Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:24 am

Phew... the US thinks that the drug wars are a success 
Post Re: Phew... the US thinks that the drug wars are a success
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Public schools teaching creationism is one of my berserk-buttons, i'm glad they didn't do this crap back when I was in grade school.
My school didn't teach creationism, but the science teachers were cagey enough that they didn't teach evolution either--even though evolution is basically the entire underpinning of modern science. We also got abstinence-only sex ed.

I'm glad I'm an autodidact.

Also, awesome use of the TV tropes term "berserk button."

Bet you anything Vexer is going to respond with something like "Well, I never heard of TV Tropes"

But I was taught evolution and safe-sex along with having to watch a video of a guy feeling himself for testicular cancer....complete with penis. At a public school in a small town that was half rural and half suburban.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Public schools teaching creationism is one of my berserk-buttons, i'm glad they didn't do this crap back when I was in grade school.
My school didn't teach creationism, but the science teachers were cagey enough that they didn't teach evolution either--even though evolution is basically the entire underpinning of modern science. We also got abstinence-only sex ed.

I'm glad I'm an autodidact.

Also, awesome use of the TV tropes term "berserk button."

Actually I learned them term LONG before I ever went to Tvtropes, anyways the high school I went to didn't have a sex-ed class, not even abstinence only, so I had to turn to the internet to find out all the facts.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 pm
My 15 year old son bought home some sex-ed homework this week that I swear was for 5 year olds
It makes sex sound like a desease based plague
They had to make up a song about going to a clinic!

The bizarre thing is that I had already had sex with an 18 year old Swiss student at his age and was raring to go
If i'd been asked to write songs about sex and clinics.....

Rob

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:02 am
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I was taught at a Jesuit high school and creationism was not taught in the science classes. We did have to read much of the First Testament in Theology class, but the priests never said, "Now boys...this here bible is the straight dope, not that Darwin huey you might have heard of out on the streets." I don't recall much sex ed being covered (bits in 7th and 8th grade and the nuts and bolts of it in biology in high school, but that was 30 years ago and I'm sure curricula have changed).

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:56 am
Patrick wrote:
Bet you anything Vexer is going to respond with something like "Well, I never heard of TV Tropes"

Well, you were close enough :P

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:25 am
Director

Bondurant wrote:
The prison industry is big business. Keeping drugs illegal is the easiest way to feed the system.

Every law/prohibition put into place, with the exception of the few shared values, is there only to make the government money.

Bingo. It's a Hell of a lot easier to bust urban/rural citizens for drugs. Put them in jail and the police and politicians proclaim that "they're cleaning up the streets."

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 pm
Profile YIM
Director

corpen11 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
The prison industry is big business. Keeping drugs illegal is the easiest way to feed the system.

Every law/prohibition put into place, with the exception of the few shared values, is there only to make the government money.

Bingo. It's a Hell of a lot easier to bust urban/rural citizens for drugs. Put them in jail and the police and politicians proclaim that "they're cleaning up the streets."

Precisely. Like I stated elsewhere on this forum: if decriminalization was ever seriously considered the opponents would not only be the extreme social conservatives (many Libertarian conservatives like the late Milton Friedman and William F Buckley favor decriminalizing) but the dealers themselves who make a lot more money selling the stuff illegally. Not to mention all the govenrment branches that would be eliminated (the DEA) if drugs were made legal.

All the drug war has done is push the government further and further into areas it should not go. More and more rights lost, more and more innocent people hurt, more and more of the taxpayers money wasted.

While I favor total decriminalization, I can also undertsand why society may not be quite ready to go that far. The best mid-range idea would be to start treating this as more of a health problem than a law enforcement issue.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:48 pm
So say next week we decriminalize drugs. Which ones? Let's assume pot, crack, cocaine, heroine, pills in all shapes and forms...the whole lot of 'em. Now we have injectible heroine courtesy of Abbott labs. America is not Europe; the first person who shoots up incorrectly and gives themselves an embolism, or overdoses, or develops nasal cancer from snorting cocaine, or lung cancer from pot, or pick one of a thousand circumstances with these products; are you going to give the manufacturer immunity from prosecution, assuming their product lived up to FDA standards? I can see civil cases blossoming in this litigation happy society of ours. If that were to happen, you may have legal products that nobody will be willing to make.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

Precisely. Like I stated elsewhere on this forum: if decriminalization was ever seriously considered the opponents would not only be the extreme social conservatives (many Libertarian conservatives like the late Milton Friedman and William F Buckley favor decriminalizing) but the dealers themselves who make a lot more money selling the stuff illegally. Not to mention all the govenrment branches that would be eliminated (the DEA) if drugs were made legal.

All the drug war has done is push the government further and further into areas it should not go. More and more rights lost, more and more innocent people hurt, more and more of the taxpayers money wasted.

While I favor total decriminalization, I can also undertsand why society may not be quite ready to go that far. The best mid-range idea would be to start treating this as more of a health problem than a law enforcement issue.

Too many lives has been affected by this two decade plus drug war that going nowhere. A man could go to jail for developing an addiction when he/her needs to go to a rehab clinic; a college student could kiss their scholarship away if they smoke some weed alone and not bothering another human being. Our politicians are ready to disregard out civil rights just to "protect the society at large". Times are changing.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:33 pm
Profile YIM
This reminds me of when Michelle Leonhart publicly stated that the escalating violence on the Mexican border was a sign of the success of the drug war.

You can't reform these people. There's no hope.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 am
AP IMPACT: After 40 years, $1 trillion, US War on Drugs has failed to meet any of its goals

The most jaw-dropping thing about this article is probably the fact that this was on a Fox News operated website.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:28 pm
Fox will probably just take the position that there's more work to be done. Or, "Don't change horses in midstream!" or something equally inane.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:46 pm