Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 am

Skillful Plagiarist 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Skillful Plagiarist
No wonder that this guy has 900+ movie reviews spread over the web. He's pretty good at dressing up his reviews to look original.

http://www.listal.com/topic/plagiarized-movie-review

http://www.efilmcritic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18058

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm
Post Re: Skillful Plagiarist
I saw James' tweet about this a while back and noted some of your contributions in the review thread but I had no idea the guy posted his plagiarised review all over the place. It's a little shocking that someone who is both a moderator and an admin on this Listal site would say something like:

Quote:
If someone puts so much effort into rewriting a review then it's not really plagiarism any more.

Are you kidding me? So well-disguised plagiarism isn't plagiarism? All the "writer" is doing is re-ordering sentences and occasionally using another adjective. Where's the originality in that? He's stolen the entire structure. It wouldn't surprise me if he "borrowed" the other paragraphs from other reviews.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 pm
Agreed 100%: plagiarism. The entire structure is intact and only a few words are replaced by synomyms - plus some filler material.
There is something called "paraphrasing" which is taking someone else's idea, THINK about it, check thoroughly if you agree - and if yo do, you will go to the trouble to carefully re-phrase everything in your own style. If you disagree on some points, come up with new ideas, new angles - and work them stylistically into the article as smoothly as possible. If you quote verbatim, you need to label it as a quote. Plagiarism always looks like a poorly disguised copy/paste job.
The main arguments of the original Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile article (for example) could be re-worked and presented in a different structure and complete re-phrasing (since it is true). This requires an original thought process and some original research, filtering out unique - instantly recognizeable - phrasing in the source article and coming up with alternatives.
Plagiarism is about skipping research and forming any opinion out of conviction. It's the same car with a different paint job. It is about lazyness. That's my definition. I'm glad that there are people out there catching those posers in the act!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 pm
I don't follow JB (or anyone) on Twitter and did not hear about this. Personally, I like this kind of thing because it makes me chuckle. Some people are so pathetic that I can't help but laugh.

Change out "skillful" for "pathetic" and you're on the right track. This kat does not even try.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 am
Bondurant wrote:
I don't follow JB (or anyone) on Twitter and did not hear about this.

Neither do I, but surely you've noticed that James' latest tweets now appear on the Reelviews home page? That's how I saw the plagiarism tweet shortly before stumbling upon some discussion while skimming the Super 8 topic.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm