Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Leave of absence, MIA, or whatever you call it 
Post Leave of absence, MIA, or whatever you call it
Hi there

Just over a year ago I adopted a German Shepherd. Then we added a second. Then I started doing volunteer work as an adoption counselor helping others get their Shepherds. The satisfaction of pulling a dog out of a shelter and putting it into a loving home is amazing.

We place a German Shepherd every day and are heading towards our 3000th rescue

Why am I telling you this?

A few weeks ago the head of adoptions decided that after 7 years she was past it and wanted to hand it to someone else. They asked me if I'd take on the role of running German Shepherd adoption counseling in Northern California. I accepted.

The challenge for me is that this is about a 90-120 minute commitment every day with every other weekend taken at adoption days. I answer 50-70 emails every day! Then add phone interviews and trips to people's houses. Something has to give, I just cannot absorb 14 hours a week on top of a 60 hour work week and then argue about Michael Bay movies for hours on end.

So I'm taking a leave of absence. I hope it's not permanent, but it most likely will be.

I love this forum and the wisdom of so many of our members. I love the discussions, arguments and all that good stuff. But ultimately my work helping dogs is more important to me.

Serious best wishes to everyone. 5200+ posts ain't bad. I'll pop my head in every so often and see what's up.

Have fun and keep watching great movies
Rob

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:44 am
Post Re: Leave of absence, MIA, or whatever you call it
Hey Rob,

I'm glad you're doing what you're doing. We all know you're a busy man and I think everyone will perceive this decision to be perfectly reasonable. This forum, in comparison to your other endeavors, is expendable. Your presence will be missed. Pop in when you can and if you ever have some free time, let me know and I'll drive up. :)

~Pedro.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm
I couldn't think of many better reasons to "leave!"

We run our own personal rescue operation, it's called "vacation." We always seem to be bringing dogs back home with us when we travel. Our dog from Egypt, and others we have brought back from Greece and Bulgaria.

I did get a bit worried when I was in Sri Lanka, as there was some danger of bringing back a stray street elephant...

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 pm
Critic

Best of luck sir. I'm glad to see that your reason for leaving isn't the forum's unwillingness to watch enough great movies :)

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Its great that you're so dedicated to your work, but i'm really gonna miss having you around here.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 pm
Thanks for the kind words - Pedro, you're welcome any time, and I mean that!

I did a 17 hour work day yesterday and then 90 minutes rescue work will 2:15am

Today I worked from 8am till 6pm and then did 4 hours rescue work

It's an insane time.

My role on the forum is like a bucket of sand, one quick shake and the ripples are gone

Have fun!
Rob

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:19 am
Have a great time - and, if this ends up being a final post for you, have a great life - Rob. You're a quality gent. I'll miss your posts.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 pm
Rob, you'll be sorely missed.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 pm
:(

Miss you Robbie...and congrats on the good work outside the forum.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 pm
Rob, as lover of dogs and as a big fan of German Shepherds, I commend and salute you. Best of luck, buddy. What you're doing there will change way more lives than what you do here.

However, as a member of this forum I have to say that I'm jealous of the time these dogs will get. Your presence here will be missed, please try to drop in on occasion.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm