Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

A very condensed rant about music 
Post A very condensed rant about music
Why do people allow radio/media/pop culture define their musical tastes? I mean, music is supposed to be about personal expression, so why is it that so many people don't go beyond what's getting airplay? Moreover, I really don't understand this whole flash-in-the-pan phenomenon. How can people be so in love with a song one week and then forget about the artist completely in the next? It just seems to me that the only function pop music serves is to give people who don't have any musical insight something to buy into... there's no room for the individual in music anymore, because the things people like are chosen for them...

That's not to say that there isn't worthy mainstream music out there, because there is. But the majority of it just seems like garbage created with the sole purpose of making a quick buck.

I should note that I'm a musician; I've been playing the drums for the greater part of 4 years now, and I am currently learning how to play the saxophone, so my knowledge/understanding of music is probably a little more advanced than the more casual listener. I also want to make the distinction that I'm not one of those pretentious assholes who acts like he/she's better than you just because of differing tastes in music; you can listen to whatever you want, I just don't understand people sometimes. I mean, music is a universal thing, but today it seems so... artificial? (There might be a better word to place here, just can't think of it.)

Take for example, a dear friend of mine. It seems his personal favorite artist at the time is whichever rapper is making the most money at the time. Not too long ago, all he was rocking was Lil Wayne. Now he disses Wayne and rocks Whiz Khalifa... is this really how people define their musical tastes nowadays? Because it's super pathetic.

Random thought: Am I the only person who puts entire albums on his ipod? I mean, aside from the musicians I play with and some of my friends, I'm like the only guy I know whose ipod has actual entire albums instead of just 1-2 hit songs from various pop artists.

Also, I did a lot of generalizing in this post, so nobody should think I'm being accusatory of them. I'm taking broad strokes here; the psyche of the masses, if you will.

Thoughts, comments, rebuttals welcome and encouraged.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm
Post Re: A very condensed rant about music
I'm not that big on most of today's music myself, I espeically HATE crappy pop-punk bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Fallout Boy, Snow Patrol, Matchbox 20, and the worst band of all time-Maroon 5! I mostly listen to alot of 80s music, but I do enjoy some pop music admittedly, though i'm always consistent about what I like, you won't ever see me dissing Miley Cyrus a week after listening to one of her songs(Yeah I like her music, go ahead and laugh).

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 pm
Vexer wrote:
I'm not that big on most of today's music myself, I espeically HATE crappy pop-punk bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Fallout Boy, Snow Patrol, Matchbox 20, and the worst band of all time-Maroon 5! I mostly listen to alot of 80s music, but I do enjoy some pop music admittedly, though i'm always consistent about what I like, you won't ever see me dissing Miley Cyrus a week after listening to one of her songs(Yeah I like her music, go ahead and laugh).

Well, I haven't actually heard any of Cyrus' music, so it wouldn't be fair of me to make a judgement call on that one. Sad but interesting fun fact about Maroon-5: from a technical standpoint, they're all talented musicians (in the respect that they're all good at their respective instruments). They were actually a heavy metal band at first, but failed miserably. Then they sold out and took off. Guess that's the way things work out sometimes. Of the crappy pop-punk bands you listed, I'd say that Green Day has some redeeming qualities. I mean, ultimately they're nothing particularly special, but they're not as bad as people make them out to seem. I feel like they're one of those bands whose either hated or loved, and there's no middle ground. People dislike them or like them just to be fashionable.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well, I haven't actually heard any of Cyrus' music, so it wouldn't be fair of me to make a judgement call on that one. Sad but interesting fun fact about Maroon-5: from a technical standpoint, they're all talented musicians (in the respect that they're all good at their respective instruments). They were actually a heavy metal band at first, but failed miserably. Then they sold out and took off. Guess that's the way things work out sometimes. Of the crappy pop-punk bands you listed, I'd say that Green Day has some redeeming qualities. I mean, ultimately they're nothing particularly special, but they're not as bad as people make them out to seem. I feel like they're one of those bands whose either hated or loved, and there's no middle ground. People dislike them or like them just to be fashionable.

Whoa there hold the phone! Maroon 5 started out as heavy metal?! :shock: That's news to me! I was only familiar with stuff like "She Will Be Loved" because my younger sister used to play that shit ALL the time, IMO the lead singer of that band is the WORST vocalist EVER, he just sounds so incredibly gay for lack of a better description, his voice makes me want to rn little kids over, it's THAT fucking bad! :evil:

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Vexer wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Whoa there hold the phone! Maroon 5 started out as heavy metal?! :shock: That's news to me! I was only familiar with stuff like "She Will Be Loved" because my younger sister used to play that shit ALL the time, IMO the lead singer of that band is the WORST vocalist EVER, he just sounds so incredibly gay for lack of a better description, his voice makes me want to rn little kids over, it's THAT fucking bad! :evil:

I don't particularly like his voice either, but that's probably what swoons all the women into buying their albums. And I'm not entirely sure if heavy metal was the genre they played before they sold out, but I do know that they changed their style from whatever it was originally into the "gay" (for lack of a better word) style that they still use today.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Why do people allow radio/media/pop culture define their musical tastes?

The easy answer is that many people just want to fit in. They hear that something is popular so they end up liking it too. At least that's my explanation for The Black Eyed Peas.

However, the reality is that finding good music requires work. It's an active process. Most people simply do not have the time or the desire to seek out good music. Left to their own devices, they come across music passively. That is, they hear whatever is playing on the radio during their commute or whenever the hell people listen to the radio.

I was certainly in this category for a while. I stuck to one station that had a rock theme and together with MTV came across bands like Korn. That was the only access I had to music for the entirety of High School and I'd slowly purchase an album every two months or so. However, after a few years of doing that I just became fed up and stopped listening to music at all. Part of the reason I'm soft on copyright infringement is because it opened up a whole new world for me. When I finally got broadband a friend asked me to download some albums from artists he had heard about. I did and listened to everything. I only found one artist that I really loved, but I started to search for stuff people were speaking about online, downloading it and then making up my own mind. Over the last couple of years I've bought several albums from artists whose songs have never (and probably will never) play on any radio station over here. Again, I've only come across these bands because I've put in some effort. Without the Internet I'd either have stopped listening to music at all or be buying a Lady Gaga album right now.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:39 pm
Well I aleternate between over a dozen radio stations, so you can't say I have shallow tastes, I don't buy music from popular artists like Lady Gaga either, because it's readily availible to listen to on Youtube so it's makes little sense for me to pay full price for something that I can listen to for free.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Why do people allow radio/media/pop culture define their musical tastes? I mean, music is supposed to be about personal expression, so why is it that so many people don't go beyond what's getting airplay? Moreover, I really don't understand this whole flash-in-the-pan phenomenon. How can people be so in love with a song one week and then forget about the artist completely in the next? It just seems to me that the only function pop music serves is to give people who don't have any musical insight something to buy into... there's no room for the individual in music anymore, because the things people like are chosen for them...

This isn’t exactly a new phenomenon, and with the internet and all the various ways you can buy music these days, I think things are a lot more spread out than what they were just a decade or two ago. It just seems like it’s easier these days for a talented band that doesn’t produce easily digestible music to find an audience.

And do things really shift around that much at the top of the charts? I only catch music videos when I’m at the gym (and I’m usually doing my best to block it out with my own music) but it does seem to be the same few videos by the same few artists. New artists come in and older artists leave, but I don’t think it happens at the lightning rate you’re suggesting it does. And hell, there are a ton of artists I’ve listened to for a couple of weeks before moving on to something else. Sometimes I’ll come back to them and find myself with a whole new appreciation, but not always.

As to why it happens, I’ll agree with Ed. It’s easier these days to find music that I enjoy, but it still takes a bit of effort. It’s something that I’ve teased my girlfriend about a lot. Outside of a few exceptions, most of the music she listens to is top forty stuff that I can’t stand. But I don’t even know how she could go about finding music she’d like that isn’t on the radio/tv. I have my own methods, but they’re hardly scientific, and since my own tastes are different, my suggestions are rarely helpful. It’s a conundrum I tells ya.

Timmy Shoes wrote:
Random thought: Am I the only person who puts entire albums on his ipod? I mean, aside from the musicians I play with and some of my friends, I'm like the only guy I know whose ipod has actual entire albums instead of just 1-2 hit songs from various pop artists.

Nah, I’ve always done this. That does mean I’ll occasionally buy albums with only a couple of worthwhile songs though.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:28 pm
I'm older than most and years ago I used to go down to the record store and listen to albums recommended by the guys who worked there. they were all into music and a great source of new and interesting stuff.

When I came to the States I was at Tower all the time on their listening posts in san Francisco. Trips to new York always meant the big music stores. I found this insanely cool little store in Berkeley, but like Tower it's now gone.

Finding great music does require some effort and the feeling of joy in discovering something new is wondrous. I got into visiting small concerts in Berkeley and home concerts as well. Music was part of my life.

Then it became digital, the stores closed and the places to find new stuff disappeared. I may be old fashioned but searching iTunes is not the same as chatting with people in record stores who have a real passion for what they like.

Timmy, radio has always defined taste. In 1972 the whole of Britain would listen in on Sunday night as the BBC top 20 countdown was announced. It had been an institution for decades. My parents in 40's and 50's told me that radio was their main source of music. Hell, watch Woody Allen's Radio Days.

I love great music, not a genre of a star. I had over 1400 CD's at one point. Now i don't buy more than 1-2 a year.

Sad state of affairs.
Rob

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
AJR wrote:
This isn’t exactly a new phenomenon, and with the internet and all the various ways you can buy music these days, I think things are a lot more spread out than what they were just a decade or two ago. It just seems like it’s easier these days for a talented band that doesn’t produce easily digestible music to find an audience.

You know, I really wonder how things will change in the next couple of decades. Particularly when people who have never known a life without broadband start buying music, going to the cinema etc. The previous generations absorbed information through the television (and through the radio, to an extent) but most young people already spend more time online than looking at the tv.

Will this lead to a more informed population with a more discerning taste? I certainly hope so...

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
AJR wrote:

You know, I really wonder how things will change in the next couple of decades. Particularly when people who have never known a life without broadband start buying music, going to the cinema etc. The previous generations absorbed information through the television (and through the radio, to an extent) but most young people already spend more time online than looking at the tv.

Will this lead to a more informed population with a more discerning taste? I certainly hope so...

Ed,
It's weird. I had no internet as a kid and my kids have no desire to even have cable or satellite. All they want is Playstation network, Netflix instant and the internet via their iPod touches.
Rob

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm