Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 pm

come dine with me? Vegitarian etiquette 
Post come dine with me? Vegitarian etiquette
We have a TV program over here in UK\Ireland called "Come dine with me".
In it 4/5 stranger meet up and take it turn to go each other others house where they cook meal.
The best meal wins £1000.
The meals are all prepared from scratch. there is no packet anything used.

Recently I was watching it and there was a vegetarian on it.
She insisted that at each meal she had to have a vegetarian option, but when she did her meal she would only cook vegetarian. there was no meat option. This happens alot with this program when there is a vegetarian. During the program nearly all contestants will admit that they've never cooked an veggie meal before.

Now I ask the question?

Should the vegetarian offer a meat option? i understand that it will be inconvenient for the vegetarian to cook meat but is it any less inconvenient for the other guests to cook a vegetarian meal for them.

What does anyonr else think?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 pm
Post Re: come dine with me? Vegitarian etiquette
I don't see why vegetarians can't be accommodated with a vegetarian option as long as it's not too much of a fuss and conforms to the rules of the contest.

As for vegetarians preparing meals with a meat option, I guess that depends on their reason for vegetarianism. If they're vegetarians for dietary or taste reasons, it shouldn't be too much trouble for them to conjure up some sort of meat dish, even if they're not accustomed to it. That's part of being a good chef.

If they're vegetarians for moral reasons, I guess that comes down to the rules of the contest. As long as they're within the rules, it's not a big deal for them to prepare a strictly vegetarian menu.

I don't personally share their qualms about meat, but I also try not to be in the business of forcing people into something that they don't want to do.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 pm
I'm a vegetarian for a mix of moral and personal reasons, but I certainly don't condemn anyone who consumes meat.

Regarding the question, though: it's not hard to prepare a vegetarian option: most veggies will be fine with a side of rice or pasta or soup to be their "main dish" with breads and assorted vegetables on the side. Some vegetarians are more demanding, but for me and most I know we don't expect anything extravagant at all.

On the other side of things, it's hard to just toss in a meat option. Given the way meat has to be cooked (and what it takes to cook it well), it's tough. For example: if I'm preparing a meatless pasta dish, or a quinoa dish or something similar, it may not make sense to just toss in a meat. I hate to say "it's harder for vegetarians," but in this case that may be true, at least in part. I think I can cook some meat well, but sometimes it just work to toss meat in a dish, and making, say, a steak as an option is a bit more time and cost consuming than making a side of rice or meatless pasta.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:36 pm
Cinematographer

First - I know nothing of etiquette.

It doesn't seem to me that either should need to go out of their way to accomodate the other. I'm a meat eater, but I don't eat meat exclusively. I now often decline the entrees when visiting friends during meals these days due to heart related fat intake restrictions. Surely there is something I can find in a vegetarian meal that would satisfy me. I wouldn't be offended if offered a meal without meat, and certainly would not turn down the opportunity to go eat at one of my Indian friends house just because I know they are vegetarians. By the same token, I've seen very few meals served that only feature meat dishes. A vegetarian should be able to find something of value in most parts of the world. I need to qualify that a little. Here in the southeastern U.S., it is not uncommon even for all of the vegetable dishes to have some component of animal fat cooked with them. In a situation like that, a gracious host should consider the desires of his guest and make an effort to consider them.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 pm
CasualDad wrote:
First - I know nothing of etiquette.

In a situation like that, a gracious host should consider the desires of his guest and make an effort to consider them.

I am off the opinion that a gacious host should cater for both meat eaters and vegetarians even if they themselves are vegetarians.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 am