Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 am

3-D movies are a copy protection against Cams? 
Post 3-D movies are a copy protection against Cams?
Well one thing that went through my mind is: I heard so many times that 3D movies (projected in the theater) have built-in copy protection against illegal video recording (cams) of the screen image. I think that is BS. Don't know how it is in the US, but here in Europe noone asks you to give back the 3D glasses. I have two pairs of Real-D glasses right here beside me - kept them as a souvenir. Since the polarization is circular (not vertical/horizontal as in much older color 3d systems), all you need to do is cut out the frame and filter for the right eye (which is the image used for 2D versions if I'm correct), while filming: hold that frame/filer in front of the camcorder (NO worries about the angle or alignment) and you have a 2D version. Modern camcorders can handle the loss of brightness just fine.
Well I only saw "cams" a couple of times. A friend showed them to me. I found the quality unwatchable. But if cams are percieved as a threat - 3D won't be an obstacle. Camcorders where the lens is fixed even can have the filter (from the 3D glasses) taped to them, so it's even less hassle. That argument
for me is not valid.

Comments?

Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm
Post Re: 3-D movies are a copy protection against Cams?
Threeperf35 wrote:
Well one thing that went through my mind is: I heard so many times that 3D movies (projected in the theater) have built-in copy protection against illegal video recording (cams) of the screen image. I think that is BS. Don't know how it is in the US, but here in Europe noone asks you to give back the 3D glasses. I have two pairs of Real-D glasses right here beside me - kept them as a souvenir. Since the polarization is circular (not vertical/horizontal as in much older color 3d systems), all you need to do is cut out the frame and filter for the right eye (which is the image used for 2D versions if I'm correct), while filming: hold that frame/filer in front of the camcorder (NO worries about the angle or alignment) and you have a 2D version. Modern camcorders can handle the loss of brightness just fine.
Well I only saw "cams" a couple of times. A friend showed them to me. I found the quality unwatchable. But if cams are percieved as a threat - 3D won't be an obstacle. Camcorders where the lens is fixed even can have the filter (from the 3D glasses) taped to them, so it's even less hassle. That argument
for me is not valid.

Comments?

I saw a couple CAMS and they're horrible. I could never watch a movie like that.

In an ideal world, 3D might offer some protection against Cams. I don't know if someone wants to hold a glasses lens in front of a camera for two hours, but I suppose they could fix it somehow.

Ultimately, they won't have to do that. Every 3D movie is released in 2D also. Which means the people who record movies will just opt for a cinema with the 2D option. Much simpler that!

In a world where *every* showing is in 3D this won't be possible. However, I don't think we'll ever reach a time where we'll all be subjected to those glasses. I can't imagine that the Ludovico is much worse.

Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

I saw a couple CAMS and they're horrible. I could never watch a movie like that.

[edit]

In a world where *every* showing is in 3D this won't be possible. However, I don't think we'll ever reach a time where we'll all be subjected to those glasses. I can't imagine that the Ludovico is much worse.

Agreed: cams are unwatchable. I don't know why they are feared so much. Or is it a fake argument to boost 3D movies?

Yep, the Ludovico might just be about as painful. But at least someone provides you personally with soothing/moisturing eyedrops... :lol:

Tue May 17, 2011 3:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Interesting. Here in Singapore, the cinema staff count the 3D glasses out and stand prepared to strip search everyone as they leave. The cinemas paid out good money for their 3D glasses and ain't no-one gonna reduce their inventory.

So far, I've only seen two 3D movies worth paying the extra — Avatar and the last three minutes of the otherwise dire Despicable Me where the minions attempt to climb out of the screen. I've reverted to 2D and have also noticed the number of 3D showings here reducing in number.

Personally, I can't imagine why people would pay for a shaky camcorder version. It used to be easy to buy them and then we got these neat download-to-DVD machines in all our shopping centres where, a month or so after release, we can get a full, time-coded version for a couple of dollars. It's driven the street vendors off the streets.

Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 am
Profile WWW
dmar91 wrote:
Interesting. Here in Singapore, the cinema staff count the 3D glasses out and stand prepared to strip search everyone as they leave. The cinemas paid out good money for their 3D glasses and ain't no-one gonna reduce their inventory.

So far, I've only seen two 3D movies worth paying the extra — Avatar and the last three minutes of the otherwise dire Despicable Me where the minions attempt to climb out of the screen. I've reverted to 2D and have also noticed the number of 3D showings here reducing in number.

Personally, I can't imagine why people would pay for a shaky camcorder version. It used to be easy to buy them and then we got these neat download-to-DVD machines in all our shopping centres where, a month or so after release, we can get a full, time-coded version for a couple of dollars. It's driven the street vendors off the streets.

It's the same here with the glasses. They have a couple of employees basically block your way until you give back the glasses. Unfortunately the number of 3D showings is increasing in number here. You couldn't see Thor in 2D (at least not until the 4th week or so) and it's the same for other new releases.

Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm
Well here in Portugal they have just a cardoard box where they ask you to put the glasses back into. I'm sure the bosses are cutting costs on personel (a very heavy economical crisis is shaking the country - the third to "go down" in the European Union after Greece and Ireland - Spain is said to be next - sorry I digress).
In Frankfurt, Germany (where I grew up) in the early 2000s during my annual summer vacation I went many times to the large IMAX 3D movie theater when they still projected real 70mm horizontal film - loved it so much, both 2D and 3D movies - (now it is converted to digital and they only show crappy CGI dinosaur movies and such). Of course when you left the theater there were two employees making sure each and everyone gave back those large IMAX 3D glasses.

Anyone interested in a pair of Real D glasses 8-) naw, just kidding!

Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Unfortunately the number of 3D showings is increasing in number here. You couldn't see Thor in 2D (at least not until the 4th week or so) and it's the same for other new releases.

I just made the mistake of going to see On Stranger Tides but, on my day of shame, there were 10 showings in 2D and only 3 in 3D (appropriate really). The bubble in 3D has definitely been pricked here.

Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile WWW