Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:45 am

Advertising on Reelviews 
Post Advertising on Reelviews
Jim,

Regarding the advertising on your site. I want you to get the most out of it, so this question is for you directly.

You now have links to buy DVDs at Amazon. Do you get more $ if the DVD is actually purchased, or does clicking the link over to Amazon generate whatever $ you are going to get.

I am asking this because I want to buy the DVD of Body of Lies, however the link from your website brings me only to the Widescreen Version, and I am interested in the 2 disk SE version.

I think you can see what I am asking. Let me know!

Maybe you should have an Advertising on Reelviews section of the forum, seperately... Just a thought!

Mark B

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Advertising on Reelviews
MrGuinness wrote:
You now have links to buy DVDs at Amazon. Do you get more $ if the DVD is actually purchased, or does clicking the link over to Amazon generate whatever $ you are going to get.

I am asking this because I want to buy the DVD of Body of Lies, however the link from your website brings me only to the Widescreen Version, and I am interested in the 2 disk SE version.

Here's how the amazon links work: When you click on any amazon link on ReelViews, it opens a "session" at amazon.com. Anything - it doesn't have to be the movie whose link you clicked - that you buy during that session will result in my getting a commission. The key is that you have to complete the transaction (not just putting it in the cart, but going all the way through and paying for it) before ending the session.

So if you click to amazon via the link for Friday the 13th and instead buy Mamma Mia! and a $600 laptop, I get credit for the entire purchase as long as you complete the sale before leaving amazon.

Thanks for asking.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
I love how you threw in the part about the $600 laptop. XD I suppose the more expensive it is, the more money you get? In any case, I'll remember that next time I need to get something at Amazon, which is more frequent than not.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:20 pm
Site Admin

Pedro wrote:
I love how you threw in the part about the $600 laptop. XD I suppose the more expensive it is, the more money you get?

Correct. It's a percentage commission, with a top limit of $25 on any individual purchase.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
I guess that is true even when you log in with your account, does that make a difference James?

I do know, that I do click through deeper on the adds at times, once on the site, to get further buried in the system to help you out.

Curious if logging in to Amazon would make a difference for you or not.

Wade

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 am
Site Admin

Commodorefirst wrote:
I guess that is true even when you log in with your account, does that make a difference James?

I do know, that I do click through deeper on the adds at times, once on the site, to get further buried in the system to help you out.

Curious if logging in to Amazon would make a difference for you or not.

Wade

My understanding is that as long as you get to amazon by following one of my links, it doesn't matter what you do once there, as long as you don't go somewhere else before making the purchase. Actually, in order to purchase, you have to log into your account anyway.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 am
Profile WWW
James, is there a way to make this work for Amazon.de? Living in Germany, you can imagine that I am a frequent customer of Amazon for my English books, but obviously I order through the German Amazon, as the shipping is free, etc.

I would love to support you, but don't know if this is possible, as the link is to Amazon.com.

Does the session remain open if I go to the German site via the link on Amazon.com?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:22 am
Site Admin

MunichMan wrote:
I would love to support you, but don't know if this is possible, as the link is to Amazon.com. Does the session remain open if I go to the German site via the link on Amazon.com?

If you can add it to your cart at amazon.com and still have it in the same cart at amazon.de, then it may work. Otherwise, I'd say no.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 am
Profile WWW
James,

I needed to buy an LCD monitor on Amazon, so I decided to go through your site and see if I could get the sale credited to you.

Any way to confirm this? I did it today, and it was for a $199 monitor.

Mark

Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:26 pm
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
James,

I needed to buy an LCD monitor on Amazon, so I decided to go through your site and see if I could get the sale credited to you.

Any way to confirm this? I did it today, and it was for a $199 monitor.

Mark

I should be able to confirm it the day after it ships. Amazon lets me see what I get credit for but the credit isn't applied until it ships, and the reports to me lag by 24 hours.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
This is interesting. I had no idea how it really worked. Do you receive a commission when the purchase is made through Amazon.com with one of their marketplace sellers (I think that is what they call them).

The reason I ask is college students buying their used books over amazon. I will be in a graduate program in the fall and can buy my books via your site. There are probably many other college students who view your site.

Maybe this should be stickied somewhere as I assume most people don't know how the funds get to you. You may see a boost in income January and August/September.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm
I just started an Amazon affiliate system too. James, what other types of Ads do you use and how do they work? Do you do Google?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 pm
Site Admin

jsutter wrote:
This is interesting. I had no idea how it really worked. Do you receive a commission when the purchase is made through Amazon.com with one of their marketplace sellers (I think that is what they call them).

Yes, I get a commission for products purchased through their marketplace sellers.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

moulton4 wrote:
I just started an Amazon affiliate system too. James, what other types of Ads do you use and how do they work? Do you do Google?

Google Adsense
Tribal Fusion
ADSDAQ
Burst Media
Casale
Jambo

Some are more effective than others. A lot depends on placement in the "chain." Google is not chained and revenue is primarily driven through clickthroughs. TF, ADSDAQ, Burst, and Casale are in the chain and mostly CPM. Jambo is the media player and may also soon be providing the trailers attached to the reviews. (Currently, you can view trailers using their players, but it takes a little navigation.)

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile WWW