Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 am

King Kong (1933) BluRay edition (ist it worthwhile???) 
Post King Kong (1933) BluRay edition (ist it worthwhile???)
Just checked if the first King Kong is available on BluRay, and yep: it is. Seems to me that this has been taken from the exact same restored master as the previous DVD release:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/kingkong.htm

Check the larger images, which are of course screen caps from the BluRay edition. They look clean and contrast is O.K. But the amount of film grain simply is unacceptable. I am glad that no digital grain reduction has been used, it never really works. Can it be that the original negatives, or any low generation masters, are lost because they were made of nitrate stock? Can it be that this is a 1950s transfer to 35mm acetate (many rapidly decaying nitrate films were transferred to acetate during the 1950s in an attempt to save them - it was of course an excellent idea, but generation loss (including increased amount of film grain) was the trade off).
I don't know why the ridiculous amount of film grain, and the less than great sharpness, aren't mentioned in the above review. I would love to know if this is the very best version available of this great classic. If so, some new computer software is desperately needed to smoothen it out without any loss of detail. I am positive that even in the 1930s a good 35mm original negative had way less grain. This looks almost like an ordinary 16mm print to me.

Anyone owns the BluRay? Comments?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 pm