Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:09 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The best place to move if you hate your government? 
Author Message
Post The best place to move if you hate your government?
Basically, I want to get the fuck out of the United States while the getting is good. I despise our government and am disgusted by our culture (or lack thereof).

I could do a grocery list of all the reasons I hate the government, but that's got "TLDR" written all over it. Basically, it comes down to these three aspects:

- Foreign policy. We invade/occupy other parts of the world, supply rebels with weapons, and then when those same rebels come back to attack us, we claim it's because we're "free and prosperous." Bullshit; terrorism is a predictable consequence of our foreign policies. We've got Roman Empire syndrome and nobody seems to be heeding histories warning.

- Drug wars. Land of the free, home of the brave, but if you want to smoke a joint your going to jail. The worst part of it all is the sheer amount of ignorance the American people demonstrate in regards to the far reaching negative repercussions of our drug laws. You want to get rid of "drug crime"? Get rid of the fucking drug laws. Not to mention the fact that industrial hemp (which is still federally illegal despite have <1% THC, which means it wouldn't get you high at all) could end our dependance on foreign oil overnight.

- The attitudes of the American people. We just don't give a shit. We're the god damn mafia wives of the world; we turn a blind eye to all the evil and self-destructive things that our government does, so long as we get a shiny new ipod and fast car. I mean, it isn't some great big fucking mystery, all the information is available. The worst is when people say things like "well, it isn't going to change so what's the point?" Only a fraction of us vote... do people not realize our greatest ability to change things is to vote? And why are people like Ron Paul (watch this video and tell me it doesn't make COMPLETE SENSE) considered "unelectable"? The only reason he's unelectable is because people won't get off their fuckin arses to go vote for somebody like him. It's even more depressing to hear something like, "well I'd vote for him/her, but I don't want to waste my vote."

I can't can't stand it anymore and am seriously contemplating a move. The sooner, the better. I don't expect any other place to be "better," per se, but maybe a government that's a little more compatible with my views...a country that isn't a war mongering, hypocritical evil empire. Moreover, I eventually want to have a family, and our government is continually compounding enormous amounts of debts on our future generations. So in addition to wanting to be out of the country before the Roman-esque collapse, I'd like to be in a place that hasn't systematically fucked over it's unborn successors. Any suggestions as to which countries I should consider?

Don't say Canada. I mean, you can say Canada, but it's sooooooo collldddddd up there, and I hate the cold!


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:13 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Hey there

Wow, when did you first start to feel like this?

Rob


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hey there

Wow, when did you first start to feel like this?

Rob


Being cynical, skeptical, and misanthropic is my natural disposition. But if you were wondering what possessed me to make this post, I was watching the news.


"The news"... such a deceptive title...

That's just another thing on a long laundry list. There's PBS, which nobody pays attention too, and then practically every other media outlet in run by a corporation.

It seems like there's no room for the individual anymore. No room for critical thinking. At least, that's how it feels most of the time.

What's worse is the fact that people talk about change all the time, yet everything stays the same.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Another thing. It might not bother me as much if things were actually told how it is. But if they did that, then nobody would support the government...

Take, for example, President Obama saying the U.S. won't turn a blind eye to the atrocities occurring in Libya, making it sound like we're morally superior. If he just outright said, "We want the fucking oil, that's the only reason we're doing all this," I wouldn't be so hot and bothered. But like I stated previously, if he said that, well then nobody would be supporting him.

People are so dumb. They buy into this kind of rhetoric without putting any thought into it whatsoever.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Another thing. It might not bother me as much if things were actually told how it is. But if they did that, then nobody would support the government...

Take, for example, President Obama saying the U.S. won't turn a blind eye to the atrocities occurring in Libya, making it sound like we're morally superior. If he just outright said, "We want the fucking oil, that's the only reason we're doing all this," I wouldn't be so hot and bothered. But like I stated previously, if he said that, well then nobody would be supporting him.

People are so dumb. They buy into this kind of rhetoric without putting any thought into it whatsoever.



That's because sadly most people either can't or won't think about it
3 days ago i was filling up with gas.
It's a monthly event for me with a Prius. The $4.15 price is still a bummer.
Right next to me was an overweight guy with an over sized SUV.
He leered at me and launched into a rhetoric about this was all Obama's fault
I simply said, "How so?"
He wrecked the economy and got us into Iraq and Afghanistan
I simply said "Are you sure"
His response - Try watching the fu%$ing news

I got in my Prius, smiled to myself and drove off
Rob


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Well I definitely don't want to get into a long drawn out political argument, so i'll just say that I don't share your views(and I definitely don't agree on the Libya situation), i'll admit our government has plenty of problems and i do agree with you on the drug laws, i'd have no problem whatsoever with marijuana being legalized(cocaine and heroin on the other hand, not so much) But to me the governments in all the other countries look even less appealing then ours, so i've learned to grudgingly accept what we have, also I think the Roman collapse is greatly exaggerated, I could see that happening to China long before it happens to us.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Also, some people don't vote because they simply believe that ALL politicians are corrupt and as such don't want to cast they're vote for anybody.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Robert Holloway wrote:
That's because sadly most people either can't or won't think about it
3 days ago i was filling up with gas.
It's a monthly event for me with a Prius. The $4.15 price is still a bummer.
Right next to me was an overweight guy with an over sized SUV.
He leered at me and launched into a rhetoric about this was all Obama's fault
I simply said, "How so?"
He wrecked the economy and got us into Iraq and Afghanistan
I simply said "Are you sure"
His response - Try watching the fu%$ing news

I got in my Prius, smiled to myself and drove off
Rob


This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. The only way things are going to change is if people realize their apathy with regards to things like foreign policy and the activities of our government, and that's never going to happen. Thus, it's fucking hopeless.

Hence why want to move to a different country.

I realize people are going to be douche bags no matter where I go, but I'd at least like to live in a place where intellectualism isn't viewed in a negative light, where things are discussed reasonably and logically. I'd like to live in a place where I can raise my kids without having to worry about them inheriting crushing debt. I'd like to live in a place that would only go to war as a very last resort. Maybe a place where corporations don't control everything, a place where the government exists to serve the people instead of special interest.

I'm probably expecting too much from a human institution. But I can at least hope there's a country out there that I can be comfortable being a citizen of.

And just so you know, Vexer, China has all our fucking money. If they collapse, we're fucked 5 ways from Tuesday. Also, don't be surprised in 10 years when there's a terrorist attack from an organization led by the very same Libyan rebels we're supporting now.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:07 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Vexer wrote:
Also, some people don't vote because they simply believe that ALL politicians are corrupt and as such don't want to cast they're vote for anybody.


This pretty much ensures that only corrupt evil fucks get elected.

Moreover Vexer, have you ever been to a different country? Do you have any insight or perspective on what the governments of other countries are like? If not, how can you make a claim like "well our government sucks but it's better than other places..."


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
This is not a comment aimed at one particular party. But being a foreigner and having lived here for 15 years I can say with some confidence your political system is badly broken.

Lobbyists and interest groups have too much with influence law makers to make decisions that have zero benefit for the people who elected them. Too much money is swilling round Washington. A documentary a few years ago showed your government at work voting - above each head were 4 signs for the money each member had taken from interested parties to the vote.

We are naive to believe that any one of would behave differently if we were offered a life of luxury for simply doing what everyone else already does.

It's a sad state of affairs
Rob


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Robert Holloway wrote:
This is not a comment aimed at one particular party. But being a foreigner and having lived here for 15 years I can say with some confidence your political system is badly broken.

Lobbyists and interest groups have too much with influence law makers to make decisions that have zero benefit for the people who elected them. Too much money is swilling round Washington. A documentary a few years ago showed your government at work voting - above each head were 4 signs for the money each member had taken from interested parties to the vote.

We are naive to believe that any one of would behave differently if we were offered a life of luxury for simply doing what everyone else already does.

It's a sad state of affairs
Rob


Rob for president.

But one comment on the "behave differently" bit. People are products of their environments, and well, monkey see monkey do. So if there was a concerted effort to be more altruistic, we might see great change in our society.

Money really is the root of all evil. I realize this is a radical statement, and may not be true, but as a type-1 diabetic I would not be surprised if there are already cures for many chronic illnesses, but the pharmaceutical companies make too much damned money off us being sick to give a shit. Just sit and think about all the good things we could accomplish that are within our capacity to do. COULD we end world hunger? Certainly. Do we? Of course not.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:19 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Also, some people don't vote because they simply believe that ALL politicians are corrupt and as such don't want to cast they're vote for anybody.


This pretty much ensures that only corrupt evil fucks get elected.

Moreover Vexer, have you ever been to a different country? Do you have any insight or perspective on what the governments of other countries are like? If not, how can you make a claim like "well our government sucks but it's better than other places..."

Well visiting another country simply isn't an option for me as I simply can't afford it, and you don't necessarily have to visit a country to determine if the government is any good or not, take China, Vietnam, or Mexico for example(North Korea and Cuba don't need to be listed for obvious reasons) they're governments are a thousand times worse then our own. I've heard more then enough horror stories from citizens of those countries to know that I will NEVER visit those places for as long as I live.

No offense to you Timmy, but I find it awfully difficult to take rants such as this seriously, it's highly doubtful that there's gonna be an attack from Libya. Anyways I think the UK(or England more specifically) is the best place for you to go.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:25 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Vexer wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Also, some people don't vote because they simply believe that ALL politicians are corrupt and as such don't want to cast they're vote for anybody.


This pretty much ensures that only corrupt evil fucks get elected.

Moreover Vexer, have you ever been to a different country? Do you have any insight or perspective on what the governments of other countries are like? If not, how can you make a claim like "well our government sucks but it's better than other places..."

Well visiting another country simply isn't an option for me as I simply can't afford it, and you don't necessarily have to visit a country to determine if the government is any good or not, take China, Vietnam, or Mexico for example(North Korea and Cuba don't need to be listed for obvious reasons) they're governments are a thousand times worse then our own. I've heard more then enough horror stories from citizens of those countries to know that I will NEVER visit those places for as long as I live.

No offense to you Timmy, but I find it awfully difficult to take rants such as this seriously, it's highly doubtful that there's gonna be an attack from Libya. Anyways I think the UK(or England more specifically) is the best place for you to go.


You do realize that Osama bin Laden was trained and armed by the CIA under President Reagan, right? We enabled him, and it came back to bite us in the ass on 9/11. So I'm not sure why a future attack from a Libyan terrorist organization is so far fetched.


What kind of horror stories have you heard from said citizens? Or are you talking about the stuff you watch on the news?

Everything you know about those governments is filtered through bias and bullshit. Unless you're studying government from an objective, unbiased institution (are there such institutes? perhaps a university/college, but even then...) So yes, unless you've been to those countries and have experienced firsthand what their governments are like, then you have no stake in your claims. Additionally, you're horribly mistaken if you think the U.S. doesn't have more than its fair share of horror stories.

You've been systematically duped into believing our government is the best, because well, that's how they WANT you to think. But it isn't true. And it's this sort of attitude that breeds the apathy that is so detrimental to our society.

Seriously, you're just demonstrating the reasons why I'm so annoyed with the American people.

Rob, you've lived outside the U.S.

I think your from the U.K. originally? Not sure. But I was wondering if you could tell me anything about France or the Netherlands? They're looking somewhat appealing to me currently.


Last edited by Timmy Shoes on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
If you're serious about leaving, may I suggest Central/South America, Belize or Ecuador especially. You can get a lot of house very cheaply and in Belize, English is a primary language.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 am
Profile
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
DylnFan96818 wrote:
If you're serious about leaving, may I suggest Central/South America, Belize or Ecuador especially. You can get a lot of house very cheaply and in Belize, English is a primary language.


I was thinking South America. The only thing I'm worried about is my type-1 diabetes, which is an obstacle for me when it comes to traveling, let alone moving. I'm going to have to familiarize myself with the healthcare systems in places like Belize or Ecuador (or Argentina, or Brazil, other places that appeal to me). But not being able to get insulin would be very, very bad. Actually it'd be a death sentence :lol:


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Another side note: this may be a humanistic trend that's not unique to United States citizens, but I cannot understand why certain people have opinions (opinions that they vehemently defend) on issues they don't fully comprehend.

Just look at that SUV driving fatass Rob brought up...

And I just saw that Vexer suggested I move to England. ROFLMAO. C'mon dude. the U.S. is nothing if not an extension of British imperialism (on steroids). Talk about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire...


Last edited by Timmy Shoes on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Robert Holloway wrote:
This is not a comment aimed at one particular party. But being a foreigner and having lived here for 15 years I can say with some confidence your political system is badly broken.

Lobbyists and interest groups have too much with influence law makers to make decisions that have zero benefit for the people who elected them. Too much money is swilling round Washington. A documentary a few years ago showed your government at work voting - above each head were 4 signs for the money each member had taken from interested parties to the vote.

We are naive to believe that any one of would behave differently if we were offered a life of luxury for simply doing what everyone else already does.

It's a sad state of affairs
Rob

Yeah don't we all know it, but i've got more important things to worry about then politics right now, like concentrating on my studies.

Timmy, I like living here just fine, i've got NO reason whatsoever to travel anywhere else, and besides like I said before, I couldn't do that even I wanted to because there's NO way I can possibly afford it. I'm just not a very cynical person, i'd much rather enjoy my life then worry about how corrupt our government is, not saying I don't care, I just have other things to worry about.

As for Brazil, good luck over there, just beware of the ultra-nationalists!


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:50 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Don't you realize that this kind of indifference is what FUELS and ENABLES all the corruption and evilness to occur in the first place?

There's a broader picture here, folks.


Vexer wrote:
Yeah don't we all know it,


This couldn't be further from the truth. And if it is, then that's even more pathetic; we realize the flaws and yet do nothing to fix them.

But you've done a good job proving all my points, so I owe you one xD

Also, just because you're ignorant of the negative repercussions of your government's (be it state or federal) policies have on your own individual life doesn't mean they aren't there.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
This is not a comment aimed at one particular party. But being a foreigner and having lived here for 15 years I can say with some confidence your political system is badly broken.

Lobbyists and interest groups have too much with influence law makers to make decisions that have zero benefit for the people who elected them. Too much money is swilling round Washington. A documentary a few years ago showed your government at work voting - above each head were 4 signs for the money each member had taken from interested parties to the vote.

We are naive to believe that any one of would behave differently if we were offered a life of luxury for simply doing what everyone else already does.

It's a sad state of affairs
Rob

Yeah don't we all know it, but i've got more important things to worry about then politics right now, like concentrating on my studies.

Timmy, I like living here just fine, i've got NO reason whatsoever to travel anywhere else, and besides like I said before, I couldn't do that even I wanted to because there's NO way I can possibly afford it. I'm just not a very cynical person, i'd much rather enjoy my life then worry about how corrupt our government is, not saying I don't care, I just have other things to worry about.

As for Brazil, good luck over there, just beware of the ultra-nationalists!


Don't you realize that this kind of indifference is what FUELS and ENABLES all the corruption and evilness to occur in the first place?

There's a broader picture here, folks.
Whatever you say man :roll: All I know is, i'd rather enjoy my life then to be consumed with hatred like you are. I'm not saying we're not corrupt(I have no doubt there IS a cure for AIDS somewhere, and I wouldn't put it past the government to have introduced crack cocaine to poor neighboorhoods) There's ALWAYS going to be corruption no matter WHERE you go, that's just inevitable, but our government doing questionable acts dosen't affect where or not my next assigment for my night class gets done, so it does me no good to obsess over that sort of thing.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 am
Post Re: The best place to move if you hate your government?
You think it doesn't effect you, but it does. In more ways than you'll ever understand.

How much use are you going to get out of having a college degree if the country self-destructs?

Nobody seems to think long term. We're all about instant gratification in this country, gleefully ignoring the fact that we're on a winding downward spiral. The hole keeps getting deeper, and we just keep on diggin'

History repeats itself, these things are cyclical.

Also, does anybody know much about Australia? They're ranked high on the HDI, but I've heard it's very hard to become a citizen. Also not sure how much credence to the HDI I should give considering the U.S. has the same rank as Australia.


Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr