Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Ken's Blog 
Post Re: My Life
In response to Ken's review, when I say a film is overrated, i'm not criticizing people for liking it, i'm merely saying that I don't get what the big deal about the film is. As for Back To The Future, I haven't seen it for quite a long time and i'm not sure how i'd feel about it after a rewatch, but I do remember liking it and the sequels well enough.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:34 am
I think I'm the only one who thinks that the dark BTTF2 is he best of the trilogy

Rob

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
I think I'm the only one who thinks that the dark BTTF2 is he best of the trilogy

Rob

I think I might've liked that one the best as well.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:58 am
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Oooooh - I so admired the studio and creative team for taking such a risk with this "happy" franchise.
Of course, part 3 was back into happy territory
Rob

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Oooooh - I so admired the studio and creative team for taking such a risk with this "happy" franchise.
Of course, part 3 was back into happy territory
Rob

Yeah, part 3 is the one I remember the least, the train sequence at the end is the only thing I remember well about that film.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:24 am
Wrote a new review: To Kill A Mockingbird.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:58 pm
The Phantom Menace.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Ken

Nice blog, I have book marked and will read with interest.
Only scanned so far
I like that you take a contrarian view
Looking forward to this

Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Just a comment

Write about a movie you love versus trashing everything. People prefer to read that

Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Write about a movie you love versus trashing everything. People prefer to read that
What leads you to believe that?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:20 pm
Ken, I thought you said you liked the prequel trilogy? :?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Ken wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Taking shots at other people's work is ultimately tiresome

Finding new angles on stuff you love is enlightening and enriching

Ask yourself this...

Would you rather read an insight into why something you may not have considered, is art

or

an article trashing something you don't really care that much about

I think the answer is obvious

the problem is that insight is harder

Good luck!
Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:01 am
Ken wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

I dislike constant negativity.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 am
I have no doubt that you guys enjoy positive reviews, but it's quite another thing to extrapolate that into a broad generalization.

Furthermore, I don't believe that negative reviews are intrinsically less worthy as criticism than positive reviews. The ultimate opinion of the critic, in itself, has nothing to do with the quality of the criticism.

Vexer wrote:

There are far worse movies, and that's the thing a lot of people have trouble with.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 am
Ken wrote:
I have no doubt that you guys enjoy positive reviews, but it's quite another thing to extrapolate that into a broad generalization.

Furthermore, I don't believe that negative reviews are intrinsically less worthy as criticism than positive reviews. The ultimate opinion of the critic, in itself, has nothing to do with the quality of the criticism.

Vexer wrote:

There are far worse movies, and that's the thing a lot of people have trouble with.

Ken
I am sorry, but you are missing the point
Negative reviews are fine if they are part of a collection
Your job is not to trash movies that we don't want to see

There is no valuer in that - nobody will keep reading reviews that tell them not to do somehting

Your job on your blog is this

Inspire us to watch a movie with your passion and writing skills

I don't care what the movie is - I just want to feel you, your passion and what you think I should watch
So be passionate about what you care about versus sniping what you don't.

We'll enjoy it more and so will you
Trust me
Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:59 am
I have exactly one job, and that's to write what's on my mind.

And a blog is arguably a collection.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 am
Ken wrote:
I have exactly one job, and that's to write what's on my mind.

And a blog is arguably a collection.

I agree with that

But really, after many years, what is on your mind is to write extensively about a piece of crap called "The Phantom Menace"?

Is your site all about trashing ten year old movies that are considered disasters? If you're trying to establish a user base this may not be a good strategy

But that said, I do wish you well
Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 am
To date, this edition of my blog has seven posted reviews. In my observation, the films in question run the gamut from well-received to universally loathed. The Phantom Menace seems to be the only one so far that even hits that end of the spectrum, and my conclusion essentially differs from that of its harshest critics. As for the ages of the films, that's irrelevant.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 am
I think you guys are being silly, Ken should be able to review whatever the hell he wants, after all it is HIS blog and he's not focused on trying to please you guys, he just wants to write about whatever's on his mind, isn't that the whole point of a blog in the first place?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 am
I'm genuinely shocked that Ken is responding to comments/queries about his reviews. That's the first time this has happened. Kind of kills my social experiment theory. But not really.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next