Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
If God exists, why does He need to be recognized? 
Author Message
Post If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
This isn't a discussion on the inherent difficulties of faith or organized structures, but a logical question that demands a logical answer. Why does God, if he exists, need us to worship him? Wouldn't it be more prudent to have us simply live by moral principles?


Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:36 pm
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
I suspect he made these demands because he knew they would create endless hilarious arguments on the internet.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:58 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Most people pay lip service to God being the "3 O's" - ominpotent, omniscient, omnipresent. In fact, the God that most people worship is none of those three things.

As to the topic at hand: I think the general belief isn't that God needs worshippers but God allows us to worship him because WE need to worship. And, regardless of whether or not there is a god, I'd agree that there does seem to be something in the collective human psyche that wants to believe there's something bigger than eveything out there.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
.


Last edited by Edy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Edy wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
This isn't a discussion on the inherent difficulties of faith or organized structures, but a logical question that demands a logical answer. Why does God, if he exists, need us to worship him? Wouldn't it be more prudent to have us simply live by moral principles?



You can even take it further than that. If there is a god, then its the most complex being possible. Anthing that created the universe, decided the laws of physics, designed the structure of the atom and so on has to be incredibly complex. If there is something like this out there, why is it concerned about moral principles? A superior being that knows exactly how many cells are in your body has human social norms? come on...

Why not?
Your argument boiled down to, "come on."
Not much of a case. We need a little bit more to go on than that.
If this being created us all, why wouldn't he be concerned with how we treat each other? He doesn't want us to destroy everything he created.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Edy wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
This isn't a discussion on the inherent difficulties of faith or organized structures, but a logical question that demands a logical answer. Why does God, if he exists, need us to worship him? Wouldn't it be more prudent to have us simply live by moral principles?



You can even take it further than that. If there is a god, then its the most complex being possible. Anthing that created the universe, decided the laws of physics, designed the structure of the atom and so on has to be incredibly complex. If there is something like this out there, why is it concerned about moral principles? A superior being that knows exactly how many cells are in your body has human social norms? come on...


I can't help but think of Dr. Manhatten after reading that.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
.


Last edited by Edy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
And now that you mention it I am reminded of Dr. Manhattan. haha.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Personally, my head gets all sore when I try and think of matters like this. So I just chalk it up as God actually being the ultimate manifestation of positive human emotion, and not actually an omnipotent playing Sims 2 with us. Or that he's actually the God from Douglas Preston's Blasphemy.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:42 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Ok, work with me on this. Think about exercise. We do it to try and stay in shape. If we don't, things can get a little flabby. If you hired a personal trainer to help you get in shape, would you do the things he asked of you?

Apply that same principle to faith of any kind and there you go. You go to church regularly and have bible study every week, I guarantee that you will feel like a different person than one who doesn't. But he absolutely does not "make us" worship him. If you ask the Lord into your life, you should do what he says, because you asked him.


Silly analogy but I think it applies.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Dangerous territory,

I'm half expecting to be banished to Tibet - but don't do that as movie theaters out there are a bit sketchy.

As a Buddhist I respect and am curious about people's faith, religions and their beliefs

No God here,
no prayers,
no after life,
just mind control,
moral and ethical principles,
meditation,
a pursuit of happiness
and a belief that one day you'll all know that
Citizen Kane is better than Dark Knight
and Morrissey is no mope :-)

It is written!
Rob


Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:44 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Edy wrote:
But listen to what your saying. Why would it even have the need to 'concern'. Or have any 'need' for that matter. You can't simply just label this thing as god. Just saying its god is way to simple. If there is somthing that that is so incredible that it was able to create all the stars, the intricacy of circulatory systems, light waves and so on, it has to be complex beyond comprehension. Why would this thing have petty human feelings? Why would it be concerned with anything, let alone how one human treats another? Also, my argument didn't boil down to 'come on', there was much more there than that.


Actually, I'd turn the question around. If God is an intelligence complex beyond comprehension, why wouldn't it be concerned with how one human treats another? Why would it only look at the 'big picture', instead of being able to see how the movement of a single molecule affects the whole of His creation? Human morality may not be as important to Him as it is to us - but why would it be unimportant? You cannot imagine that a being who created the entire universe can take an interest in the lives of every single sentient living thing - but isn't that a human limitation?


Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Maybe God takes morality seriously because it's a fundamental part of His nature? That's to say, being "Good" isn't merely something you do just to maintain order, but 'goodness', 'holiness' is something that one can cultivate forever like the growing of a muscle, in a physical sense. If we are His creation, then every good quality that we have, He must have, and more. Right?


Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:26 pm
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Heff wrote:
I suspect he made these demands because he knew they would create endless hilarious arguments on the internet.


the only bit of sense that can be made on such a thread.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:51 pm
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
aameen wrote:
Heff wrote:
I suspect he made these demands because he knew they would create endless hilarious arguments on the internet.


the only bit of sense that can be made on such a thread.

probably.


Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

We were born sinners, but repenting our sins and accepting Jesus Christ, who shed his blood for all mankind on the Cross in Calvary and paid our sin debt in full, as our personal savior, we are born again and will have eternal life.


Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:15 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Quote:
Final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God...The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.


-- Douglas Adams


Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:16 am
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Robert Holloway wrote:
Dangerous territory,

I'm half expecting to be banished to Tibet - but don't do that as movie theaters out there are a bit sketchy.

As a Buddhist I respect and am curious about people's faith, religions and their beliefs

No God here,
no prayers,
no after life,
just mind control,
moral and ethical principles,
meditation,
a pursuit of happiness
and a belief that one day you'll all know that
Citizen Kane is better than Dark Knight
and Morrissey is no mope :-)

It is written!
Rob


If forced into a corner, I'd probably label myself as a Nondualist (as such I abhor labels, natch), with a side order of Zen and Taoism, nor do I pretend the following to be anything more than pitiful attempts of a hopelessly ignorant pseudo-dualistic creature futilely trying to put the Absolute into dualistic/linguistic terms, an endeavor doomed from the start:

God is me, you and everything, no separation, no nothing
Heaven/Nirvana is right here, right now, you don't have to "wait" for anything or worship anyone
Consciousness is the fundamental building block of the multiverse, is always present in the Eternal Now


Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 pm
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
Quote:
God is me, you and everything, no separation, no nothing
Heaven/Nirvana is right here, right now, you don't have to "wait" for anything or worship anyone
Consciousness is the fundamental building block of the multiverse, is always present in the Eternal Now


Amen brother :D


Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 pm
Post Re: If God exists, why does He need to be recognized?
TunaFanForever wrote:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hm...is it a bad thing that I recgnzed that quote from Escape from LA? :D


Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr