Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

IMDB external reviews? 
Post IMDB external reviews?
For years, the first thing I do after watching a movie is to go to IMDB.com and read the external reviews posted there. Actually, two of them - James's review and Roger Ebert's. I noticed earlier this summer that IMDB has stopped linking to these two sites. What's going on?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 pm
Post Re: IMDB external reviews?
Hi, Radev. Welcome to the forum.

To verify this I selected a recent summer movie. I went with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. James' review is listed as the second one on the external reviews link so there does not seem to be a problem. I suppose you're experiencing this only for certain movies.

You're probably visiting the reviews section before someone has provided a link to James' review. I believe it's the users who provide the link pages instead of imdb itself. You can add the link yourself if you notice a missing link for a film you know JB has reviewed. I've done it before. Pretty easy and imdb doesn't take long to put it up after you've submitted.

Just go all the way to the bottom of the external reviews page and look for the "Edit Page" button. From there you can follow the instructions to add James' review.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am
What Ed wrote about Rise of the Planet of the Apes is correct. I was looking at Horrible Bosses and Crazy, Stupid, Love. In both cases, the list of external reviewers starts with the letter A and neither Reelviews or Chicago Sun-Tribune appears on the list (though these reviews exist). In most older movies (and also in the one you mentioned), the alphabetized list appears after about 7-8 of the best reviewers who show up on the top of the list and out of alphabetical order. These include also Salon.com, Rolling Stone, USA Today, Village Voice, etc. I hope that there is no attempt to move these specific reviews to the IMDB Pro site.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm
I highly doubt that imdb will move reviews to imdbPro. Most visitors can get those links from other sites like Metacritic and RottenTomatoes so imdb would be wise to improve the external reviews for the masses rather than further restrict them.

To repeat: normal imdb users like you and me can add reviews to the external reviews section. Just for fun I submitted James' reviews for both Horrible Bosses and Crazy Stupid Love. They don't appear instantaneously, but check back in a couple of days and they should be there.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 pm