Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 pm

ReelViews and Google 
Site Admin

Post ReelViews and Google
Question for everyone...

It has come to my attention that Googling "Berardinelli" and/or "ReelViews" no longer brings up a link to reelviews.net. As far as I know, nothing has changed with the way I'm presenting the site to Google, ReelViews is still visited by Google's bots, and the robots.txt file has not excluded the Google bots from any key areas.

I don't derive a lot of traffic from Google (one reason I'm not SEO obsessed), but this is something I would like to correct if possible.

Any ideas?

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: ReelViews and Google
ive been noticing the same thing. for the past 4 days or so, all we get is the oceans thirteen review(2nd result), and blood diamond. and i usually navigate through that.

why is it that instead of the home page, i have no idea.

and as to why the first result is rotten tomatoes not reelviews, i think that's cuz that is the most popular site related to the word reelviews. so they just give you the reelviews page of RT. its like searching an actors name, doesn't give you his official homepage but his imdb page. so its popularity i think. and im just thinking here, i dont exactly know anything.

how bout emailing google and asking them? the most simple solution.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:28 pm
James,

My company has used SEM / SEO consultants.

I'll see if I can get someone to help (pro bono) on this.

It's probably best to discuss this with you by PM next week

Rob

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:53 pm
Site Admin

For anyone following this thread (and not too many people were), the issue with Google, which I inadvertantly created as part of the recent site upgrade, has been fixed and "Reelviews" and "Berardinelli" have resumed their rightful places in the Google hierarchy. Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions (even though I ultimately discovered the problem on my own).

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
For anyone following this thread (and not too many people were), the issue with Google, which I inadvertantly created as part of the recent site upgrade, has been fixed and "Reelviews" and "Berardinelli" have resumed their rightful places in the Google hierarchy. Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions (even though I ultimately discovered the problem on my own).

What was the problem and how did you fix it?

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 am
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
What was the problem and how did you fix it?

The guy who helped re-design the site put a meta tag nixing robots from indexing the main pages of the site. When I reviewed and edited the pages he developed, I missed this. The fix was obvious - delete the line. My robots.txt file is good enough to keep the robots out of areas where I don't want them. This line, while well-intentioned, had the effect of keeping the robots out of the entire database-driven portion of the website.

I fixed the problem Thursday; the Googlebot visited yesterday and, after that visit, everything returned to normal.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Happy this worked out James as that can be very frustrating !!
Rob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:33 pm