Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm

The Rolling Stones 
Director

Post The Rolling Stones
Seeing as there is a thread here for the Beatles, it makes sense to do one for the Stones.

In the Beatles vs Stones question, I would say that the Beatles were musically superior and more innovative than the Stones. The Stones however were better at playing straightforward rock and roll.

Musically The Stones hit a peak in the period between 1968-1972. They would match that peak occasionally since with Some Girls and Tattoo You. Yet Tattoo was also their last great album. Yet each album they've done has at least one song I like (Undercover had the kickass title track, Bridges To Babylon had Saint Of Me).

Finally I will say that I prefer Keith's solo outings to Mick's, they seem far more natural than Mick's attempts at competing with whatever is popular at the moment.

Further thoughts on Martin Scorsese's favorite band? Let's hear em.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm
Post Re: The Rolling Stones
I've been a Stones fan for longer than i care to remember. Exile on Main Street is my personal fave. Hard to believe that next year it's 40 years old.

I never loved the Beatles. Always admired them though.

Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 pm
The Beatles and Rolling Stones are apples and oranges. Because they both hail from the UK and same era they get lumped together. The Stones were a rock n roll band. The Beatles were a boy band that became a rock band. Of the two I prefer the Stones but the Beatles made better music per capita. For every awesome Stones song there's about 5 that aren't so impressive.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 am
I love the Stones, I really do, but shouldn't they have thrown in the towel a while ago? When was the last relevant album they made? (I'm not actually asking; different outlets have different answers to that question.)

I think I stopped acquiring their discography after Tattoo You.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 am
Keith Richards is going to outlive Miley Cyrus.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 am