Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Ken's Blog 
Post Re: My Life
Today's blog review: Avatar.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 pm
Ken wrote:

ken,

As I said before, trashed movies is going to become tiresome reading. Can't you write about something you love?

Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm
Vexer wrote:
I think you guys are being silly, Ken should be able to review whatever the hell he wants, after all it is HIS blog and he's not focused on trying to please you guys, he just wants to write about whatever's on his mind, isn't that the whole point of a blog in the first place?

Vexey

You may be missing the point.
Of course Ken should write about what he wants on HIS blog
But if he posts links here, it suggests he wants comments
I think that writing reviews where he simply trashed popular movies is not going to get much of a readership
I am interested to read about what he likes and why

Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Ken wrote:

ken,

As I said before, trashed movies is going to become tiresome reading. Can't you write about something you love?

Rob

I'm with Rob here. I read the first few of your reviews and while I enjoyed reading a different perspective, taking a consistently negative approach has quickly lost my interest. I haven't bothered to click on the links for the last couple of reviews because I know exactly what I'm going to get. You're free to write whatever you want, but you've already lost one potential reader.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:08 pm
I take a different approach to everything I write.

Unless you're only looking at the numbers, which a lot of people do.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:12 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:

I'm with Rob here. I read the first few of your reviews and while I enjoyed reading a different perspective, taking a consistently negative approach has quickly lost my interest. I haven't bothered to click on the links for the last couple of reviews because I know exactly what I'm going to get. You're free to write whatever you want, but you've already lost one potential reader.

Robert Holloway wrote:
You may be missing the point.
Of course Ken should write about what he wants on HIS blog
But if he posts links here, it suggests he wants comments
I think that writing reviews where he simply trashed popular movies is not going to get much of a readership
I am interested to read about what he likes and why

Rob

Geez, how do you guys think that Straw Critics like the Nostalgia Critic, The Angry Video Game Nerd, Atop the Fourth Wall, Todd in the Shadows or The Spoony Experiment are well-loved despite them not liking stuff on the "proper episodes"....exception being the NC and AVGN every so often but I digress. It's about finding ways to hate something in a humorous fashion. It's not enough to say this sucks, it's enough to cause a nuclear strike with your anger. It's more about being funny than making an actual review outside of "This is bad and here's why". Even for my show, That Other Song(which you people seem to be too good to watch), it's better if I get a song I don't like since I'm reaching to be entertaining when I do like a song like I was during the Aqua review. And while I'm pretty sure Ken has said he hates this kind of thing, I think he's charting the same course where it doesn't matter what he says but how he says it.

So lighten the fuck up, not every review has to be serious or earth-shaking or insightful. They can just be fun.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:39 pm
Ken wrote:

Ken
Here's the issue. If you write a review about a film that is very well trodden and give it 1/10 it tells the reader something about your train of thought.
I'd encourage you to lose the grade and write cryptic titles that draw us in.
Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 pm
Patrick wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
he fuck up, not every review has to be serious or earth-shaking or insightful. They can just be fun.

Patrick

When you post links to the forum inviting people to read your criticism of a movie you'd better be OK about your writing being critiqued. This includes your creepy videos of you in your bathroom :-)

if you don't want comments, don't post links.

I personally like it when people disagree with me. it shows they read something and gave it some thought.

Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:45 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick

When you post links to the forum inviting people to read your criticism of a movie you'd better be OK about your writing being critiqued. This includes your creepy videos of you in your bathroom :-)

if you don't want comments, don't post links.

I personally like it when people disagree with me. it shows they read something and gave it some thought.

Rob

I talk about music now Rob, get with the times. And I do want critiques and criticisms and comments on my stuff but nobody wants to give it except Ed that one time when he just said "It's too long, shorten it" which I'm not really going to do if the material warrants something long.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 pm
I appreciate whatever feedback I can get, but I do not use it as market research. Every step of this cycle of reviews, from the beginning to the end, was planned before it began.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:53 pm
Your reviews are becoming predictable and boring. That's what happens when you only review movies you strongly dislike.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm
Ken wrote:
I appreciate whatever feedback I can get, but I do not use it as market research. Every step of this cycle of reviews, from the beginning to the end, was planned before it began.

Ken

You write beautifully and take on multiple big concepts.
I don't want to come over as not appreciating your efforts, because I do

You piece on Avatar is much bigger than a review of the film, it's more about the way we think about film on a larger scale

Can i offer a thought?

I think that by posing your very thoughtful ideas as film reviews with ratings you do yourself a disservice.

Please keep posting links!
Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm
Ken wrote:

The numbers do, however, align with the tone of the review. As for the negativity, I have no problem with the reviews myself. So continue the trend. Or, don't.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 pm
New review: Gran Torino.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:38 pm

I stick by previous comments
I read your review - more out of duty than pleasure
I'm not a huge fan of this film, but 2/10?
I respect your right to write anything you like
But I assume by posting links you want us to read it
You just lose a little more credibility each time

8.3 on IMDB
80% on RT
72% on Metacritic
2/10 from yourself

The best reviews are usually written by people making a case for a film that is not popular rather than the reverse. these reviews usually have genuinely fresh insight rather than bitter criticism

Try something different and tell us to like a film you love when it's likely we may not.

Rob

Sun May 01, 2011 9:56 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

8.3 on IMDB
80% on RT
72% on Metacritic
2/10 from yourself

The best reviews are usually written by people making a case for a film that is not popular rather than the reverse. these reviews usually have genuinely fresh insight rather than bitter criticism

Try something different and tell us to like a film you love when it's likely we may not.

Rob

Ahhh, but to get the full experience you have to read these reviews a couple of days after they come out. The limited comments double the pleasure.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

8.3 on IMDB
80% on RT
72% on Metacritic
2/10 from yourself

Rob

Ahhh, but to get the full experience you have to read these reviews a couple of days after they come out. The limited comments double the pleasure.

I don't wish Ken bad. I just wish he'd try and find something positive to write about and extol it's virtues. learning something new about something you may not have considered is far more interesting that reading someone trying to trash movies that are already generally liked.

Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm
While I don't defend Gran Torino as a great work of cinema, I do think Ken is sorely missing something. I'm pretty sure all those dumbed down cliches were left in there on purpose, and I felt the film takes itself much less seriously than implied in the review. It's important to keep in mind that part of the reason this movie was made was for it to be an homage to Eastwood's "tough guy" acting career.

You have 9 film reviews, but the highest rated film is 5/10? Seems like your being scathing just for the sake of being scathing.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:49 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I'm pretty sure all those dumbed down cliches were left in there on purpose,
On purpose or by accident, they have the same effect.

Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 am
Ken wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I'm pretty sure all those dumbed down cliches were left in there on purpose,
On purpose or by accident, they have the same effect.

So if something is done tongue in cheek it has the same effect as something that's done to be taken seriously? :roll:

Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next