sorry). Rob will be able to tell you that Arsenal rarely field any English players at all (Walcott is usually benched).

The "official" idea behind the 6+5 rule is to strengthen the development of home grown talent and, consequently, the respective national sides. There are good arguments to support this (more chances for young players to play at all) but also valid arguments against it (influx of forein players raises the bar against which homegrown talent is measured). I think it might work, based on the observation that more young German players came through the academies after the bankruptcy of a pay TV channel forced cutbacks at German clubs, which then could not buy as many quality foreign players.


Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Hi there

There is obviously much discussion about this within Europe at the moment and specifically the UK.

What we have seen in the Premier League is a steady erosion of opportunity as the world's elite have flocked to a league stuffed with cash to spend.

I have to admit that as an Arsenal supporter I love the performance but feel uncomfortable that it is Arsenal in name only. I miss the days when players had a little loyalty towards their clubs. But it just makes the point that it is no longer really a sport, it's a business. Arsenal are frequently on the field with no British players. However, I'm hopeful that a couple (pathetic really) can become regulars.

The sad reality in the Premier league is that each season for the last 15 years or so there have been 4 teams trying to win it and 16 trying to avoid getting thrown out. The problems are ultimately driven by unlimited funds being available to buy and pay footballers. Manchester City being the most striking recent example. If anyone is interested in the development of an interesting league with real competition, some changes need to be made.

Aston Villa will be quoted as an exception to the rule. However, come the end of this season they are at real risk of losing 2/3 key players if they don't qualify for the Champions league and Martin O'Neal's efforts will have been broken.

Rob


Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
rob, i think you've got it spot on about how the only loyalty these days in football comes from the stands. but, i think the whole money thing is always overreacted to. of course its a business. liverpool were formed because of business. doesn't change the roar of the kop. everything is a business.

and the foriegn owners are given a lot of crap about ruining football. manchester city are about to pay 60-90 million for villa this summer, does that ruin football? no it keeps valencia alive in an economic crisis (they owe 450m) by using oil money and they, city, realize villa doesn't fit into their system. i used to see it the same way as everybody else when chelsea came out with the big bucks. but i realized, players didn't go to chelsea to get rich, they did because chelsea were in the champions league.

and money cant buy trophies contrary to popular beliefs. it helps. but on the whole its nothing.
its the same reason why the arabs' millions are going to "ruin football" but the glazers' millions are not. and exactly why city wont win the league and united will.

torres said it in an interview which is just perfect. he said no player looks back on his career and says i made a lot of money, they want trophies. medals. and that is good for football. thats why the kaka transfer didn't go through. and as long as that stands, as long as their's torres' showing the backs of their shirts to stunned real madrid fans, as long as passion remains in the game, i dont think there will be anything worth worrying about.

Robert Holloway wrote:
The sad reality in the Premier league is that each season for the last 15 years or so there have been 4 teams trying to win it and 16 trying to avoid getting thrown out.
Rob


yeah, man united have dominated the premier league and liverpool did it before, but the same is true for lyon with 7 consecutive trophies, inter are going on 4, real madrid have been dominating since the 60's. i think the focus of all this critisism is england because there's more money in england in football. for the clubs and the media.

and dont forget those 4 teams change every 5 years. blackburn, newcastle, leeds all had their days at the top. and aston villa is about to.

esecially this season, i think its more competitive. teams seem to know how to deal with the big ones.


Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:03 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
I think the 6+5 rule is totally ridiculous. I hope it fails. What is driving this? Xenophobia? I don't buy into the argument that foreign talent hurts domestic players. If it has any result on domestic players at all I think it strengthens them by forcing them to play at a higher standard.

Arsenal may not have that many English players in their starting lineup, but they have an extraordinary amount of young British talent at the club. Wenger doesn't like to spend and he's already been burnt by spending extra for English players (Francis Jeffers) who haven't amounted to much.

As for Premiership clubs having more foreigners than other leagues, have a look at the Seria A champs Inter Milan's players for the Manchester game. Two Italians were in the starting lineup: Mario Balotelli (who incidentally could have been a Ghanaian International) and Davide Santon. Before this season I'm sure few knew the former and no-one knew of the latter.

Aameen, I share your thoughts on Man City. Most people are saying they'll ruin the game. How? By injecting money into the sport? Most clubs could use some cash now.


Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
[apologies for the following rant]

@aameen and ed_metal_head,

I disagree, although I will readily admit that the issue of "whether money ruins football" (to phrase it as a tabloid headline) can be discussed endlessly.

aameen wrote:
liverpool were formed because of business. doesn't change the roar of the kop.


Doesn't it? The wider issue here are modern all seater stadiums with VIP boxes, which are essential to creating more income on matchdays. My personal experience is that the atmosphere in these stadiums is relatively subdued in comparison to what it was before. A large number of football fans share this view. To stay with the English Premier League: Journalists as well as Arsenal supporters have noted that the atmosphere at the Emirates is worse than at Highbury. Note that Liverpool intend to move to a new stadium as well (or did until the economic crash).

aameen wrote:
and the foriegn owners are given a lot of crap about ruining football. manchester city are about to pay 60-90 million for villa this summer, does that ruin football? no it keeps valencia alive in an economic crisis (they owe 450m) by using oil money and they, city, realize villa doesn't fit into their system. i used to see it the same way as everybody else when chelsea came out with the big bucks. but i realized, players didn't go to chelsea to get rich, they did because chelsea were in the champions league.


In my opinion, the foreign owners of premier league clubs aren't the problem. However, you are wrong in stating that football players move to other clubs for the prospect to win trophies without taing money into account. How else do you explain that Brazilian international Robinho, who had already finalised a deal with Chelsea, chose to move to Man City, who are struggling to qualify for the UEFA cup? Or why did Dutch international Nigel De Jong move to City in the winter, when he had a good chance of winning the German Bundeliga with Hamburg? Also, did you know that the Kaka deal fell through when City's director didn't answer Kaka's father's (and agent's) question "So how much is in it for us" but rather talked at length about the merchandising opportunities etc.? (City's director isn't a "football man" but a former Nike marketing executive).

By the way: Valencia won't be saved by selling Villa - they are on the brink of bankruptcy at the moment and haven't paid their players for weeks. The amount of transfer sums they might possibly make in the summer is not sufficient to cover their debt.

aameen wrote:
yeah, man united have dominated the premier league and liverpool did it before, but the same is true for lyon with 7 consecutive trophies, inter are going on 4, real madrid have been dominating since the 60's. i think the focus of all this critisism is england because there's more money in england in football. for the clubs and the media.

and dont forget those 4 teams change every 5 years. blackburn, newcastle, leeds all had their days at the top. and aston villa is about to.


The latter argument doesn't hold water. For the last ten seasons, only 4 times (out of 38) did a club outside of the top 4 (ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) qualify for the Champions League. Leeds (third in 98/99) spent so much money in order to achive this that they went into administration after failing to repeat this feat. For the past five years, the very same teams occupied the top 4 places in the Premier League. Aston Villa are currently three points (i.e. one win) ahead of Arsenal with 10 games remaining and are losing steam - if the pundits I listen to are to be believed.

The problem as I see it is the Champions League itself. It perpetuates the dominance of the clubs, which regularly qualify for the Champions League, in their respective national leagues. Cf. the top 4 in England, Bayern München, Olympique Lyon. You are correct in stating that some clubs have managed to dominate leagues befor the introduction of the Champions League, but the situation has become static now. Can you imagine clubs like Derby County or Nottingham Forest or the modern equivalent winning anything anymore?

Internazionale currently dominate the Serie A as a result of the match fixing scandal (calciopoli), which removed their challengers Juventus and Milan from the equation. 2 of their 4 recent titles were actually won by Inter because Juventus were stripped of the Scudetto.

I would strongly advise you not to repeat your statement, that Real Madrid dominate La Liga since the 60ies, in Catalunya!

ed_metal_head wrote:
As for Premiership clubs having more foreigners than other leagues, have a look at the Seria A champs Inter Milan's players for the Manchester game. Two Italians were in the starting lineup: Mario Balotelli (who incidentally could have been a Ghanaian International) and Davide Santon. Before this season I'm sure few knew the former and no-one knew of the latter.


The percentage of foreign player in the Premier League is much higher than anywhere else. Picking just one club from Italy (incidentally one which is renowned for fielding only a few Italian players) isn't representative. 2 Italians in Inter's staring line-up is more than 0 or 1 Englishman in the Arsenal lie-up, isn't it? Also, if you compare the staring line up of Roma, Juventus and Inter against the starting lineups of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool, you will find that the Italian teams field more Italians than the ENglish teams field Englishmen.

Hey, we should have this discussion over a pint of beer, shouldn't we?


Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:55 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Unke wrote:
The latter argument doesn't hold water. For the last ten seasons, only 4 times (out of 38) did a club outside of the top 4 (ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) qualify for the Champions League. Leeds (third in 98/99) spent so much money in order to achive this that they went into administration after failing to repeat this feat. For the past five years, the very same teams occupied the top 4 places in the Premier League. Aston Villa are currently three points (i.e. one win) ahead of Arsenal with 10 games remaining and are losing steam - if the pundits I listen to are to be believed.


of course dude, i wasn't saying that the whole "top 4" thing is non existent, but rather that it can be breached. so its not a set in stone thing as it is put up to be. of course there is an obvious dominance. also, what i was trying to say was, hasn't it always been that way? 4-5 teams looking to win, everyone else just getting the best they can? isn't that true in every competition?


Unke wrote:
The problem as I see it is the Champions League itself. It perpetuates the dominance of the clubs, which regularly qualify for the Champions League, in their respective national leagues. Cf. the top 4 in England, Bayern München, Olympique Lyon. You are correct in stating that some clubs have managed to dominate leagues befor the introduction of the Champions League, but the situation has become static now. Can you imagine clubs like Derby County or Nottingham Forest or the modern equivalent winning anything anymore?

good observation. the tv deals for the champions league are the major reason it has the same configuration every year. and no, derby county wont be winning anything any soon.


Unke wrote:
Internazionale currently dominate the Serie A as a result of the match fixing scandal (calciopoli), which removed their challengers Juventus and Milan from the equation. 2 of their 4 recent titles were actually won by Inter because Juventus were stripped of the Scudetto.

yeah, that still makes em champions doesn't it? not just in a statistics sense but in the footballing sense as well. they got the most points out of the teams that did not cheat. once the cheaters are relegated, it does leave a fair competition.

Unke wrote:
aameen wrote:
liverpool were formed because of business. doesn't change the roar of the kop.


Doesn't it? The wider issue here are modern all seater stadiums with VIP boxes, which are essential to creating more income on matchdays. My personal experience is that the atmosphere in these stadiums is relatively subdued in comparison to what it was before. A large number of football fans share this view. To stay with the English Premier League: Journalists as well as Arsenal supporters have noted that the atmosphere at the Emirates is worse than at Highbury. Note that Liverpool intend to move to a new stadium as well (or did until the economic crash).


i wasn't saying roar of the kop in a literal sense but rather as a metaphor for the passion of the fans for that club. no, not a metaphor, a synecdoche.(am i using it right, i dont think so, been waiting to use it for months. :D ) so what i was saying was, as we all know that football is a business, it still doesn't diminish our passion for it. sure, the stadia aren't that great, but the result of that increased money is better football isn't it? especially, in the arsenal case.

Unke wrote:
In my opinion, the foreign owners of premier league clubs aren't the problem. However, you are wrong in stating that football players move to other clubs for the prospect to win trophies without taing money into account. How else do you explain that Brazilian international Robinho, who had already finalised a deal with Chelsea, chose to move to Man City, who are struggling to qualify for the UEFA cup? Or why did Dutch international Nigel De Jong move to City in the winter, when he had a good chance of winning the German Bundeliga with Hamburg? Also, did you know that the Kaka deal fell through when City's director didn't answer Kaka's father's (and agent's) question "So how much is in it for us" but rather talked at length about the merchandising opportunities etc.? (City's director isn't a "football man" but a former Nike marketing executive).


come on brother, you cant list a few bad eggs...you cant do that,dude. :) ok, ill just list a few good ones..berbatov - tottenham accepted man city's bid first ,he declined. torres took a pay cut to come to liverpool. villa doesn't wanna leave valencia and if he has to, he wants to stay in spain. - his agent just said today that he wont go overseas, for any amount of money.
:lol:

but seriously, i really didn't know that about the kaka thing you mentioned. hmm.. i'd been thinking he did it cuz he wasn't impressed by what he saw in man city and their training facilities. not many people will if they've been to ac milan's. bit disappointed, actually.

Unke wrote:
By the way: Valencia won't be saved by selling Villa - they are on the brink of bankruptcy at the moment and haven't paid their players for weeks. The amount of transfer sums they might possibly make in the summer is not sufficient to cover their debt.


i think they will, their immediate concerns are just 75m that they have to give in june. villa and silva both can easily fetch that. if real madrid and man city do the buying. if not, throw another one in there. after that i think if they can get a few investors coming in, they might just make it. i think selling their stadium would do them good, sure itll split their income from tickets, but they dont have much options here. if they avoid relegation next season, i think they wont be another leeds. here's where a youth academy comes in super handy.


i think this is just getting too long, dont you? haha.
Unke wrote:
Hey, we should have this discussion over a pint of beer, shouldn't we?
i dont drink alcohol actually, never tried to be honest. :ugeek: but you know what?? a wiser sentence never said, brother.

ok, im gonna start something new, the quarter final draw..... :)

what team do you support and what do or dont you want them to face. and basic predictions. i believe one Mr.Holloway has already revealed his fears.

im a liverpool supporter. and sure the biggest draw would be good, but i really want to see barca in the final, so this is it:

barca - man united
liverpool - bayern.
arsenal - porto
villareal - chelsea

this is what im going for, baby.


Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Atmosphere at Emirates is nothing like Highbury :-( many say that!

I'm hoping for anyone except Barca, Man Utd or Liverpool.

But the reality is that if you're going to win it, you have to be able to beat these teams. I'll just hope that liverpool get Barca and Chesea get Man Utd :-) Two less to deal with!

Rob


Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
aameen wrote:
Unke wrote:
Hey, we should have this discussion over a pint of beer, shouldn't we?
i dont drink alcohol actually, never tried to be honest. :ugeek: but you know what?? a wiser sentence never said, brother.

All the better, more beer for me :D

aameen wrote:
the quarter final draw..... :)

what team do you support and what do or dont you want them to face. and basic predictions. i believe one Mr.Holloway has already revealed his fears.


My team (FC St. Pauli, 2nd German league) never has and never will win anything or even play for European glory, so I'm neutral when it comes to the Champions League. I would like it if the draw would pair teams from different countries, although this would make an all-English semifinal more likely. On paper, Villareal an Oporto look like the weakest teams with Barcelona, Man United and Liverpool the strongest.


Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:20 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
this is what you call photography: http://www.kickette.com/images/uploads/mar11iker1.jpg

anyway, i want man united to go through to the semis as that will screw their calender. they they can hit barca or arsenal and lose. yess... that will be awesome.
meanwhile the other semi, we all know it will be this
chelsea-liverpool.
its kinda scheduled, isn't it? i can just feel the world wide groan when this tie is announced. "here we go again...."


Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:18 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
I'm supporting Bayern. I just hope they have some goals left in them after dominating Sporting. Doesn't matter who they play, but I'd prefer if it wasn't Arsenal. I have a soft spot for the Gunners and the way they play. Actually, I'd love to see a Arsenal/Barcelona tie. Should be a treat to watch.

Unke is pretty passionate, which is not surprising since he is a St. Pauli fan ;) . I'm glad though, even if we don't all agree it's a lot of fun talking about these things.

Unke, did you get a chance to see an games for WC 06? I was lucky enough to see three games. It was a really wonderful experience.


Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:40 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
ed_metal_head wrote:
Unke, did you get a chance to see an games for WC 06? I was lucky enough to see three games. It was a really wonderful experience.


I could've bought tickets from a lot of touts for the Italy - Ukraine quarter final but wasn't really interested in that particular match (which proved to be a bore). Othetwise, I kept to the public viewing areas


Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:33 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
in video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKR5s9QXiZI

if you dont have 10 minutes, here's some text.

holy shit!
manchester just got handed a place in the final!!


Quater final draw 2008/09


1. Villarreal ------------- Arsenal

2. Manchester United ------------- Porto

3. Liverpool------------- Chelsea

4. Barcelona------------- Bayern



Semi Finals

Match 2 Winner------------- Match 1 Winner
Match 4 Winner------------- Match 3 Winner


needless to say, its hot.



Villarreal - Arsenal ----- arsenal fans will have all guns blazing for this one, as the injury list shortens, which they haven't had for over a year. while Villarreal have mountains to climb before they see even a hint of gold.

Man Utd - Porto ---- the mother of all rematches. this is just...united looking for a cruise to he final, as fate has dealt them a flush. porto hoping to repeat the shock old trafford received 4 years back. without jose running up the pitch, that is.

united looking at a relatively easy course to the final, but as we saw on Saturday all it takes is a team with determination and a bad day.



on the flip side.

liverpool - chelsea --- what did i tell you??? huh?? lets all groan..... NOT so fast. liverpool in thundering form. chelsea? with some russian elixir. there will be goals. by god, there will be goals. and i will go to tara....

bayern - barca ----- a mouth watering affair. the team of the season takes on the team that made sporting look like a high school team. ohhh....the magic shall flow.

all 4 looking for a place in the final.


so.............


Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:40 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
aameen wrote:
in video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKR5s9QXiZI

holy shit!
manchester just got handed a place in the final!!

1. Villarreal ------------- Arsenal
2. Manchester United ------------- Porto
3. Liverpool------------- Chelsea
4. Barcelona------------- Bayern
.



Hmm, as an Arsenal fan I'd have to say that this is a great draw for us. the only team I fear in this competition is Liverpool.

The great news is that by mid April the whole squad is back and had matches to get sharp. There are no easy draws at this stage but Villareal looks like the kindest fixture we could have hoped for. If we can't get past them we don't deserve to be there anyway.

I'm confident that Man Utd will deal with Porto. Trust me, Sir Alex will not relish a fully fit Arsenal. That's a hard game to call. I won't jump ahead until we've see the first games through.

The best fixtures are next though.

Liverpool Chelsea is a wonderful clash. I have to go for Liverpool on current form as long as Gerrard and Torres are fit and on form. I don't understand why this competition makes this team so strong? I'm not as as enamored with Guus powered Chelsea as others seem to be.

I'm impressed by Bayern, but Barca is a in a different class to previous opponents. I'll go for Barca on this one but it will be close.

Liverpool / Barcelona is an epic semi final if it happens.

What a great tournament!
Rob


Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:23 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Robert Holloway wrote:
aameen wrote:
in video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKR5s9QXiZI

holy shit!
manchester just got handed a place in the final!!

1. Villarreal ------------- Arsenal
2. Manchester United ------------- Porto
3. Liverpool------------- Chelsea
4. Barcelona------------- Bayern
.



Hmm, as an Arsenal fan I'd have to say that this is a great draw for us. the only team I fear in this competition is Liverpool.

The great news is that by mid April the whole squad is back and had matches to get sharp. There are no easy draws at this stage but Villareal looks like the kindest fixture we could have hoped for and the first game is away from home as well. If we can't get past them we don't deserve to be there anyway.

I'm confident that Man Utd will deal with Porto. Trust me, Sir Alex will not relish a fully fit Arsenal. That's a hard game to call. I won't jump ahead until we've see the first games through.

The best fixtures are next though.

Liverpool Chelsea is a wonderful clash. I have to go for Liverpool on current form as long as Gerrard and Torres are fit and on form. I don't understand why this competition makes this team so strong? I'm not as as enamored with Guus powered Chelsea as others seem to be.

I'm impressed by Bayern, but Barca is a in a different class to previous opponents. I'll go for Barca on this one but it will be close.

Liverpool / Barcelona is an epic semi final if it happens.

What a great tournament!
Rob


Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:23 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Do not underestimate el submarino amarillo! Marcos Senna was Spain's best player at Euro 2008. If I remember it correctly, last time Arsenal played the yellow submarine in the Champions League it was decided on penalties, wasn't it?


Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
aameen wrote:
Quater final draw 2008/09
1. Villarreal ------------- Arsenal
2. Manchester United ------------- Porto
3. Liverpool------------- Chelsea
4. Barcelona------------- Bayern


It does seem that Man U got an easy draw...at least on paper. The great thing about these games is that anything can really happen. As for my predictions... (I think I've been 100% right so far, no?)

I like Arsenal's chances. With guys like Cesc and Adebayor coming back, I think Arsenal is a side no-one will want to face this late in the season.

Porto did knock Man United out a couple seasons ago, but they're both very different sides. I think United should breeze past Porto unless they make Hulk angry :mrgreen:

I'm not sure that there will be many goals in Reds v Blues. There's a good chance that this tie can be decided by a single goal that may or may not cross the goal line...wait...I think that already happened :lol: Anywho, I pick Liverpool on penalties.

Bayern/Barca is an easy call...FC Hollywood will rout the Barca boys :)


Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 pm
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
Interesting draw for the Quarter and then semi-finals.

Villarreal Vs Arsenal - will be tight, but I think Arsenal will just get through.

Man Utd Vs Porto - can't see anything other than Man Utd to progress.

Liverpool Vs Chelsea - really tough one to call. Could go either way. Going out a limb...Chelsea to sneak it.

Barca Vs Bayern - should be an interesting tie but the Catalans should have too much for Munich.

Team to win the tournament: Either Man Utd, Barca, or Chelsea. It's difficult to call though.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 am
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
damn, i forgot to add my predictions. :D

Villarreal Vs Arsenal - villareal can be a tough opponent. im going for arsenal.

Man Utd Vs Porto - sadly, united could win this with one arm tied behind their backs.

Liverpool Vs Chelsea - if present form is anything to go by... haha. chelsea will be drowning. by the time the first leg is over, they'll be resting players for the bridge.

Barca Vs Bayern - ohh...i wanna see barca no doubt, but bayern will be an easier opponent for liverpool, but hey - Barca it is.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Post Re: UEFA Champions League
My predictions:

Villareal vs Arsenal - tough call, both are underdog teams but I will give it to Arsenal to win this.

Man Utd vs Porto - theoretically, Man Utd should cruise through. But given sudden drop of form coming off a back-to-back losses to Liverpool and Fulham, Man Utd needs to get their groove back first.

Chelsea vs Liverpool - Liverpool is on fire. The Rafa Benitez contract has been sorted out and that eliminates a lot of drama that might distract the team. Advantage to Liverpool.

Barcelona vs Bayern - with respect to Bayern, but Barcelona is also another team on fire and they should nail this one.


Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr