Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Piracy 
Post Re: Piracy
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'm pretty sure Trevor was being facetious since libraries have been around for quite some time and they haven't destroyed the book industry.

yes.
it was meant as satire.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:54 am
Post Re: Piracy
Trevor wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'm pretty sure Trevor was being facetious since libraries have been around for quite some time and they haven't destroyed the book industry.

yes.
it was meant as satire.

Yep.

Sarcasm doesn't carry very well to this medium -mine or Trevor's. I've read enough of Trevor's other posts to know the scoop. I was amused that someone had leaped on my public library comments the way he did. Sometimes food for thought can be pop and chips.

Perhaps a better direction to point this discussion would be to draw comparisons between illegal drug trafficing and movie/media piracy. If there is significant movement afoot to legalize and tax said item, it could happen to the benefit to all concerned.

I didn't want to pee in the pool, but I see the piracy deal as a political arena and was making a heavily veiled comparison to a government regulated library versus buying movies from a guy's trunk or donwloading them from questionable websites. When the studios figure out how to create an environment where people are willing to pay a "fair*" price for the product, then we can move forward.

*WTF is fair?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:27 pm