Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 pm

New Years Resolutions, four months in 
Post New Years Resolutions, four months in
Well, I'm curious how many of you are reaching your New Years' weight loss goals. At the start of the year I was around 190-195lbs. At my morning weigh-in today I'm at 164lbs -still on my way to 155. This week I started running. The first time out was painful. I had muscles aching that I didn't know were there. Shit, I haven't run since a year starting with a 1 9 8. -and back then it was under high levels of reluctance. I still wish a bad mattress upon those PE teachers.

The cycling has improved in ways of recovery, i.e. 30 seconds of 'rest' in the form of easier laboring and I'm recovered enough for the next 'attack'. I still need to push the thresholds (lactate, aerobic, etc) a bit higher, but two days ago we had a couple inches of snow on everything. That makes for some seriously undermined incentive.

Running is a lot different from cycling as 100% of a person's weight lands and is pushed off by ONE foot with every stride. I hadn't thought about the physics or kineseology of it before, so I've been reading back issues of "Runner's World" from the library. I've been doing cycles of one-minute running (none of this shuffle-pseudo-run-crap either) and 45 seconds of fast walk. Within a few weeks I expect to be up to a few minutes of running and minimal (if any) fast walk for recovery. Next week the weather should permit biking to work. -The price of gas will hugely encourage that!- I'm only 8 weeks out from my double century day at this point and feeling pretty good about it.

How are everybody else's goals coming along?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:23 pm
Post Re: New Years Resolutions, four months in
Started the year smoking a pack of ciggs every 2 days. Now one lasts me a week. Still not ideal (which would be not smoking at all) but the savings are just so much that I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I don't need to buy that pack for the week at all.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 pm
Cinematographer

Not much movement on my weight. I'm at 195 now - I think I started the year at 206 or so. Exercise wise I'm doing much better. Started adding some jogging intervals with my walks. Couldn't jog 200 yards when I started trying a month ago. Now I can jog the 2 mile loop around work with just two short walk intervals. Hope to be making the whole 2 miles within the next few weeks.

My heart rate is doing much better. On eliptical trainers or stationary bikes I started with speed intervals at level 4 (out of 20) for 45 minutes and my heart rate would climb over 150 on the last hard cycle. Now I'm at level 7 and my heart rate max was 135 today. Slow progress with a long way to go, but progress nonetheless for a 48 year old eight months off of bypass surgery. Life is good.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 pm
Im the oppersite, im trying to put weight on, have been at 80kg (176 pounds) forever.. i lift weights a lot but my eatting is fail, i dont eat enough. So far im up to 81.4kg (179.1 pounds) and am holding the weight instead of it falling off like it tends too. The 36 eggs a day is helping!

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:58 am
I stated off weighing 200 lb's.
Now I weigh 185 lb's
I am 5 foot 8. That means I have a BMI of 28.1
My target shoudl be to get to a BMI of 25.
To achieve this I will have to get to 164 lbs.
I have so far being trainnig for a half marathon.
I have completed my first one in 2 hrs 42 minutes./
I have a 10k run coming up in July.
I am hoping the training for hat will help with the weight loss.

Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 am
Good job 604!
-I've been super tied up with work and home life and just read your post.
Training for a marathon can only help you as long as you are careful with your ankles, knees and hips. Be super aware of what you use to refuel after a run, as this is rebuilding material. Let us know how your 10K in July goes.

I'm not sure I could do a 5K at this point, much less a 10K or half marathon. Nice work!!

Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm