Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Job interview question. 
Post Job interview question.
I recently had a phone interview for a relatively senior position (director) and was invited for a 2nd (also phone) interview with the General Manager Europe which will take place next week.

The company was recently acquired by a larger company and there are some fairly detailed questions I have about the affect the acquisition has had on the culture, how effective the creation of a new division using components of each company has been, what is the customer and employee reaction to the merger, etc.

I found my scheduled interviewer on LinkedIn. My question is, do I invite her as a contact beforehand with the intention of sending a brief introduction and a number of questions in preparation for the interview, or do I save the questions for during the interview and invite her as a contact after as a follow up (which I would do anyway).

I guess it boils down to- will I be perceived as an Internet stalker, or as showing initiative?

Thanks, advisers of Reelviews!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Post Re: Job interview question.
My suggestion is this: rather than adding the interviewer on LinkedIn, just contact her through the office phone number and ask some of the questions after explaining your purpose clearly and with no trace of condescension or arrogance. It will show initiative without the creepy stalker stigma attached, but that's just my 2 cents.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:57 pm
MunichMan wrote:
I recently had a phone interview for a relatively senior position (director) and was invited for a 2nd (also phone) interview with the General Manager Europe which will take place next week.

The company was recently acquired by a larger company and there are some fairly detailed questions I have about the affect the acquisition has had on the culture, how effective the creation of a new division using components of each company has been, what is the customer and employee reaction to the merger, etc.

I found my scheduled interviewer on LinkedIn. My question is, do I invite her as a contact beforehand with the intention of sending a brief introduction and a number of questions in preparation for the interview, or do I save the questions for during the interview and invite her as a contact after as a follow up (which I would do anyway).

I guess it boils down to- will I be perceived as an Internet stalker, or as showing initiative?

Thanks, advisers of Reelviews!

It would depend on how you found out that she is interviewing you. If the company advised you officially that she is interviewing you then I see no harm in at least sending a brief introduction for yourself to her. at this point while introducing yourself you could outline your concerns and questions advising her that you would like to discuss them on the day where appropriate. How and ever, if you unofficially know your interviewer then leave her alone.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:33 pm
Lets hope this speedy reply helps!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:33 am
eXterminus wrote:
Lets hope this speedy reply helps!

:lol:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:39 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Being an old guy, my sense of etiquette would lead me to avoid the interviewer. Contacting her looks like asking for special treatment. I prefer everyone on a level playing field as they come into the interview room which is why I've never won a big job in an interview situation.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 am
Profile WWW
I would not contact the interviewer ahead of time. Just be prepared with your questions. Interviewers often like prepared applicants and particularly like insightful questions so I would save them for that time. Good Luck!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:19 pm