Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:18 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad) 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1266
Post Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
This one has to be seen to be believed (and could be fake):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAfXNzX ... re=related

Gary's Mattresses may have accomplished the seemingly impossible: stereotyping Jews, Indians, Muslims, and Asians in one swoop.

Have any favorite tv commercials? Or particularly awful tv commercials? Or want to comment on tv commercials in general?

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:46 pm
Profile
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
I can't stop laughing at this. I'm having trouble believing that this isn't some sort of guerrilla satire.


Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:48 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Here's one from the 80s that advertised an air freshener with the name 'Magic Mushroom'. Not sure whether the makers were aware of the usual meaning of the phrase:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySCPJnm4HWg

Jean-Luc Godard did a French commercial for Schick in the 70s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En1P8CWmL-A


Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:58 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
I present to you....EAGLEMAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI

EAGLEMAN around the house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE98_1Ky4l8&feature=related

and EAGLEWOMAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPzV0YgqtRY&feature=related


Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
I remember one night a few months back I saw an ad for pasta sauce (I think...) that had a horrifying old Italian lady stalking a family in a desperate bid to steal back the pasta sauce they were using and "take it back" to Italy. It was just this weird mish mash of ideas, and it seemed to go out of it's way to paint Italians in a bad light. It wasn't a small budget ad either. I only saw it once, so I have to assume it was taken off the air pretty quick.

I don't normally feel insulted by ads, but this one from a few years back http://www.tvspots.tv/video/40381/McDONALDS--ANZAC-DAY really annoyed me. I don't think it lasted long either.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:13 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1266
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
AJR wrote:
I remember one night a few months back I saw an ad for pasta sauce (I think...) that had a horrifying old Italian lady stalking a family in a desperate bid to steal back the pasta sauce they were using and "take it back" to Italy. It was just this weird mish mash of ideas, and it seemed to go out of it's way to paint Italians in a bad light. It wasn't a small budget ad either. I only saw it once, so I have to assume it was taken off the air pretty quick.

I don't normally feel insulted by ads, but this one from a few years back http://www.tvspots.tv/video/40381/McDONALDS--ANZAC-DAY really annoyed me. I don't think it lasted long either.

I think the real lesson of that one is that McDonalds food kills old people :D

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1266
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)


Oh my. That couldn't even make #1 though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKWwnpi2 ... ature=fvwp

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
O.K. here is my humble contribution: I work since 1991 as a composer for tv commercials (not exclusively). I have seen tons and tons of tv commercials from many countries over the last decades. One thing that strikes me is that when you come from Europe (I mostly know tv ads from Spain, Portugal and Germany), US tv commercials are so radically different. First of all the timing is faster and more efficient - second: it's surprising how many commercials still go for some variety of "feel good". In Germany many recent tv commercials simply scream at you (some literally!) and try to be badass and aggressive. In Spain and Portugal they are a little softer in gereral (but of course you sell household detergent in a different way than, say, booze or a car - so I only can say: "in general"). Since the 90s there is way too much sex and "seduction" in the tv commercials. No matter how annoying and smarmy US tv commercials can get - I love the fact that for long stretches noone wants to sell anything which is a "temptation" (that word - in a: come, try the forbidden things! kind - is way, way overused here in Portugal and Spain). One kind of selling a product which really annoys me is the "bad conscoiusness" - "if you don't use our product, something bad can/will happen to you". Unfortunately this is also used quite frequently in the US. This is way worse and annoying than commercials about denture cleaning and toilet paper. :?

I still remember the innocence (in most cases) of tv commercials from the late 60s through the early 80s. For me it's a mix of fond memories and trash cult (many have turned unintendedly hilarious or even pathetic by now). Still many a tv commercial featured instantly recognizeable original songs. That's almost completely gone by now (here in Europe), the last remaining original songs are mostly for supermarket chains and houshold cleaning products (where the target audience are mostly middle aged women). That old "innocence" got lost somewhere during the 80s (at least here in Europe) and made way for much more aggressive advertising. This has a lot to do with the introduction of private television in Europe from the mid 80s through early 90s. It was mostly trashy and always played for the cheap seats (at the beginning).

Sorry for my long ramblings.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)


That is simply brilliant! Pure genius! Great find. I have seen some pretty bad local tv ads, but that beats all. There is absolutely nothing they got right. That's pretty hard to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:


Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:37 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Threeperf35 wrote:


That is simply brilliant! Pure genius! Great find. I have seen some pretty bad local tv ads, but that beats all. There is absolutely nothing they got right. That's pretty hard to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:


You think I found them out of the blue? How sweet. I remember WATCHING these commercials as a boy. I was in that local area where those commercials aired. And back then, I knew something was off when watching those commercials


Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:29 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1482
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Threeperf35 wrote:
O.K. here is my humble contribution: I work since 1991 as a composer for tv commercials (not exclusively). I have seen tons and tons of tv commercials from many countries over the last decades. One thing that strikes me is that when you come from Europe (I mostly know tv ads from Spain, Portugal and Germany), US tv commercials are so radically different. First of all the timing is faster and more efficient - second: it's surprising how many commercials still go for some variety of "feel good". In Germany many recent tv commercials simply scream at you (some literally!) and try to be badass and aggressive. In Spain and Portugal they are a little softer in gereral (but of course you sell household detergent in a different way than, say, booze or a car - so I only can say: "in general"). Since the 90s there is way too much sex and "seduction" in the tv commercials. No matter how annoying and smarmy US tv commercials can get - I love the fact that for long stretches noone wants to sell anything which is a "temptation" (that word - in a: come, try the forbidden things! kind - is way, way overused here in Portugal and Spain). One kind of selling a product which really annoys me is the "bad conscoiusness" - "if you don't use our product, something bad can/will happen to you". Unfortunately this is also used quite frequently in the US. This is way worse and annoying than commercials about denture cleaning and toilet paper. :?

I still remember the innocence (in most cases) of tv commercials from the late 60s through the early 80s. For me it's a mix of fond memories and trash cult (many have turned unintendedly hilarious or even pathetic by now). Still many a tv commercial featured instantly recognizeable original songs. That's almost completely gone by now (here in Europe), the last remaining original songs are mostly for supermarket chains and houshold cleaning products (where the target audience are mostly middle aged women). That old "innocence" got lost somewhere during the 80s (at least here in Europe) and made way for much more aggressive advertising. This has a lot to do with the introduction of private television in Europe from the mid 80s through early 90s. It was mostly trashy and always played for the cheap seats (at the beginning).

Sorry for my long ramblings.

Commercials over the pass couple of years have been very bad. They spend too much time trying to be funny or visually impressive than trying to tell us a reason to buy the item.


Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Threeperf35 wrote:
O.K. here is my humble contribution: I work since 1991 as a composer for tv commercials (not exclusively). I have seen tons and tons of tv commercials from many countries over the last decades. One thing that strikes me is that when you come from Europe (I mostly know tv ads from Spain, Portugal and Germany), US tv commercials are so radically different. First of all the timing is faster and more efficient - second: it's surprising how many commercials still go for some variety of "feel good". In Germany many recent tv commercials simply scream at you (some literally!) and try to be badass and aggressive. In Spain and Portugal they are a little softer in gereral (but of course you sell household detergent in a different way than, say, booze or a car - so I only can say: "in general"). Since the 90s there is way too much sex and "seduction" in the tv commercials. No matter how annoying and smarmy US tv commercials can get - I love the fact that for long stretches noone wants to sell anything which is a "temptation" (that word - in a: come, try the forbidden things! kind - is way, way overused here in Portugal and Spain). One kind of selling a product which really annoys me is the "bad conscoiusness" - "if you don't use our product, something bad can/will happen to you". Unfortunately this is also used quite frequently in the US. This is way worse and annoying than commercials about denture cleaning and toilet paper. :?

I still remember the innocence (in most cases) of tv commercials from the late 60s through the early 80s. For me it's a mix of fond memories and trash cult (many have turned unintendedly hilarious or even pathetic by now). Still many a tv commercial featured instantly recognizeable original songs. That's almost completely gone by now (here in Europe), the last remaining original songs are mostly for supermarket chains and houshold cleaning products (where the target audience are mostly middle aged women). That old "innocence" got lost somewhere during the 80s (at least here in Europe) and made way for much more aggressive advertising. This has a lot to do with the introduction of private television in Europe from the mid 80s through early 90s. It was mostly trashy and always played for the cheap seats (at the beginning).

Sorry for my long ramblings.


Hi there

So what are the great TV commercials from 1980 onwards in Europe?

Very curious

Rob


Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:56 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
I almost always mute commercials when they come on, because I just don't care about most of the stuff that's being advertised. It seems like the only good commercials are the ones that get banned,, as this site aptly demonstrates.

http://www.bannedcommercials.org/


Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 am
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there

So what are the great TV commercials from 1980 onwards in Europe?

Very curious

Rob


Takes some time to remember and find these. Of course there are still great ads here and there. Many high budget car ads used all over Europe (with only slight differences) are great looking. I the early-mid 80s we had in Germany some cult classics for Ice Crean (the sex was still toned down enough to make it family freindly), but those were theatrical commercials which ran for 60 sec (would be way too expensive for tv).
On YouTube there are mostly entire blocks of like 20 ads from the late 80s and 90s on badly worn vhs tape. It's rather hard to find one (good) single ad from this era - and even if you do it's usually on badly worn out vhs tape. Most 90s ads were dull anyway, with some exceptions of course. From the 2000s there are plenty to chose. After the switch from videotape to "movie" data files (quick time/ .mov, mpeg, AVI, etc.) during production it has become so much easier to upload, so many, many of the recent ads are on YouTube. Will take a good look ASAP.


Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:07 am
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Vexer wrote:
I almost always mute commercials when they come on, because I just don't care about most of the stuff that's being advertised. It seems like the only good commercials are the ones that get banned,, as this site aptly demonstrates.

http://www.bannedcommercials.org/


The Megan Fox ad reminds me of something I just can't stand in tv commercials: the stale 2nd hand use of artzy clichés (black and white= O.K. but jump cuts and the "music" using backwards-type sound FX are exactly what I find so lame, add some grainy footage and I will gag). I remember when tv commercials mimicked the various blockbuster movies and mostly mtv styles during the late 90s and early 2000s (flashes, parts of the image digitally blurred, sped up parts, imitation of worn, old Super8 or 16mm film, extreme slow motion, Matrix style bullet time, letters bouncing and trembling, inspired by Se7en,......) flavor of the week stuff, ages in no time.


Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:20 am
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there

So what are the great TV commercials from 1980 onwards in Europe?

Very curious

Rob


Here is a "classic" Nike commercial from around 2002 (I believe). I don't care about the brand. I happen to like the ad (the music is pure crappola - but I am used to that: it is in most cases the very last thing the creative guys think about). Some of Europe's finest football (the one played with the foot - hence the name) players (left in the truck is Portugal's Luis Figo, who at the trime played for Barcelona) doing a "heist". The idea is not stale at all because the sport and even each player's trademark stunts are excellently integrated. Sure this is pure nonsense, but I like it. Must have taken a lot of careful planning and a huge budget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXL3_rZA ... re=related

Here is an ultra "classic" from 1993 (the first and best known of a series of ads). I am not sure if this was shown in the US also. Anyway: this was such a huge success in Europe, and it has a decidedly European flair (as opposed to the later George Clooney Martini commercials) that comedians everywhere referred to the "rubbing thumb along the lips - as invitation to sex". I am not that fond of the commercial, it is about a slut who leaves the ugly old rich guy for the ultra cool badass (sexy?) young guy in front of everyone. It celebrates all the wrong things (except for Charlize Theron's butt of course) - but it clearly marked the death of the "feel good advertising" forever (in Europe at least), and it worked. So I have to regard it as one of the great post 1980 "classics". Check also the faux 1960s music, very similar to the Ocean's Trilogy music by David Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3L0VzmN ... re=related

P.S. PLMK if any of the URL's don't work. I can upload these commercials.


Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 am
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
For me, it's always been Crossfire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50


Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Blonde Almond wrote:
For me, it's always been Crossfire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50


Good one! Of course, being non-american, I haven't seen it. Looks and sounds totally '80s to me (not sure if I got it right, some of that "feel" still went on into the early 90s here and there).
Of course this is "retro junk", but I guess if you have seen it as a boy, it is just great memories. Gotta love the music. Just as cheezy as Jefferson Starship and Survivor *trying to hold back the gag reflex* :mrgreen:


Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Threeperf35 wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
For me, it's always been Crossfire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50


Good one! Of course, being non-american, I haven't seen it. Looks and sounds totally '80s to me (not sure if I got it right, some of that "feel" still went on into the early 90s here and there).
Of course this is "retro junk", but I guess if you have seen it as a boy, it is just great memories. Gotta love the music. Just as cheezy as Jefferson Starship and Survivor *trying to hold back the gag reflex* :mrgreen:


Better question....did anyone ever play Crossfire? Or were we just too amazed over the commercial to play it?


Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:55 pm
Post Re: Television Advertisements (Starting with: most racist ad)
Patrick wrote:
Better question....did anyone ever play Crossfire? Or were we just too amazed over the commercial to play it?

<-- This guy here. It's not anywhere near as cool as the commercials make it look.


Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:09 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr