Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:03 am

Mass Effect fans? 
Cinematographer

Post Mass Effect fans?
I can't be the only one here who plays these games. Who's else excited for March 6th?

I've got two Shepards ready to go, although I'm replaying the suicide mission on one of them so that no one dies. The first time I went through it I lost Mordin, and I just can't imagine playing through Mass Effect 3 without him.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Mass Effect fans?
Oh thank God someone finally made a thread about this game.

I've only ever created one character in Mass Effect. That is my fully-Paragon male Shepard. This guy is the hero of heroes with a heart of gold. I already had the perfect playthrough in ME1 where I earned the Completionist achievement as well. I am currently taking him through my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 to prepare the perfect savegame for the third game. Until the trilogy is complete, I cannot imagine playing as any other Shepard. I've tried a few other playthroughs but none of females were hot enough and I cannot create another male until Wayne Shepard's story is completely told.

As for ME2, I still have a lot to playthrough and I am playing on Insanity as well which is making things more difficult. The first time around I romanced Miranda (man she has some crazy shit going for her) but I am sticking with Ashley this time (though she acts like a bitch on Horizon) for that perfect save. I still have every loyalty mission to complete and I am cleaning up all the sidequests like crazy this time around, so I expect to be at it for the next two weeks.

Which is right on time for Mass Effect 3. The regular version is already up for pre-order here but I am holding out for what will be my first (and probably my last) Collector's Edition because man this game comes packed with goodies in the N7 Edition.

The one aspect you have to adore is how they basically took everything that was good about the first game and multiplied it by a billion while removing everything that was not so good. Mass Effect 2 is probably one of the most perfect games I've ever played. I haven't seen a lot of videos of Mass Effect 3 for fear of contaminating that perfect experience but I expect the same from Bioware again. Those guys are probably the best, at least my favorite, development studio around, probably only matched by Blizzard (who are PC-only) and Valve (when was the last time they made a game again?).

Yeah, that's about it. I fricking love this series. When the trilogy is complete, it will rank as one of the greatest science-fiction worlds of our time right alongside Star Wars and Star Trek. It is the one game I shove in anybody's face who is ignorant enough to call videogames disposable entertainment.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Played the first game and loved, haven't gotten around to part 2 yet. I used a female Shepard with mostly Paragon traits(though I used the occasional Renegade option)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 pm
Cinematographer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Oh thank God someone finally made a thread about this game.

I've only ever created one character in Mass Effect. That is my fully-Paragon male Shepard. This guy is the hero of heroes with a heart of gold. I already had the perfect playthrough in ME1 where I earned the Completionist achievement as well. I am currently taking him through my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 to prepare the perfect savegame for the third game. Until the trilogy is complete, I cannot imagine playing as any other Shepard. I've tried a few other playthroughs but none of females were hot enough and I cannot create another male until Wayne Shepard's story is completely told.

As for ME2, I still have a lot to playthrough and I am playing on Insanity as well which is making things more difficult. The first time around I romanced Miranda (man she has some crazy shit going for her) but I am sticking with Ashley this time (though she acts like a bitch on Horizon) for that perfect save. I still have every loyalty mission to complete and I am cleaning up all the sidequests like crazy this time around, so I expect to be at it for the next two weeks.

Which is right on time for Mass Effect 3. The regular version is already up for pre-order here but I am holding out for what will be my first (and probably my last) Collector's Edition because man this game comes packed with goodies in the N7 Edition.

The one aspect you have to adore is how they basically took everything that was good about the first game and multiplied it by a billion while removing everything that was not so good. Mass Effect 2 is probably one of the most perfect games I've ever played. I haven't seen a lot of videos of Mass Effect 3 for fear of contaminating that perfect experience but I expect the same from Bioware again. Those guys are probably the best, at least my favorite, development studio around, probably only matched by Blizzard (who are PC-only) and Valve (when was the last time they made a game again?).

Yeah, that's about it. I fricking love this series. When the trilogy is complete, it will rank as one of the greatest science-fiction worlds of our time right alongside Star Wars and Star Trek. It is the one game I shove in anybody's face who is ignorant enough to call videogames disposable entertainment.

I'm so happy someone is into this series as much as I am.

I played my first female Shepard through Mass Effect 2, instantly fell in love with the game, and then went back and played the first with basically the same character. Then I used that character to replay ME2, and now I'm just finishing up some of the DLC. She's my renegade. It feels so awesome to be a total bitch to people, especially knowing that its the least common way of playing through the game. I much prefer using the female Shepard, I think the voice acting is infinitely better. That and you get to fuck Garrus.

List of people my Shepards have banged: Kaiden (I know, I know...), Liara, Miranda, Garrus, and Thane.

Bioware is mos def one of my favorite developers too. I haven't played through Dragon Age, but the ME series is enough for me to idolize them.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35 pm
Bioware also did a pretty good job with Sonic Chronicles.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
I'm so happy someone is into this series as much as I am.

I played my first female Shepard through Mass Effect 2, instantly fell in love with the game, and then went back and played the first with basically the same character. Then I used that character to replay ME2, and now I'm just finishing up some of the DLC. She's my renegade. It feels so awesome to be a total bitch to people, especially knowing that its the least common way of playing through the game. I much prefer using the female Shepard, I think the voice acting is infinitely better. That and you get to fuck Garrus.

List of people my Shepards have banged: Kaiden (I know, I know...), Liara, Miranda, Garrus, and Thane.

Bioware is mos def one of my favorite developers too. I haven't played through Dragon Age, but the ME series is enough for me to idolize them.

Count me among those who are fans of ME and Bioware, though I've only played the 2nd one. I did play that one to death, though, as I finished it with full Paragon and full Renegade as well as run through all the classes. Favorite shipmate? Miranda, easily. Yvonne Strahovski is hot as is, but make her hair black and stick her into a tight bodysuit to make her into a @#%@## goddess.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
The one aspect you have to adore is how they basically took everything that was good about the first game and multiplied it by a billion while removing everything that was not so good. Mass Effect 2 is probably one of the most perfect games I've ever played. I haven't seen a lot of videos of Mass Effect 3 for fear of contaminating that perfect experience but I expect the same from Bioware again. Those guys are probably the best, at least my favorite, development studio around, probably only matched by Blizzard (who are PC-only) and Valve (when was the last time they made a game again?

Agree with all this. I played through Mass Effect 1 when it first came out, and couldn't get into it. The potential was there, but it was a game bogged down in graphical glitches, uninspired combat, and terrible vehicle missions. I held off on purchasing Mass Effect 2 because of this, so I was surprised when I eventually got around to playing it how drastic of an improvement it was from the first game. I've played through it a couple times now, and each time I was completely engrossed in the entire experience. It's certainly one of the best games I've played in the past few years.

I haven't been following much of the hype around Mass Effect 3, so I was a little surprised to discover it comes out next week! I don't know if I'll be picking it up on Day 1, but I'm sure it will just be a matter of time.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
The potential was there, but it was a game bogged down in graphical glitches, uninspired combat, and terrible vehicle missions.

Not to mention the elevator sequences.

Also, it has been really hard avoiding hearing about ME3. I had to stop myself from downloading the demo. I want my ME3 experience to be complete and unspoiled.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Favorite shipmate? Miranda, easily. Yvonne Strahovski is hot as is, but make her hair black and stick her into a tight bodysuit to make her into a @#%@## goddess.
God, I cannot tell you how difficult it was for me to ignore Miranda this time around. As I said, the first time around in ME2, I banged her. She basically comes onto you after her loyalty mission and I denied the advances. It was at the time I had just received "that" mail from Ashley after Horizon where she basically tells you she cannot lose you a second time (I think this only happens if she was your romance in ME1) and I went all warm-hearted after that. Basically, if you choose Miranda (and you'd be a fool like me if you don't), then you bang her before the suicide mission. Otherwise you look longingly at the photo of Ash in your cabin before you leave. Since I want Wayne Shepard's story to be told in its entirety properly, I am ignoring Miranda for the moment.

Vexer wrote:
Played the first game and loved, haven't gotten around to part 2 yet. I used a female Shepard with mostly Paragon traits(though I used the occasional Renegade option)
There have been times when I've been given Renegade points for God knows what. That frustrates me at times. On Illium, I recruited Samara and gave some info to the cop on duty there which implicates the local smuggler and I got some renegade points on that. There have been a few times where I've chosen the option to make some battles easier (like killing the dude repairing the ship in the Archangel mission) but this is mostly the whitest of white Shepard that I am creating ATM.

darthyoshi wrote:
I would highly recommend Dragon Age as well especially if you are PC gamer (I am PC-exclusive). The console versions are also pretty awesome I heard but those are probably RPGs made specifically for the PC, at least the first one is. It depends on whether you enjoy the fantasy setting since it borrows a lot from LOTR and Song of Fire and Ice. DA1 is more like a D&D game and the experience isn't as linked to the "character" as in ME. It is definitely a gameplay-oriented game though the story is pretty enjoyable. DA2 is basically a more console-oriented experience and similar to ME in many ways in terms of creating a unique character and telling his/her story. Still, the overall Dragon Age experience isn't about creating a unique character like the Mass Effect games since you play different people in the first and second one. But it is a pretty singular story and ending of the second game sets up for the third one nicely.

darthyoshi wrote:
Not to mention the elevator sequences.

Also, it has been really hard avoiding hearing about ME3. I had to stop myself from downloading the demo. I want my ME3 experience to be complete and unspoiled.
The elevator sequences always remind me of this Penny Arcade comic at the time. It never fails to crack me up.

As for the demo, I agree with you that I want the unspoiled experience as well. I basically looked at 30 secs of a small video of someone playing the demo on YT and got pissed off at myself even after that. I've kept up with the game in terms of how the gameplay is evolving and how the MP will play and all that. But I have completely shunned myself in all other respects. God, I cannot wait for this game. Bioware better not mess with us this time around as I want the perfect closure to this one. They are pulling in about 1000 variables from the first two games (most notably, I have a feeling the Rachni decision from the first game will be an important decision) and I have faith in them. But I cannot shake off that feeling of excitement. The last time I felt this excited was for the release of The Deathly Hallows book.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I'm really excited to see how ME3 turns out not just because I am a fan of the ME series, but also because of when it is coming out. If ME3 had come out in late 2011 when it was supposed to, it would be directly competing with Skyrim. I think the main reason why it was postponed was so that this wouldn't be the case. The only comparisons people will make between ME3 and Skyrim will be in terms of the amount of content offered and the ability to draw you in. The first of these we have yet to see, but the second I think won't be a problem... after playing through the brilliant yet uncaring world that is Skyrim, I think gamers will be happy to play through a world that actually reacts to their actions and decisions. This shouldn't be a problem provided that there has been a graphics upgrade since 2010.

I just pre-ordered ME3 on Origin. Feels a bit like selling out. I was prepared to just download ME3 through other means, but it's important to me for it to be glitch free and complete. Fucking EA. Anyone have experience with Origin?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 am
Second Unit Director

Origin is decent enough. I used it BF3 and am using it right now for Kingdoms of Amalur. It works pretty much like Steam. You can either download the game through Origin or install it from a boxed-DVD. Once a game is registered, it resides on your Origin account and you can download it any time you want. I haven't had any bad experience with it so far which is good news considering it is from EA. Obviously, it isn't anywhere near as streamlined a platform as Steam is but that goes without saying.

As for Skyrim, I agree with you that EA and Bioware probably preferred not to release it alongside that one. Most people I know are just now being done with Skyrim. I am currently going through it but am nowhere near exploring it as much as it deserves. The game is still Bethesda through and through but some aspects of the plot/character interaction felt a bit like they had taken from Bioware to me which isn't a bad thing per se. Skyrim is still the game to beat as far as open-ended RPGs that offer diverse amounts of gameplay go. But Mass Effect cannot be beat in terms of storyline, plot progression, and character interaction. They're both entirely different kinds of RPGs that I love to play equally.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 am
Profile WWW
I'm probably one of the few people in existence who couldn't care less about the Elder Scrolls series, so I have zero interest in Skyrim.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I'm probably one of the few people in existence who couldn't care less about the Elder Scrolls series, so I have zero interest in Skyrim.

Before it came out, I agreed with you. I hadn't played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, but I had played some of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I didn't make it very far in either game, as everything looked like shit and I hated the gameplay engine. I downloaded Skyrim for fun when I was bored one night, and I'm happy I did. It's by far the best game I've played that makes you feel a part of the world. You should check it out, you might be surprised.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Before it came out, I agreed with you. I hadn't played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, but I had played some of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I didn't make it very far in either game, as everything looked like shit and I hated the gameplay engine. I downloaded Skyrim for fun when I was bored one night, and I'm happy I did. It's by far the best game I've played that makes you feel a part of the world. You should check it out, you might be surprised.

Eh i'll pass, aside from the ME series, i'm not really that big on RPGs(or fantasy themed games for that matter) they're just usually too much of a time-commitment. Also I don't buy games unless i'm sure i'm actually going to enjoy them, and Skyrim just dosen't look very appealing to me. Though one RPG I did enjoy was Alpha Protocol which was highly underrated.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 pm
Vexer wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Eh i'll pass, aside from the ME series, i'm not really that big on RPGs(or fantasy themed games for that matter) they're just usually too much of a time-commitment. Also I don't buy games unless i'm sure i'm actually going to enjoy them, and Skyrim just dosen't look very appealing to me. Though one RPG I did enjoy was Alpha Protocol which was highly underrated.

You know what's really underrated? Lord of the Rings.

Sorry, I had to.

P.S. - Mass Effect 3 will be amazing, but as a franchise, Elder Scrolls kicks it in the shins. If the mere fact that Bethesda will be overwhelming their Skyrim faithful with DLC chestnuts for years and years isn't good enough, then just take comfort in knowing that, like always, they take the most pride of anyone in a job well done. This horse has armor.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Mass Effect 3 Official Launch Trailer

Be sure to have a pack of Kleenex handy before opening the trailer fellas. This shit just got real.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Ok. Today I'm going to get all of my work done until Thursday. I'm going to start playing at midnight. Anyone care to join?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Ok. Today I'm going to get all of my work done until Thursday. I'm going to start playing at midnight. Anyone care to join?

So you're in Australia? Too bad.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

So you're in Australia? Too bad.

Nope, just realized that when Origin said my release date was March 5th, it meant March 5th at 9pm. So... tomorrow night. I'm on Pacific time.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 pm
I do not hear good things about the endings =/

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 am