Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 am

Education Reform in the US 
Post Re: Education Reform in the US
ram1312 wrote:
Okay, fuck...

I told myself I wouldn't post as this shit pisses me off way to much. I'm a teacher of 9 years in both private and public schools, but...can I get a quick poll?

What is your highest level of education and what of it was public or private?

I'm just curious....

I have an Associates and a Bachelors, one from a state hyphenated university and the other from a partial-subsidy regional college.

I'd like to ask a question too:

How many of you have children and what type of school are they, or will they be attending?

(my feeling is that where you're going is more relevant than where you've been)

Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am
Director

Awf Hand wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Okay, fuck...

I told myself I wouldn't post as this shit pisses me off way to much. I'm a teacher of 9 years in both private and public schools, but...can I get a quick poll?

What is your highest level of education and what of it was public or private?

I'm just curious....

I have an Associates and a Bachelors, one from a state hyphenated university and the other from a partial-subsidy regional college.

How many of you have children and what type of school are they, or will they be attending?

No kids yet, though I would like to homeschool my future progeny. Especially considering that I'll likely be marrying someone of similar academic attainment, and that most intelligence is inherited, there's good reason to believe that it's very likely that my kids will be above average in intelligence. So, it makes no sense to put them in a school designed to cater to average teachers and average students.

Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 am
Awf Hand wrote:

I have 3 very small children (ages 3 to a few months) and I plan to send them to our church's school. With that said, the public schools in my area are doing a great job and the kids there score very highly on the state's standardized testing (I do Junior Achievement in these schools), but my wife and I would like our kids to have a faith-based education. (As good as our public schools are, it must be noted that the church school kids still test better on average. I know that the argument can be made that it could be because the parents are shelling out extra $ for the education and thus value it more and the kids do better, but this is an untested hypothesis.)

firefly wrote:
No kids yet, though I would like to homeschool my future progeny.

My neighbors home school their 4 kids ages 3-12...I don't know how you handle such a wide age range. Actually they have #5 due in July and I think that the oldest 2 kids will be going to parochial schools starting in the fall as that many kids would be too much for them to do at home and not feel that they were shortchanging the education somewhere.

Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

nm, posted something snarky and immediately felt guilty. Never mind.

Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm
Director

johnny larue wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:

I have 3 very small children (ages 3 to a few months) and I plan to send them to our church's school. With that said, the public schools in my area are doing a great job and the kids there score very highly on the state's standardized testing (I do Junior Achievement in these schools), but my wife and I would like our kids to have a faith-based education. (As good as our public schools are, it must be noted that the church school kids still test better on average. I know that the argument can be made that it could be because the parents are shelling out extra $ for the education and thus value it more and the kids do better, but this is an untested hypothesis.)

firefly wrote:
No kids yet, though I would like to homeschool my future progeny.

My neighbors home school their 4 kids ages 3-12...I don't know how you handle such a wide age range. Actually they have #5 due in July and I think that the oldest 2 kids will be going to parochial schools starting in the fall as that many kids would be too much for them to do at home and not feel that they were shortchanging the education somewhere.

It'd definitely be a challenge, though I think that using the Khan Academy, especially for the older ones, would go a long way in making things work.

Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 pm
My dad wanted me to go to a faith-based school as a kid, thank god that never happened! :lol: I had a pretty good experience in public school, I only ended up in an alternative school because of my mental disability, i'm sure I still could've finished public school despite that though.

Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 pm