Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:21 pm

The best place to move if you hate your government? 
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Timmy Shoes wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:
You may think these kinds of people are greedy. But only people with no money claim that money isn't everything.

It's greed on steroids. And that statement is wrong; there are people who are monetarily wealthy who openly admit that money isn't everything.

I myself come from an upper middle class family and still believe that money is the root of all evil. I've been blessed to be born into a privileged life, but I don't feel like I deserve it.

And furthermore anyone who actually believes money IS everything is nothing short of a fool.

How many people do you think would choose love over money?

How many people have sacrificed their human soul for the sake of vast profit?

There are things in life money can't buy, and they are infinitely more valuable than earthly possessions.

Also, "it's a state filled with people obsessed with money" should read "it's a state filled with douche bags"

Money may be the root of all evil and it may cause incredible greed, but that is simply because it is everything.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:23 am
Director

Quote:
But South Korea is still officially at war with the North! They just have an armistice. War can resume anytime and almost did recently. With a new dictator set to take over in the North there may be danger.

Yes, they are. However, do you honestly think if an official treaty between the two countries would really solve anything? British PM Neveille Chamberlain waved around a signed treaty from Adolf Hitler saying Germany wouldn't attack any more European countries in the 1930's. Oops. North Korea has also been blowing smoke up everyone's asses for 40 years. There also might be danger from eating oysters and mussels or driving to work. Or exercising. Or flying. Or water skiing. Doesn't mean one is going to stop doing those things.

The reason they keep antagonizing the South is so they can goad the US into 5 party talks, which the US wants no part of. The US wants the countries in that area, primarily South Korea, China, Russia and Japan to handle the stepchild in Pyongyang, which I totally agree with. I've lived there twice and never felt threatened by "war" or whatever North Korea decided to threaten the South with. The first 5 times you hear the North getting riled up about some slight and declaring an act of war, you become concerned; the next 350 times, not so much. Now there was an incident on an island on the border with shelling and some local deaths; that is an isolated incident. As long as you don't go dicking around the border or go hiking in these areas, you'll be fine. While you have concern over the armistice, I don't think the possibility should deter going to a vastly different country with a rich heritage and history. Also, you can take comfort in the fact you'll know when the North is coming should they decide to. As they have no air power, a large army and marshy land between the DMZ and Seoul, they can only come around in the winter as that's when the ground is solid enough to support their tanks and heavy artillery.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:
I recommend somewhere on the French Riviera. Monte Carlo is nice.

and outrageously expensive

If you love the waters and weather of the med, think about the east coast of Spain or Corsica or far south in Italy

Rob

South Italy is mob country--way more corrupt (and with a different dialect of Italian) than northern Italy. I'd actually recommend one of the Balkan countries, eg Croatia, for that, as it's a bit cheaper and likely to be in a better economic situation. Cyprus is also an option.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
How about Japan or Thailand, anyone on here visited there?

Never visited either place. I'd like to visit them both but I doubt I'd enjoy living in either.

Japan: Highest corporate tax rate in the developed world, and not too friendly on the personal tax rate either. As we saw recently, Earthquakes are a big concern. And Japanese is the hardest language to learn. The weather is cool and rainy, not my cup of tea.

Thailand: Bangkok is rather polluted, so while I could definitely stand visiting, I don't think I'd want to reside there long-term. The political situation is unsteady. It gets very humid. It's still developing, really. Thai is not an easy language.

Some thoughts on South America:
Chile is an ok country to live; the climate varies. I think the newer generations basically suck.

Argentina is not the most stable politically, has a crime problem, and has problems with economic growth. Brazilian cities are very unsafe and their political leadership is mostly stupid populists. Peru and Paraguay are poor. Colombia is improving remarkably fast, and Bogata is now safer than LA, but it's still not truly a safe country. Check back in 10 years and you'll find the best country in South America and one of the best in the world. Panama is a good country if you can stand very high humidity. Costa Rica and Venezuela are terrible places ruled by vile dictators.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am
I'm part lizard, I love the humidity. So based on your suggestions it would come down to either Panama or Columbia. I should note that being in a crime addled city doesn't concern me, as I've lived in the Bronx my entire life.

I was also under the impression that Icelandic was the hardest language to learn. At least I heard that somewhere... I'm probably wrong, though.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:07 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
I'm part lizard, I love the humidity. So based on your suggestions it would come down to either Panama or Columbia. I should note that being in a crime addled city doesn't concern me, as I've lived in the Bronx my entire life.

I was also under the impression that Icelandic was the hardest language to learn. At least I heard that somewhere... I'm probably wrong, though.

Icelandic may be the most difficult 'European' language, certainly the most difficult Germanic language for English speakers. But it has a familiar writing system and some recognizable roots. Japanese has three writing systems, very complex grammar and agglutination, and an essentially entirely different vocabulary.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 am
Ooohhh, I think maybe what I heard what that it was the most un-phonetic language next to Irish gaelic. Though I guess for languages that use character-based alphabets like Japanese or Chinese, there's no such thing as phonetics. Or is there?

For all intensive purposes, I should probably limit my choices of places to move to countries that speak either English or Spanish. I'm not opposed to learning a new language, though it would make things easier if I already knew how to speak it!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
Money may be the root of all evil and it may cause incredible greed, but that is simply because it is everything.

Either you've listened to too much mainstream rap, have lived in Connecticut for too long, or are simply naive.

Money only has value because we place that value on it. In the end, it's just paper. Can't provide you with needed calories, and can't buy you love. Sure, it can get you good lookin' pussy, but it won't get you love.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 am
Yesterday I watched a remarkable speech given to graduates at Stanford by Steve Jobs. It runs about 15 minutes and he covers three things:

Connecting the dots in your life to understand what you love and why
Focusing on the things you love
Using death as a focus point

Whether you are Mac lover or hater, this guy can speak in public and his points are very relevant to this thread.

http://www.9to5mac.com/60057/is-your-co ... more-60057

Bear with it because he masterfully brings multiple threads together at the end - and don't jump to the end as you won't get the point.

Rob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
Ooohhh, I think maybe what I heard what that it was the most un-phonetic language next to Irish gaelic. Though I guess for languages that use character-based alphabets like Japanese or Chinese, there's no such thing as phonetics. Or is there?

In terms of the writing script not necessarily reflecting the pronunciation in the most logical way, many languages are bad offenders, English amongst them. Modern Greek is one of the worst. The Chinese writing system isn't an alphabet, nor is the Japanese or Korean writing systems. Korean has a syllabary. Japanese has two syllabaries and a character system in the same way Chinese does. Among the best languages for a straightforward pronunciation of words are Turkish, Swahili, and Indonesian.

Quote:
For all intensive purposes, I should probably limit my choices of places to move to countries that speak either English or Spanish. I'm not opposed to learning a new language, though it would make things easier if I already knew how to speak it!

There's a substantial difference amongst languages. You could probably hold a conversation with an Indonesian speaker after a week of intense study. With Chinese, it takes considerably longer.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 am