25) Christian Ponder
26) Akeem Ayers
27) Kyle Rudolph
28) Andy Dalton
29) Danny Watkins
30) Jabaal Sheard
31) James Carpenter
32) Aaron Williams

Btw I expect to be wrong on around 20-25 of these.

So, discuss the draft.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 pm
Director

Post Re: 2011 NFL Draft
Reactions:

1) Panthers pick Cam Newton
Grade: F
Cam Newton is basically a thin JaMarcus Russell. He is very inaccurate as a passer and has character flags aplenty. He won't grasp an NFL playbook. Basically, take Ben Roethlisburger, keep the character issues, and take away the accuracy. He's a bust.

2) Broncos select Von Miller
Grade: B-
I think Von Miller will be a good player. I think that he would be much better on a 3-4 defense. The Broncos will use a 4-3. Marcellus Dareus would've been better.

3) Bills select Marcell Dareus
Grade: A-
Very good, sensible pick. Dareus probably should've been the number one overall pick. As long as he stays healthy, he will be a force.

4) Bengals select AJ Green
The Bengals may not have a QB, but they now have a receiver. Green isn't quite the physical specimen that Calvin Johnson is, but he's close. Good receivers can make an average QB look better.

5) Cardinals select Patrick Peterson
Grade: A+
Peterson is the best player in this draft. The Cardinals are wise to go with this and build their defense and not worry about forcing the QB issue.

6) Falcons select Julio Jones
Grade: C-
They gave up a lot to take a workout warrior who can't catch. Bad move.

7) 49ers select Aldon Smith
Grade: C
Hmm...I think this is high for him. I expect him to be a disappointment.

8) Titans select Jake Locker
Grade: D
Ok, Locker is a tough player and mobile. He's kind of like Jake Plummer. He should be a second round draft pick. This is a big mistake.

9) Cowboys select Tyron Smith
Grade: B+
This is a good pick. Dallas needed an upgrade at offensive line and he will give it to them.

10) Jacksonville selects Blaine Gabbert
It's good to put Gabbert in a situation where he can sit for a year or two. It's bad to trade up to do so. Gabbert isn't any better than Ponder. Jacksonville was wise to get a QB of the future but they could've done it in the second round.

11) Houston selects JJ Watt
Grade: B
Ok, I think JJ Watt is going to be a good player, possibly very good. He'll help their line. I would've gone with Prince Amakalongnamea but this will still help their team.

12) Vikings select Christian Ponder
I'm sorry but this is a huge reach. Ponder is a second round talent. It's risky. They should've filled needs.

13) Lions select Nick Fairley
Wow. The Lions are going to have an absolutely sick front line. As in, the very best in the NFL. Suh is the best DT, and their ends are very good. If Fairley pans out, that will be an impenetrable force.

14) Rams select Robert Quinn
This is a good value. Quinn could've been 5 to 7 picks higher. That really improves their DLine.

15) Dolphins select Mike Pouncey
Solid pick, solid lineman.

16) Redskins select Ryan Kerrigan
Ok, I think that Kerrigan should be a 4-3 lineman and not a 3-4 linebacker. He'll still be a solid player.

17) Patriots select Nate Solder
Solder has a lot of potential and the Patriots are wise to start to retool their offensive line. He can learn for a year or so.

18) Chargers select Corey Liugit
Good pick to fill a definite need

19) NY Giants select Prince Amukamara
Great pick, guy that should've gone in the top 12. The Giants got a great deal here.

20) Bucs select Adrian Clayborn
Medical issues are concerning. I think there were safer picks and perhaps better picks left on the board.

21) Browns select Phil Taylor
Really big guy, but I can't imagine they had to trade up this high to get him. High bust potential. Plus he doesn't fit a 4-3 as much as a 3-4.

22) Colts select Anthony Castonzo
They addressed their biggest need with a solid, unspectacular player. Wise pick.

23) Eagles select Danny Watkins
Hmmm...Interesting pick, a bit old but might well come in and be a quality guard.

24) Saints select Cameron Jordan
Very good pick, a guy that could've gone a lot higher. He'll be very good.

25) Seahawks select James Carpenter
Major reach. Better players were left on the board. Lots of them.

26) Chiefs select Jon Baldwin
I thought Baldwin was going to go in the second round and be a steal. He's not so much a steal here, but I think Baldwin will be a productive receiver.

27) Ravens select Jimmy Smith
Smith is a straight up thug. He's also a terrific cornerback. Most likely to be Sean Taylor'd.

28) Saints select Mark Ingram
Solid pick, lets them have the luxury of letting Reggie Bush go if he asks for too much money. Hope he can catch as well as he can run.

29) Chicago selects Gabe Carimi
My guess is that he'll be a solid tackle.

30) Jets select Mohammad Wilkerson
Great fit for their 3-4.

31) Steelers select Cameron Heyward
Great pick, Heyward will probably start early and often.

32) Packers select Derek Sherrod
Solid pick.

Last edited by firefly on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 pm
I'm thinkin the Jets should've traded out of the 1st round.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm
Since no one else seems to care, I'll indulge by good pal firefly. I wish I had been here last night to play along. Also, I just quoted you 32 separate times only to find out that my post exceeded the character limit. That's great. This isn't going to be a pain in the ass to fix or anything...

1) Panthers pick Cam Newton

I thought Mel Kiper (a guy I dislike) summed this pick up quite well last night when it was made. The Panthers have to hit a home run with this pick. It's a huge gamble and if Newton ends up being a bust (which I also think he will), it'll set them back years.

2) Broncos select Von Miller

Agreed again. The rumor is they're looking to get a DT in Round 2, which makes sense. Dareus could have easily been the #1 overall pick, and he would have immensely helped the Broncos. Miller is being compared to Derrick Thomas, which can only be a good thing. Still, the interior of the defensive line was where Denver was at it's weakest. I'd go B+ because I think Miller is going to be really, really good, but don't disagree that it was still the wrong pick.

3) Bills select Marcell Dareus

The Bills any sort of help they can get on defense. A very solid pick. They'll still suck, though.

4) Bengals select AJ Green

He was slotted to go to the Bengals for months, and he did. No surprise, as TO and Ochocinco aren't likely to be back. He and Jordan Shipley should compliment each other well and be an excellent tandem in a few years. Now if they only had someone to throw them the ball.

5) Cardinals select Patrick Peterson

Agreed. The only thing I'll add is that as a Philly fan, I can only hope they'll be stupid enough to trade him to us for Kolb once players are allowed to be traded. I know it's ridiculous, but I'm hoping they made this pick for us.

6) Falcons select Julio Jones

Jones had a hell of a year at Alabama last season, he's not just a workout warrior. Still, he does have inconsistent hands and the Falcons gave up entirely too much to get him. I'm not sure why they were so enamored with a WR when they need a good deal of help on the other side of the ball.

7) 49ers select Aldon Smith

A definite reach. There were about 3-4 other DEs ranked ahead of him. Maybe they see something in him others don't. Or maybe they're just the 49ers.

8) Titans select Jake Locker

This and the Ponder pick is going to be how this draft is remembered. Teams panicked and reach much too early for QBs. Locker could be a solid QB, but there's no reason to reach for him this early. It's an indefensible move.

9) Cowboys select Tyron Smith

It pains me to say it, but they made a great pick here. They got the best tackle in the draft at a position of need. Just a very sound, smart pick.

10) Jacksonville selects Blaine Gabbert

Agreed. The key is giving up the second round pick here. It's likely one of the two (Gabbert or Ponder) would have been available in their original spot at 16. Instead, they give up their second round pick to grab a falling player. That's never a good strategy. If other teams don't want him, it's likely because he's not that good. And Gabbert isn't that good.

11) Houston selects JJ Watt

I thought this was an odd choice. They're switching to the 3-4, and there were a lot of DE/OLB types available graded higher than Watt available. They hit a big need with the pick, I'm just not so sure they took the right guy.

12) Vikings select Christian Ponder

The worst pick in the first round. As a Maryland fan, I've seen this kid play many, many times, and never once did I think he looked like a first round pick (let alone #12 overall!). This is the kind of reach that is just unforgivable. He's a second round pick, at best. Unreal.

13) Lions select Nick Fairley

Fairely was the best penetrating DT in the draft. Pairing him with Suh is almost going to be unfair. I don't know how teams are expected to block these two terrors. The Lions are the biggest beneficiaries of teams reaching for QBs. Prince probably fit a bigger need for them, but the opportunity to create this kind of D line was too good to pass up. This pick is going to pay HUGE dividends for them.

14) Rams select Robert Quinn

Good value pick. Spags loves his defensive linemen so Quinn should fit right in.

15) Dolphins select Mike Pouncey

Yup, solid and unexciting. However, all the QB reaching probably stopped Miami for taking one this early. Good for them.

16) Redskins select Ryan Kerrigan

Agreed. He isn't athletic enough to play in the 3-4, but he's should still be an upgrade from Lorenzo Alexander. Alexander's a defensive lineman that was asked to play 3-4 OLB and had trouble all year. This, along with NT, was their biggest need coming in to the draft. I'd give this pick an A considering they addressed the need and picked up an extra second rounder.

17) Patriots select Nate Solder

He might be playing sooner rather than later if they don't resign Matt Light. Either way, Light is older and this was a solid pick from a team with few needs. A 3-4 DE was probably a more pressing need, but LT protects Brady's blind side, so it's a good investment.

18) Chargers select Corey Liugit

Another unsexy, solid pick. They could use WR help, but there's no one worth taking a 18 overall.

19) Giants select Prince Amukamara

This broke my heart. He was sliding, and I was being careful not to mention it all night as I was watching in the hopes that he'd fall to Philly. Then the motherfucking New York Giants get him. Fuck that team.

20) Bucs select Adrian Clayborn

The medical issues and the lack of explosive athleticism are concerning. If they didn't mind taking a guy with medical question marks, why not take Bowers? If they both stay healthy, Bowers will be the better player, without question.

21) Browns select Phil Taylor

An odd guy to trade up for. Like you said, a better fit for the 3-4. I thought the Redskins might land him in round 2. Instead, he goes 21st overall. I guess Cleveland felt like gambling since Atlanta gave them all those extra picks.

22) Colts select Anthony Castonzo

Excellent pick. The Colts are always so smart. He should help with their dreadful running game. I'd say he'd help keep Peyton upright, but Peyton rarely gets sacked or even hit because he gets the ball out so quickly. He should help give Peyton a bit more time and allow him to hold the ball for another half second or so.

23) Eagles select Danny Watkins

He's 26! His pro career is half over and it hasn't even started yet! Still, he's a lineman on the right side, which is Vick's blind side, and that's exactly where we need help. Hopefully he can play tackle, but he's probably a guard. I like the strategy, if not the actual pick. I had been saying Jimmy Smith or a lineman for months, so I'm glad we went with one.

24) Saints select Cameron Jordan

Another nice value pick. Teams seemed high on him coming into the draft, so it was surprising to see him fall back so far. The Saints needed a pass rusher and got one.

25) Seahawks select James Carpenter

Big time reach. Seattle stinks, I hate that they made the playoffs last year.

26) Chiefs select Jon Baldwin

If he can contribute, their offense should take off. Bowe and Charles are already electric. They just need solid production from Baldwin and they should have an elite offense. A bit of a reach, but if he pays off, it'll be worth it.

27) Ravens select Jimmy Smith

If the Eagles can't address CB through free agency or a trade, then not taking Smith very well may have cost them a shot at a Super Bowl. Nice grab by the always intelligent Ravens. A major talent that can be brought along mentally by the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. This might end up being the steal of the draft if Smith can stay out of trouble.

28) Saints select Mark Ingram

Bush is all but gone. He was due to make over $11 million this year. Maybe he renegotiates his deal, but why keep him? He's just not very good. The Saints traded their first rounder next year for this pick, so I'm guessing Ingram is the guy now. He and Chris Ivory should give them a bit more balance.

29) Chicago selects Gabe Carimi

Meh. Decent pick. They need WR help too, but there's no one to take here. Their line had big issues at times last season, so this is a solid pick. They got a guy pegged to go in the early 20s, so they got good value too.

30) Jets select Mohammad Wilkerson

Perfect pick, especially with Phil Taylor from Baylor off the board.

31) Steelers select Cameron Heyward

He's playing for Dick Lebeau, he'll be good.

32) Packers select Derek Sherrod

Yup. Solid.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 pm
Director

Yay I thought everyone would ignore the thread :cry:

I agree about the QBs. Tbh, I think that if teams were behaving rationally, Newton would be a late first rounder, Gabbert would be early second round. Locker would be mid 2nd, Ponder would be late 2nd. Dalton and Mallet would be 3rd round. Kapernik would be 4th round. It's amazing how teams reached on QBs.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:57 pm
Director

Second round analysis:
Patriots select Ras I Dowling
Good cornerback (this year seems to be very strong for CBs). It addresses a need for the Patriots.

Bills select Aaron Williams
I'd seen some mocks with Williams as a late first rounder. Apparently he may have to move to safety. I think he'll be a decent starter.

Bengals select Andy Dalton
Really Dalton should be a late second round or third round pick but the Bengals get points for not biting on him in the first round. They already have given him talent to throw to with AJ Green and their past draft picks.

49ers select Colin Kaepernick
I just can't help but compare Kaepernick to Kevin O'Connell, another big, athletic and raw QB who got drafted way too early. And yes, who flamed out. Kaepernick has a ton of potential but he's very raw. He probably won't be ready to start for two years. Meanwhile, who's going to play QB for them? Mallet may be fond of cocaine but he's more ready to play.

Browns select Jabaal Sheard
I may be a little more fond of him than some but I think Sheard can be a 10 sack a year player. The Browns need help in a lot of different places.

Cardinals select Ryan Williams
Grade: C+
Hmmm...ok, Beanie Wells hasn't exactly been all that great, but the Cardinals need a lot of help in a lot of areas, and I wouldn't have put RB up there. They should have picked...

Titans pick Akeem Ayers
Ayers was seen as a first round talent until some workouts were meh. I wouldn't be worried about that. He might compete for defensive rookie of the year.

Cowboys select Bruce Carter
Hmmm...if you want to draft a player with injury issues, why not go with Bowers, who would've otherwise been a top 10 pick?

Redkins select Jarvis Jenkins
Solid, unspectacular pick.

Texans select Brooks Reed
Grade: A
Another guy who will compete for rookie of the year, and who really gives the Texans a solid linebacking crew.

Minnesota selects Kyle Rudolph
Rudolph isn't a first round talent but is a good second pick who can step in to start after a year.

Detroit selects Titus Young
Small and not fast enough to make up for it (see: Troy Edwards). Young won't do anything in the pros. I thought Detroit was over picking sucky receivers but I guess not. They should've stuck to defense.

Denver selects Rahim Moore
I predict he'll be a quality starter.

Denver selects Orlando Franklin
A bit of a reach and a guy who may lack the athleticism to be a starting tackle.

St Louis selects Lance Kendricks
Everything about this guy says backup. He is not good enough to be a quality starter.

Oakland selects Stefen Wisniewski
I think he will be a good starting center. They nabbed two starting linemen in last year's draft and now another. I'm honestly shocked they didn't nab Mallet.

Indianapolis selects Ben Ijalana
Second lineman pick for the Colts, and another that I see starting.

San Diego selects Marcus Gilchrist
Good athlete, and he could become a good starting cornerback.

Tampa Bay selects DaQuan Bowers
Grade: A
Maybe he's a one contract player. He's a one contract player with legit top 10 talent. However long he plays, he will likely be an impact player. Great pick.

NYG select Marvin Austin
Austin has the talent of a mid first rounder.

Chicago selects Stephen Paea
Paea is ridiculously strong, maybe the strongest guy in the NFL. That being said, he doesn't have the skills to be a first rounder. If he can develop his skill level to match his physical traits, he will become an outstanding DT. I think he will. Reason? Samoans tend to turn out well.

Eages select Jaiquawn Jarrett
Solid pick

Chiefs select Rodney Hudson
The Chiefs needed to upgrade the OL and this pick does it.

Detroit selects Mikel LeShoure
Umm...ok. They spent a first round pick on a RB last year. Now they spend a second round pick on one this year. They hit their first pick out of the park. The next two have been foul balls.

New England selects Shane Vereen
Grade: C+
Versatile guy, but the Patriots already have smaller versatile guys. So...

Ravens select Torrey Smith
The Ravens had a bunch of old, slow receivers. Smith is a fast one and I think he will turn out to be a very good pro player.

Browns select Greg Little
More an athlete than a player right now. It's weird that Donnovan Dickerson was a better version of this guy and went much later last year. Little could turn out to be a steal.

Houston selects Brandon Harris
Well, Houston desperately needed an upgrade at CB and should've drafted Prince Amukamara in the first round. I'm not too sold on Harris.

San Diego selects Jonas Mouton
Grade: F
Career special teams player. A reach among reaches.

Miami picks Daniel Thomas
Hmmm...bit of a fumbler, not all that experienced. Has some upside.

Steelers select Marcus Gilbert
Great value out of this one, Gilbert looks like a quality starter in the NFL.

Packers select Randall Cobb
My guess is Aaron Rodgers is going to get this guy the ball a lot.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:22 pm
A few thoughts:

Cam Newton may not be quite the bust some envisioned, but it's obvious that Carolina did everything they could to not take him. Von Miller and Dareus both have issues and while Peterson is a stud, that's too high for a defensive back. They had to do what they did since they couldn't trade the pick. And let's remember, Newton is not exceptionally different than Mike Vick at this stage. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a bust, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Gabbert, Locker and Ponder are career backups at best. Nothing to see here.

The Colts, Chiefs and Saints all got exactly what they needed in Round 1.

On Julio Jones: Yeah, he's a workout stud, but not in the way some are. He performed in games his whole career and he killed it in the workouts while being very hurt. Also, it's very important to remember that it's not like he's going to Carolina to be Newton's #1 guy, he's stepping in to play alongside an All-Pro receiver. He could thrive.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:00 pm
Director

The more I see Ryan Mallet, the more I understand why so many teams passed on him. He looks like he spends his evenings putting stuff up his nose. He won't be long for the league.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:09 am
Here you go firefly, my take on a couple of picks:

I am a 6th year at Auburn University. (2 majors, Chemical Engineering and Econ + I'm just taking my sweet time). Anyway a lot were skeptical of Cam and his abilities, but I went to every single game this past season (including the NC) and I can tell you he is absolutely electrifying to watch in person. He is fully able to carry that chip on his shoulder and get the job done. I think a lot of why the panthers chose him was because they need a player to put fans in the seats. Last year, fan turnout was horrible. They should sell out some games now, just because people want to see what he can do! Also, he is just a freak of nature athletically and he is fully capable of being a standout player in the league...we'll just have to see if that ego gets in the way.

Julio Jones: Basically, the Falcons said "screw the long term, we are going after a superbowl in the next 2 seasons" and I for one can't fault them for that. With Matty ice, White, Turner, and now Julio, they are absolutely loaded on offense...just hope there defense can keep up. I expect a lot of shootouts, and a lot of bets on the over this coming season.
...Oh ya, Julio Jones is capable of being sick...he tore Auburn's heart out the first half this past iron bowl.

Nick Fairley: I love this pick by the Lions. He and Suh should form a healthy relationship and become a dominant duo of the league. QBs will and should fear this record capable line.

Locker: Can't see where all the hate came from.

Ingram: Was surprised a heisman winning RB went this high in the first but I guess teams are worried about that injury.

Mallet: I love this pick by the Patriots. They might have gotten the steal of the draft. All mallet has to do is go get paid to watch and learn from the absolute best in the League. If he can do that and keep his head right, his stock will rise tremendously and he will either take over the reigns having been learning the system for a few years, or be traded for some good players/picks.

Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Can someone explain a what a draft is to me please? Someone that I work with also explained in some American sports, the players are owned by a third party (agent) rather than the team. Is this the case with the NFL?

Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 am
Arron wrote:
Can someone explain a what a draft is to me please? Someone that I work with also explained in some American sports, the players are owned by a third party (agent) rather than the team. Is this the case with the NFL?

If this is actually a serious question and I'm not being suckered into a sarcastic response, a draft is where the 4 major American professional sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) take turns selecting new players for each new season. In the NFL for instance, there are 7 rounds of 32 picks each (because there are 32 NFL teams). Teams get to pick in order that they finished last season, last place picking first and the Superbowl winner picking last. Each team has 10 min. to pick one person, depending on the person they need to fill a position most on their team. Teams may also trade players and next years picks for higher picks this season, etc. So for instance, the Carolina Panthers took Auburn University QB Cam Newton as the first overall pick. They got to pick first because they finished in last place for the 2010 season. Next it was the Denver Bronco's turn and they selected Von Miller.

The players are not owned by a third party. The players have agents that represent them. It is the agent's job to negotiate and secure the players contract (yearly salary), bonuses, endorsement deals, etc.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:26 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

It was a genuine question. I had absolutely no idea what it means. So essentially, the team that did worst last season, can pick one of the best players for their team before anyone else gets them? If that's the case, that makes for quite an interesting league where parhaps no particular team will dominate (I'm probably wrong there, I have no idea about American sports teams/leagues). I guess I was just a little bit intrigued.

Oh and thanks for the help!

Wed May 04, 2011 5:24 am
Quote:
So essentially, the team that did worst last season, can pick one of the best players for their team before anyone else gets them? If that's the case, that makes for quite an interesting league where parhaps no particular team will dominate

That is exactly the premise behind a draft; in principal every year all teams should be able to compete. Teams are still able to dominate however because players may end up not producing like they should, injuries, personal troubles, etc.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 pm
Arron wrote:
So essentially, the team that did worst last season, can pick one of the best players for their team before anyone else gets them? If that's the case, that makes for quite an interesting league where parhaps no particular team will dominate (I'm probably wrong there, I have no idea about American sports teams/leagues).

It's supposed to work out that way, but it usually doesn't (unless you're playing Madden). More often than not you see 1st round draft picks fade into obscurity while later round picks become superstars. This generally occurs more often with offensive positions (especially amongst running backs and quarterbacks). Sometimes, however, first round picks live up to the hype.

Combined with the salary cap and structure of the draft, though, I'd say that the NFL probably does the best job of keeping things competitive across the board (though I think the nature of the game has something to do with that as well). Unlike the MLB, which remains the only sport without some sort of salary cap. Not too sure about basketball and hockey, though.

To paraphrase Bill Maher, "the only thing Americans have gotten right for the past fifty years is that we knew soccer was bullshit"
:lol:

Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Arron wrote:
So essentially, the team that did worst last season, can pick one of the best players for their team before anyone else gets them? If that's the case, that makes for quite an interesting league where parhaps no particular team will dominate (I'm probably wrong there, I have no idea about American sports teams/leagues).

It's supposed to work out that way, but it usually doesn't (unless you're playing Madden). More often than not you see 1st round draft picks fade into obscurity while later round picks become superstars. This generally occurs more often with offensive positions (especially amongst running backs and quarterbacks). Sometimes, however, first round picks live up to the hype.

Combined with the salary cap and structure of the draft, though, I'd say that the NFL probably does the best job of keeping things competitive across the board (though I think the nature of the game has something to do with that as well). Unlike the MLB, which remains the only sport without some sort of salary cap. Not too sure about basketball and hockey, though.

To paraphrase Bill Maher, "the only thing Americans have gotten right for the past fifty years is that we knew soccer was bullshit"
:lol:

You're not wrong, but the NFL certainly has much more parity than any other league. At least there's a salary cap.

Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 am
There is a salary cap in the MLB too. It's a percentage of your team's total net worth I thought? Anyway, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox just break the cap and pay what amounts to a small fine so they can load up on the best talent.

What is really funny though is that the two highest paid athletes in the world are golfers. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. Woods still banks close to $100 mil a year and Phil about $50-60 mill a year. THAT IS PER YEAR FOLKS!!! A lot of cheese just to hit a little white ball into a little round cup. Damn I have got to get better so I can get my tour card!!!!!!!

Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
There is a salary cap in the MLB too. It's a percentage of your team's total net worth I thought? Anyway, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox just break the cap and pay what amounts to a small fine so they can load up on the best talent.

Baseball has a luxury tax, not a salary cap. You're right about teams going over the threshold paying a fine. Last year the number was $170 million, with only the Yankees going over ($200 million). The luxury tax in baseball is no where near as strict as it is in other sports. Take basketball for example. If an NBA team goes over the cap, the pay a luxury tax of a dollar for every dollar they go over the cap. If the cap is $60 million dollars and they have $70 million in salary, they pay another $10 million to the league for the luxury tax. In baseball, the first time a team goes over the threshold, they pay a fine of 22.5% of the amount they went over. The second time 30%, and the three or more bumps it to 40%. So, if an MLB team is $10 million over the threshold, they pay a max of $4 million to the luxury tax.

For a team like the Yankees (who go over almost every year), that small penalty is nothing. They're already paying double (or more) than what most teams are paying in salary, what's another few million? They more than make up for it simply by being in New York. Even with revenue sharing, the big market teams have a significant advantage. It's why you see teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, etc. in the playoffs most years. They have the money to pay better players, so they're usually better.

Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 am
I thought Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson make most of their money through endorsements? that 100-mil a year for tiger and 60 mil a year for Mickelson can't be just through winning (winnings are based on how good you do in the tournament).

I'd make the argument that golf is easily amongst the most difficult sports. It may not require the athleticism of other sports, but that doesn't make it any less challenging. Probably harder than baseball, football, and basketball combined.

Thu May 05, 2011 1:52 pm
Peachy, thanks for the clarification...I knew it was something like that.

[quote]I thought Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson make most of their money through endorsements? that 100-mil a year for tiger and 60 mil a year for Mickelson can't be just through winning (winnings are based on how good you do in the tournament).

I'd make the argument that golf is easily amongst the most difficult sports. It may not require the athleticism of other sports, but that doesn't make it any less challenging. Probably harder than baseball, football, and basketball combined.[/quote

Yes, Tiger and Phil do make most of there money through endorsements, I was just sharing those numbers because they are insane to me. And, ya, I would definitely say that golf is the most difficult sport...(well Ice Hockey has to be pretty damn hard, but I've never played that so).

Tiger (well tiger before 2010) was probably making $10-15 mill/year if you just count tournament winnings. What is awesome though is if you win the Fedex Cup, $10 mill goes into an investment retirement account (pga golfers have by far the best retirement package of any athlete). Tiger has won it 3 times I think which puts $30 mill strictly into a mucho appreciating investment account. Some analysts were saying that if he won it a few more times, by the time he reached retirement, (and including his other deals) he would be well over a billionaire!!

But take an average guy on the pga tour. One guy I know from Auburn, Jason Dufner, has been on the nationwide/PGA tour since 2004 and has made close to $7 mill in career earnings. That equals out to about $1 mill a year; and guess what? He has never won a tournament. Just goes to show that if you play decent and make some cuts, you can make a damn good living just playing golf.

Damn...went from NFL draft, to baseball salary, to golf...nice thread

Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 pm